We've been bumped

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

We've been bumped

Post by chrisp_1 »

Looking for advice on how to handle this situation :?:

I went out with the dog last night and found a note on the mrs's car (Renault Modus BTW :lol: ) saying "sorry I bumped your car whilst reversing, I don't think there is any damage but if there is give me a call".

Name and phone number were left which is a bonus.

Car has dint in boot panel and scratches through paint on bumper.

Its a funny metallic colour (browny purple) so painting isn't going to be easy.

:head:

She works shifts and is up in bed so not seen the damage yet.

At the end of the day this devalues the car somewhat so we're gonna need it sorting,..... Properly :!:

Question is how best to proceed, I''m tempted to ring insurance company (as per their policy of reporting such stuff asap) and give the guys details and let them handle it from here - WHAT WOULD YOU DO :?:

I know this is harsh on the bloke in question but then again I don't fancy ringing him and dealing with it privately either, just gonna be a PITA :head:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: We've been bumped

Post by Gazza »

Ring the number to make sure it's genuine.

If you do it privately you will need to do all the running around, estimates/car hire etc.

I would ring the number and tell them you intend doing it via insurance, there could be damage more than the eye can see, broken brackets etc.

You will need his name and address and car reg
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Thanks Gazza.

Well, I don't fancy doing the running around bit for sure :x

The Mrs is a Police Officer so we need to do this by the book, her insurance stipulates she must inform them with 24h of being aware, hence why I wondered if best just to ring them first?
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Think you've answered the question yourself. If the Mrs is a police officer then you should go 100% by the book and notify the insurance etc
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Thanks Phil,

I got an answer phone on his land-line so I've left my number for a call back. I've also texted him with our landline as we've not got enough reception to make/receive calls round here.

Looks like I best call her insurance in the meantime - hopefully he'll call me back later today and I'll explain the situation.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The guy just rang me back - he's also a Police Officer at the same station as the Mrs :roflmao:, apparently he reversed into her in the carpark by work :lol: that's what night shifts do to your driving :nono

They're going to do it by the book afterall :rtm:
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

good to see honesty on his part ....
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Yes, good to see honesty anywhere these days :D
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

PCSAM wrote:good to see honesty on his part ....

Good to see it was probably on camera more like...... :wink:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

I would say always best to go through insurance - someone reversed into my TT earlier this year whilst it was parked in a restaurant car par park. What looked like some small scratches, turned out to be much more, it had actually shoved the bumper up on to the bodywork and put a hairline crack in the rear light. It ended up costing a few hundred to put it right, and it was the chef who had just finished her shift :shock:
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Just finished with the "chips" was she... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

:roflmao: :roflmao: yes she had, what was extremely strange was that i had just thought seconds before, wouldnt it be awful if someone bumped my car ( I leave it in public places as little as possible) when a waitress came in to the room and anounced - Has Anyone here got a silver TT in the carpark :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: The thought had nothing to do with what we were all talking about either :shock:
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...a TT... just like a girl...!! I'm surprised sha didn't describe it by colour as most women reply to "what kind of car is it?"...... :D
"Normal is overrated"

seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

She did :D I was parked right under the only light in the carpark - and the chef had reversing sensors on her car, what good use they turned out to be :?
[/url]
ImageImageImage
cooknerkid

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cooknerkid »

My mate has reversing sensors on his BMW, and he recently reversed straight into a brick wall and smashed all the bumper in-- He said he didnt even hear the beepers go off, and then he realised he was in the wifes Mazda 6 !!!!!! :lol:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

cooknerkid wrote:My mate has reversing sensors on his BMW, and he recently reversed straight into a brick wall and smashed all the bumper in-- He said he didnt even hear the beepers go off, and then he realised he was in the wifes Mazda 6 !!!!!! :lol:
Quality ha ha

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I guess that's what happens with "dependencies"... we crash when we don't have them... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

:lol: it's always a good idea to look where your going rather than rely on parking sensors :roll:

On a positive note the Modus is being picked-up for repair this Wednesday, the garage hasn't got a courtesy car until then due to having 4 of them crashed last week :roflmao: :shrug