Who will you see on the motorways ?

Discussions on better road driving, advanced courses and the like
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Who will you see on the motorways ?

Post by Southernboy »

How many Zed's will you see on the motorways if the proposed tax changes for motorway use is implemented ? We have a similar proposal happening right now here in Johannesburg..the upshot of it will be a 30c / km fee for using the motorways...Understandably many people are not too keen...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Who will you see on the motorways ?

Post by Robert T »

I can see it now... The Road Tax Riots... :wink:

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep...you're right!! The largest trade union here has already stated that they will not accept the proposal, and will "have their members go on strike to support their position"
Last time some miners tried that here - about a month ago - 35 of them were shot!! This could be a civil war by those stats...
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

its a total balls of an idea ....... £40 billion raised per year on car tax ..... under 10 billion per year spent on roads ...... :bawl:
it will cause more accidents and speeding fines :!: the death rate will rise also as the rat race in small towns and villages will be a nightmare ......
it may work in London but not in the rest of the UK :shock:
and what's the cost going to be to retrofit the black boxes to millions of cars :head:
black boxes = big brother . automatic speeding fines if your foot slips on the gas pedal :oops:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I must say, revenue collection from the masses seems to becoming very popular as a means of offsetting govt debt...here we have the president spending 200 million on his pvt home, while 24 million people are out of work and being supported by the taxes of the working people...personally, I reckon it's time for another revolution...bring out the guillotines... :D
"Normal is overrated"

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I guess I'm going to need another set of velcro number plates :twisted: .
Pingu
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Drive the Lanes, much more fun than a Motorway :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The back roads are always more interesting, and a better drive.
"Normal is overrated"

Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Fitting black boxes, number plate recognition cameras checking on whos paid is just crazy. It could never be fully implimented without massive cost to everyone. Checp option is to replace car tax with duty on fuel. The more you use the more you pay and difficult to avoid paying. Commercial vehicles would have to be somewhat exempt of cost of everything will rise accordingly.
My approach was to move to France where one off registration cost covers the tax element. Of course other "Gendame grab tax" for minor offences takes place quite often. Also Toll motorways exist for long journeys and can be cost/time effective. The French tend to avoid toll roads for more local travel and to be honest the A Roads are a joy to drive along as long as you slow down in villages.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Mike wrote:............... It could never be fully implimented without massive cost to everyone. ...........
Very unfortunately that's not actually correct. The last 2 upgrades to the motorway communications systems means that there would be very little cost involved but, for obvious reasons the Highways Agency / Government haven't made this public knowledge. The majority of DBFO (Design, Build, Finance and Operate) schemes currently in operation are paid using "shadow" tolls and the automated systems are quite sophisticated. They are also very accurate as they are independently audited each year. IMO some form of tolling will probably be introduced, possibly for those traveling in peak periods, at some point in the future.

I was asked a few weeks ago about what information is used for the information the signs; e.g. To Junction xx, 34 miles, 32 minutes. The answer is ANPR as there is now just about 100% coverage of the whole motorway network, plus CCTV as well.

Back roads at 5am appears to be the future :D
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Zed Carer wrote:Back roads at 5am appears to be the future :D
Sadly not, due to the proposal of cutting the national speed limit to 40mph on rural roads. :(

Still, at least they haven't brought the man with a flag back yet... :evil:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Robert T wrote:
Zed Carer wrote:Back roads at 5am appears to be the future :D
Sadly not, due to the proposal of cutting the national speed limit to 40mph on rural roads. :(

Still, at least they haven't brought the man with a flag back yet... :evil:

Cheers R.
I don't see a problem as long as they enforce rural speed limits as they do now :twisted: .
Pingu