Z4M service info

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z4M service info

Post by peteslag »

Hello all,

I have found a Z4M that I'm very interested in but have a question about the service intervals. The last inspection 2 was carried out at 40,000 miles in 2015, the last inspection 1 at 22,000 miles in 2009. The car now has 58,000 miles. When are the next inspection 1/2's due? I don't know if they are purely mileage based or if there a time limit as well.

Thanks in advance,

Pete
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Z4M service info

Post by pingu »

Coolant and brake fluid should have been changed since 2015 based on time. Brake fluid should have been changed twice!!

The oils should have been changed due to time, but the service indicator may not say so as the service interval is based on mileage (or fuel used).

It doesn't sound like it was very well looked after.

Owner probably couldn't afford the M tax and may even have run it on Asda petrol. I'd ask to see some fuel receipts.
Pingu
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

pingu wrote: Fri 09 Oct, 2020 21:43 Coolant and brake fluid should have been changed since 2015 based on time. Brake fluid should have been changed twice!!

The oils should have been changed due to time, but the service indicator may not say so as the service interval is based on mileage (or fuel used).

It doesn't sound like it was very well looked after.

Owner probably couldn't afford the M tax and may even have run it on Asda petrol. I'd ask to see some fuel receipts.
I thought as much. One of the oil service stamps has an extra tick in the inspection 1 check box AND is in a different colour ink. The car is cheap for good reason me thinks. I might take a look and poke around the service history a bit more but my spidey sense says no.
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I would be the same. I would only buy if the price allowed for a complete refresh of all oils and lubricants, brake pads, discs and clutch and the VANOS.

I'd take the gamble on serious mechanical damage based on the test drive.

Old oil can knacker the VANOS - so root around inside the cam cover with your finger.
Pingu
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

How much is the car ?

All the above could already be factored into the price.

I have my Z4 MC for sale, needs an Inspection 1 but I’ve factored that into the price so the new owner can get it done themselves because the car is Sorned and uninsured at the moment. If it doesn’t sell I’ll get it done next year when I use it again.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

The car is advertised for 14K by a dealer. On the one hand it could work out well because I plan to take it on track days so will be having the engine worked on any way. Apparently the vanos and the con rod bearings will need to be sorted before any track day shenanigans so a cheaper car with iffy service history might suit. (or maybe not)

That said, until I sell my current car my buying power is very limited any hoo. Only hard cash will drive asking prices down. I think that I'll do this the right way round, give my car a lick of polish and get it sold. If the Z4M is still for sale I'll go take a look see.

Thanks for your replies guys.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

peteslag wrote: Sun 11 Oct, 2020 11:29 The car is advertised for 14K by a dealer.
Ouch. I was expecting at least £4k less than that, given the lack of servicing and the risk you would be taking.

A baffled sump may help more than uprated internals, but ask BrianH. He has one, and it's mainly a track car.
Pingu
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

pingu wrote: Mon 12 Oct, 2020 12:35
peteslag wrote: Sun 11 Oct, 2020 11:29 The car is advertised for 14K by a dealer.
Ouch. I was expecting at least £4k less than that, given the lack of servicing and the risk you would be taking.

A baffled sump may help more than uprated internals, but ask BrianH. He has one, and it's mainly a track car.
Yes, it was Brian that advised me to replace the con rod bearings. We had a good chat on my last BMW track day at Cadwell.