Strut Brace questions

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Strut Brace questions

Post by Z3 Mark »

Is a strut brace as it appears, literally just a metal bar that bolts to the top of the struts? Nothing it going to fall out removing the bolts first is it? I can foresee something underneath falling down :lol:

Everyone on here seems to think they improve the handling and if it is just a bolt on job I think I might have to get one :D

Also more to the point does anyone have any recommendations on one or where to get one and is there anything else I may need to know seeing as I have a tiny little 1.9 :lol:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Strut Brace questions

Post by Del »

It's safe to remove the 3 little strut top bolts on a stationary car - nothing drops off :D I have one fitted to my 1.9. I fitted it at the same time as renewing the shock absorbers and refreshing the anti-roll bars. Shortly before, I had also replaced the front wishbones (aka control arms). All together, it was like driving a new car :)

I would be wary about just fitting a strut brace if the other suspension parts are all a bit tired. The strut brace for the 1.9 is quite rare as it has to clear the top of the inlet manifold - mine is made by a firm called E Tech. Picture of mine below.

Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Del wrote:I would be wary about just fitting a strut brace if the other suspension parts are all a bit tired. The strut brace for the 1.9 is quite rare as it has to clear the top of the inlet manifold
Sod it, that pretty much puts an end to that idea then! Everything on the car feels bloody warn and bit by bit I'm "refreshing" it, so thought the brace could be part of that, I'd rather not risk messing anything up so It'll have to wait until the distant future then I guess.

Thank you for the detailed reply, really grateful :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I would say the brace is the "icing on the cake" and best to get the cake sorted out first :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Del wrote:I would say the brace is the "icing on the cake" and best to get the cake sorted out first :)
Amen to that, so many people want to mod a car before getting the basics sorted
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keynun »

As everyone else says, sort out the suspension until you are happy with it, then add in a strut brace. It won't make as much difference as new shocks/springs/wishbones at the front.

I recently got a new strut brace from these guys:
http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/ ... MW/z3.html

I bought the weicher sport steel (Red) for my 2.8, fitted on well and looks good. Cheap too at £90 delivered, there's quite a few options on there.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

When I got mine I asked gookah for his advise... Bearing in mind his car has been looked after very well, his advise was similar to what has already been said.

Replace tyres to remove most of the tramlining
Replace bushes and suspension if you can, whilst it's often not a failure they are often 15+ years old
Then fit a strut brace as the cherry on the Kipling
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

I would agree that if everything else is worn it needs replacing - so don't do strut brace as an alternative...
but I can't see it making the car worse even if the other bits are not yet done, so wouldn't be worried about the order in which you do it...

I added a strut brace to my 3.0l it transformed the car...
the car is at 123k and still running on the original suspension which doesn't appear to need changing I have just spent a day in it with one of the top driving trainers in the country driving it as well as me and he felt it was very sorted... we also were throwing it around at Bruntingthorpe doing very high speed chicanes / stopping / slaloms / etc. - no issues...
so don't assume that the suspension is dead just because of age...

Alasdair
billibob

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by billibob »

Fitted one to my 3.0 ltr about 3 months ago. Not a massive difference but is still noticeable. I think straight one's are better as no chance of flexing, as this is why you would fit one.
I also fitted one on my E46 330 tourer around the same time, same effect. 8-)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Don't forget to tell your insurers. It must be No.1 on the checklist for get-out-clauses on BMWs by now.
Pingu
swappy

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by swappy »

Do they charge you more if you tell them? :roll:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

swappy wrote:Do they charge you more if you tell them? :roll:
Some do, some don't. But one thing is sure, if you don't tell them and they find out, they won't pay out in full.
Pingu
nkfb1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nkfb1 »

I agree tyres first . Rest depends on mileage re the rest of suspension. Rear bushes on front wishbones may have some play and are a cheap fix.

Try googling Weichers strut bar and bearing in mind how much your car weighs don't worry about aluminium. Steel is cheaper and inherently stronger . Go for a straight bar if you can. I like mine on my 2.8. Placebo or not it just feels tighter and is also an reinforcement to the turrets which can fail if you push them very hard regularly . Should be fine for just everyday driving though.

Admiral charge and extra £17 per year .

Don't forget you are supposed to have feed back, and it s a sports car. If you don't want that but a JAG :D
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

anybody knows if an E30 4cyl strut brace will fit a 4cyl Z3? i found one made from aluminum in a very good price
wassell

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wassell »

I doubt it as e30 braces wont fit an e36, and the z3 uses an e36 front end.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

wassell wrote:I doubt it as e30 braces wont fit an e36, and the z3 uses an e36 front end.
So an e36 4cyl strut brace, fits a 4cyl z3?
wassell

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wassell »

Maybe. Ive tried e36 braces on the z3 and they fouled the bonnet.
lmrdave

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lmrdave »

Get a solid one piece bar. If it's bolted to separate mounts like 90% of the ones I've seen it's pretty much useless.

I got a solid bar (forget the make - will check) for an E36 (cost about £100), it fouled the bonnet . . . until I took an angle grinder to it :D
1998 Z3 2.8 Arctic Silver
1991 Mazda MX5
1987 Nissan Silvia
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

FYI - I seem to remember the 1.9 version has to be bent to get over the top of the engine
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i don't know if it makes any difference, but my engine is the M43 1.8 8V i think it "sits" lower than the double camshaft M44 1.9
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hi all. I purchased an ASC straight front strut brace from E-bay and fitted it to Zelda. I had to ream out the 6 fixing holes a little to allow the flanges on the nuts to fit the recesses in the plates. The ones adjacent to the welds more than the others.
The plates are contoured to fit over the raised sections on top of the struts and the earth terminal cut out is in the correct place. Just a few wiggles were necessary when connecting up, but it all went together okay. The strut is a beefy, solid piece of kit. and most importantly there were no clearance issues when closing the bonnet, just a little more pull required on the release handle. I would recommend it. Will get the Strong Strut rear brace sometime soon, even though it is pricey!

Cheers all,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.