Z4M CSL - Stage 3 Mods :-)

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
Z4M CSL

Z4 M roadster

Z4M CSL - Stage 3 Mods :-)

Post by Z4M CSL »

Hello,

Hope you guys don't mind me putting this post in again as I put previously in the wrong section (M Roadster Z3). Regards.

There has been many questions on many boards regarding modifications to the lovely BMW Z4M. In standard trim it is a very capable car with little deficiencies. I have always been a fan of the M3 CSL. Its dynamics and not forgetting that induction roar! So I decided to try and do a CSL- like conversion on my Z4M. I wanted to keep the car naturally aspirated, no forced induction. I contacted various tuning dealers with limited success and that's when I came across CA-Automotive who I found very knowledgeable and conservative with power gain estimates .

One thing that was very important to me was the aftercare as I had a bad experience many years ago tuning a RX7 I use to own. I have already gone through 2 stages of detailed tuning and have found CA-Automotive to be very helpful but most importantly provided good aftercare and support. I must say the car sounds fantastic (incredible Induction roar) and is much quicker. I have to say they have the most BMW tuning stuff I've ever seen on any web-site. You could spend hours reading the stuff...Unfortunately for my wallet I think I have !! LOL.

Well I have now decided to embark on my third set on modifications to formally address the handling, braking, aerodynamics and not to forget and bit more power. For handling I have decided to go for Ground Control Anti-roll bars, Nitron Coil-over's and Rogue RTA bushes, with custom KDS geometry recommended by CA . For aerodynamics I have gone for AC_Schnitzer Carbon Fibre rear diffuser, CA - Custom made front carbon fibre corner splitters under the front spoiler air ducts and small splitters / Cannards on the rear of side skirts just in front of the rear wheels ( again custom made by CA ) . For better braking I am adding up-rated Axxis Ultimate brake pads and Goodridge brake lines and for power a Super Sprint Right Hand Drive Stepped Header with further adjustments to my existing Alpha N map to optimise their effect. Supersprint don’t actually make headers officially for the Z4M, but CA-Automotive did some investigation with Super Sprint on the E46 M3 headers and are quite confident they can be made to fit . Can't wait to see how these set of modifications work. I'll update more when I get the car back.

You can see my car in it’s current form on CA-Automotive’s website here

http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/demo-bW9 ... kPTI5.html

You will also see there the article in Performance BMW magazine did on my car recently, again thanks to CA in sorting out my mind life crises. BMW CAR magazine have said they will be featuring the car also after this next stage of upgrades.

Well I will get back more information when I get the car back :-)
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

Really nice. I love the CSL wheels but I thought they only looked good on the M3, I stand corrected.

Like how you have kept it pretty standard looking.

I am one for badge removal, so not that keen on the CSL badges on the side.

How much power is it running now ?
Do you have before and after rolling road plots to track progress?
Z4M CSL

Z4 M roadster

Post by Z4M CSL »

Hi,

Yes before my stage 1 & 2 mods the car was running 326bhp after
stage 1 it was 349bhp at 8150revs. Stage 3 379 at 8100revs.

Regards.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

I remember seeing this in performance BMW. You've done a really good job it looks fantastic, infact for the first time I really like imola red!!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread so please keep with the updates
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Z4M CSL

Z4 M roadster

Post by Z4M CSL »

Just been told today by CA-Automotive they have successfully fitted the RHD Supersprint Stepped Headers to my Z4M. I beleave they had to do some mod but they have managed it. Currently they are in the process of remapping, so will let you know about the power gains :-)
Z4M CSL

Z4 M roadster

Stage 3 Complete :-)

Post by Z4M CSL »

Hi all,

Sorry for not reporting sooner. Well have had the car back from CA-AUTOMOTIVE with the 3rd stage modes completed. They managed to get the Super Sprint Stepped Headers on which has increased the sound a little. It’s hard to explain but the engine feels less stressed or held back, it revs more freely. With the re-map they managed to get 391BHP after a few adoptions (I have included the first DYNO run of 389BHP).

But the best thing is not the power (which is better) but it's the handling, the Ground Control anti roll bars are amazing. Where before the car use to roll in fast tight corners now is so flat. I have the Nitron Coil Overs in the softest setting at the moment (to run them in). This is another strange one to explain: they car feels so much tighter but at the same time more comfortable. I use to have HR lowering springs on the car but these Nitron Coil Overs (Adjustable) and Ground Control Anti Roll bars has transformed the car. I was hoping to go to Bruntingthorpe race track to test the car out but the weather hasn’t permitted it. Hoping to go in the New Year to set-up the Nitrons.

The new carbon bits looks FAB! the ac-schnitzer rear diffuser and the CA-AUTOMOTIVE custom made carbon splitters add that little bit extra to the car.

Oh yes forgot to say I was on a certain dual carriage with a Bentley Conti GTC 60plate, he was right up my back-side, the car in front me moved over at 50 in 3rd floored it and I could see me pull away from him. Came up to some lights and did the same thing again 40-110 and still pulled away from him. VERY BAD OF ME :D Hopefully when at Bruntingthorpe will be able to post some 0-60-100 times.

Here are some pics of the car now:

Will find the 391BHP dyno run and post that later.

Here's a link that list all the mods to the car (Its got to the stage now that I can't remember LOL) :-)

Also many thanks for reading my article, Merry Christmas & Happy new year to everyone.

http://ca-automotive.co.uk/demo-bW9kZT1 ... kPTI5.html
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

fantastic looking car, I love the carbon bits!! You really have made it spot on!

391hp is quite amazing! I'd like to go to a RR with you and see the HP differences between my completely stock car and yours.

Any chance of getting some videos up? would be good to hear what it sounds like!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

That's pretty epic. :shock:
Looks amazing.
You don't keep it parked on the street though I hope. :o
My Toyota MR2 is up for sale £2650 ovno Pics/details available