Please HELP! Started the new year with a bang.. :-(

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
d0mokun

Z4 M roadster

Please HELP! Started the new year with a bang.. :-(

Post by d0mokun »

Happy new year.. or so I thought!

I managed to start the new year with a bit of a bang: One of those metallic 'bangs' that also accompanies a really sick feeling. My judgement lapsed when attempting to park in a multi-storey facility in Sutton. I attempted to park the M in a space around half a foot thinner than my pride and joy.

The smack was at a relatively slow speed (sub 5 mph easily) but it still knocked the bumper out. I didn't leave any paint behind, and the scuffs have mostly either wiped straight off or will buff out (so I reckon). The headlight washer still works, as do the lights. Probably more importantly is the fact that no connecting bolts (rods?) have sheered or appear otherwise damaged. In fact, the whole bumper area appears relatively OK from what I can see.

I can't however get the bumper to clip back onto the car cleanly. Has anyone got any tips or advice as to how I can get it back into position? It appears to have been pushed back and off whatever latch/ hook is underneath that area. Nothing is broken behind the panel- even the light attachment point is intact. The washer cap is partially covered but it looks like its just bent too far around- I think that if the corner can be pushed back into alignment, the rest will pop into shape. I hope so, at least.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I plan on taking it to a BMW body shop, but figured it may be an easier task than I'm preparing for.

Best
Dan.

Here's a link to all of the photos I took, via Photobucket:
http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/deadpixl/

Below thumbnails can be clicked for larger versions.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Sorry to see the damage,

as regards the bumper coming adrift. that is where you would actually pull the bumper outwards (towards you) if you wanted to remove it, It just presses back into a clip.
Providing the clip hasn't broken, just line it back up and give it a good shove, or a thump (technical I know but thats how it fits) If the clip is OK it will clip back ito position and remain there. If it springs back out you may probably need a new clip.

:D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
d0mokun

Z4 M roadster

Post by d0mokun »

Hi gookah,

Thanks for the advice- I'll give it a try tomorrow.

How much pressure should be applied? Can I break anything if I give it a bit of persuasion, or is it the case that it needs quite a bit to clamp in again?

Dan.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Nope a good thump is required. If you have a photo of you boss, put it on the place in question and that is about the ferocity required..
:D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
d0mokun

Z4 M roadster

Post by d0mokun »

Thumped it until my hand hurt (ooh matron)! It just seems to hang in its place.

Now it's the weekend I may try removing the bumper completely, and refitting. Might take the wheels off for a cleaning, too.

Best
Dan.