supercharger

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

supercharger

Post by jony9 »

Hi all I am new to this site,

my names jon from south wales

I am in the middle of getting some money together to put a supercharger on my 1998 1.9 z3, has anyone done this yet and if so will there be a noticeable difference?

Thanx jon.
nkfb1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: supercharger

Post by nkfb1 »

I own a 2.8 and looked into it just for the hell of it . Cost was more than my car ! Performance about 90 bhp extra. But just not worth it . I could have bought an M for that .

If you want to boost your 1.9 my advice is sell it and get the 2.8 or 3.0 . The drive train etc is all sorted and the power is to be honest more than sufficient to but a big grin on your face and music to your ears.

It's not just about slapping the supercharger on. Your other parts just wont be up to it and you insurance will be astronomical compared to just getting the bigger engine.

My advice DON'T DO IT.

Best wishes .
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Have a read of this thread: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... percharger

Mark had quite a bit of fun with a supercharger on an M44-engined 1.9.

Stu still runs a supercharger on his 2.8 - had it on quite a lot of years now.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

There was a very detailed 1.9 conversion by Mark Norton, where he did an epic amount of work & didn't complete or sold on before it got out much.

Our m52-the with ESS Vortech V2 is brilliant. It wasn't cheap, is similar to an M car (but totally Q) and is a keeper. For a car now, surely uneconomical.

No regrets for us though.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

Well I need to buy a mini cooper charger firstly, then I need the fitting kit in all its going to cost £2000, the thing is with myz3 it's not the case of just selling and getting a bigger engined car its more sentimental.
nkfb1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nkfb1 »

Ahhhh .

Ok then if sentimental then don't abuse her ( or him ? ) cherish her to get her looking as good as she can would be my advice and protect her underneath. JR Classics do a fantastic job re undersealing.

Good luck
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Back !
I got greedy and needed more power! That's the only reason why I sold the charger from the 1.9
It charges well, the engine is behind the front axle on the 1.9 so you get good balance with a good power increase
If I was to do it again I would turbo and run an inter cooler as engine and charge temp is the main enemy when building
Still modifying
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

markrnorton wrote:Back !
I got greedy and needed more power! That's the only reason why I sold the charger from the 1.9
It charges well, the engine is behind the front axle on the 1.9 so you get good balance with a good power increase
If I was to do it again I would turbo and run an inter cooler as engine and charge temp is the main enemy when building

Bit of a late reply.. lol I am still in the middle of doing to supercharger. When you say you would go down the turbo route I did look into it but there was nothing about.