Track and Road pads; which?

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

My son has a Z4M Coupé and he and I were on a trackday recently - his Z and my Westfield - and he was disappointed to find yet again that the EBC Yellowstuff pads he uses were pretty well shot after a day's hooning around the circuit. Does the Z Roadster collective have any wisdom to share on the best road compatible pads for this car on standard brake set-up that will live a little longer than Yellowstuff on track days please? :?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Track and Road pads; which?

Post by Gazza »

I'm sure CW will be along to comment :wink:

My 2p's worth is have a look at the driving style, too much speed into corners and heavy braking and the brakes will wear.

I am not a Trackday expert, I managed about 4 laps of Brands Hatch Indy Circuit before my OEM brakes went spongey.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Thanks Gazza but Hullavington airfield has a long straight (up to 140mph in one layout used) with a very tight turn at the end. Heavy braking is inevitable if fun is to be had. He's no Schumacher but surely this is what track days are all about? :?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Perhaps consider having the larger discs and calipers fitted.....They will be more durable. I find the disc size on the Z to be a tad small, and a larger disc with 4 pot caliper does the trick. Also, I believe there is a fitted system which provides for adjustment to the front and rear discs. This means you can increase the braking on the rear vs the OEM set-up. This will stop the car quicker, and distribute the load onto 4 wheels vs probably the 65% which is currently loaded to the front.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Yes Southernboy there are many and expensive options, one of which my son will probably go for in the medium term. We have another track day booked for June at Abingdon airfield and he wanted to get off the bandwagon of new pads every track day if possible. Thanks for the input. :)

FWIW my Z3 on an airfield/track day lost all pedal resistance after a couple of laps on standard fluid and pads. I won't be tracking it again, it's just that it was last December and 0 degrees C is cold in an open Westfield (Lotus Se7en replica). :cry:
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

Carbon lorraine dealer Paul Chance 07974153967 service second to none.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Thanks Snatch, and All - I'll pass on the received wisdom. :)
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Carbone Lorraine RC6 will stop the car like a big brake kit but not a friendly road pad in terms of noise and dusty (and wear rate is faster when cold). RC5+, which are more fast road/track pads, I read mixed reviews of.

I understand the Z4M shares the M3 CSL disc? so it's a pretty big disc. EBC Yellows have been fine on my car with the smaller 315mm discs but I did use additional cooling with them (and used them for around 4 years with good success including 8.00min Nurburgring laps)

Past couple of years I alternate between Pagid RS29 and CL RC6. The RS29 are probably his best bet but they are not cheap unfortunately!
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Another vote for Pagid RS29, but I also use Ferrodo DS2500 on my turbo. Carbonne Lorraine bike pads are some of the best I've used and didn't know they did cars, so will follow that up.

EBC never impressed me.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority