Z4M vs Z3M

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
Z3MDriver

M roadster S50

Z4M vs Z3M

Post by Z3MDriver »

Just curious if anyone with Z4M has owned a Z3M before, and if - can you compare them against each other ... +/- :shock:

Which is more fun, to drive
Feel / traction
Comfort
Engine
Acceleration feel S54 vs S50
«» Z3 3.2 ///M Roadster - S50B32
«» Cruise control
«» RAID Daytona Race 340mm Steering Wheel with Airbag
«» AC Schnitzer Shortshift
«» Storm Motorwerks Gear knob
«» AC Schnitzer Electric Seats
«» AC Schnitzer Carbon centre console + door trim
«» SCHMIDT REVOLUTION 19's Wheels
«» Eisenmann Race Exhaust 4x83mm + Supersprint Center exhaust
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Z4M vs Z3M

Post by Jonttt »

Z3MDriver wrote:Just curious if anyone with Z4M has owned a Z3M before, and if - can you compare them against each other ... +/- :shock:

Which is more fun, to drive
Feel / traction
Comfort
Engine
Acceleration feel S54 vs S50
I've owned an S50 Z3m roady, own an S54 and have driven a Z4m (my brothers).

The difference re Z4vZ3 are pretty much the same whichever engine is in ie the Z4 is a more refined, better put together car from a different era but for me the Z3 is the timeless more classic rear wheel drive sports car.

In simple terms for me the Z4 was a bigger compromise to satisfy a wider audience (the current Z4 even more so) whereas the Z3 has less refinement but a more genuine sports car feel to it.

I am obviously biased choosing a Z3 over a Z4 and as always its down to personal taste but for me as a keeper car with timeless classic looks and the right balance of "old" school v modern the Z3 wins hands down.

However, as a daily driver things would be closer as the Z4 is (as it was designed) the better all round package (although I've never really grown to love its looks).

The s54 v s50 is probably a clearer debate for me. ie line a Z4 and Z3 up together and I would choose the Z3, others would choose the Z4 but line an S54 engine and an S50 and I think the vast majority would pick the S54 as it was widely regarded as a genuine refinement / improvement over the S50 engine.

But in real world driving its not as clear and I think to the majority of those same people who chose the later S54 engine just becuase it was the later and therefore "must be better" engine, if you gave them two cars to drive without telling them which engine was in which, the decision would be less clear. ie a well sorted S50 engine is a great engine and the differences are more "subtle" than most will appreciate in a blind test. The S54 will feel sthat bit smoother, rev free'er and push that bit harder but you would need a few runs in each to get a feel for the differences.

All in my opinion of course and others will disagree, they are both such emotive questions with no real right or wrong answer :wink:

But I looooove my Z3 S54 roady for all of the above and the icing on the cake is its sooooo rare in RHD :twisted:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
doclip

M roadster S54

Re: Z4M vs Z3M

Post by doclip »

I owned an S54 Z3 and stupidly sold it a few years back and now have an S54 Z4 as the latter was much cheaper .
The Z4 is really a much better roadster all round in terms of handling ,comfort although I only use them as weekend toys ,so can't comment as daily drivers . I also like the modern look of the Z4 as I feel the Z3 looks dated nowadays ,but some folk like the retro look . I never felt confident in the Z3 while the Z4 feels more reassuring and less likely to bite or scare you . Neither inspire confidence when it's wet and you have to be careful with the throttle . Also I couldn't afford a Z3 any more .