Battery/ Hazard warning light problem

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Doublebass

blank

Battery/ Hazard warning light problem

Post by Doublebass »

Hi everyone,
I bought a 2002 1.9 a few days ago. It's a great car!
I drove it back from Yorkshire to London. All ok.
The next day all was fine. Since then after locking the car from the remote, the hazards sometimes come on and only stop when I open the car again. Yesterday, having not started the car for a day and a half, the battery was flat. Since jump starting the battery seems ok. Are the two connected? ( hazards indicate tired battery or hazards flattened battery)
I hope that all makes sense!
Many thanks!
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Battery/ Hazard warning light problem

Post by Wookee »

I'm sure an expert will be along in a minute....but to me it sounds like your alarm is going off with the sounder disconnected if you see what I mean? Have you got a code reader?
Doublebass

blank

Post by Doublebass »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do know what you mean. No, I don't have a code reader.
Thanks again!
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Whereabouts in London are you? Norf or Sarf :) ?
Doublebass

blank

Post by Doublebass »

Winchmore Hill. Norf 21!
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Doublebass wrote:Winchmore Hill. Norf 21!
I'm in Cheshunt so very close if you need a code reader or anything else. Just PM me. :thumb:
Doublebass

blank

Post by Doublebass »

Dear Wookee,
I'm bowled over by your offer!
I'll see how we get on over the next couple of days and will message you if I can't sort it.
Many thanks!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Wookee wrote:I'm sure an expert will be along in a minute....but to me it sounds like your alarm is going off with the sounder disconnected if you see what I mean? Have you got a code reader?
I don't think you need a code reader. I think Wookee's diagnosis is spot-on.

The usual culprit is the bonnet switch.
Pingu
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

With that date of car, it will be the later alarm, so it sounds like the siren has said its last.

If you want to make sure whether the siren is working then lock the car with the remote, then open it with the key. If the siren sounds, then you might have a different problem, but I think this is pretty unlikely. You can stop the alarm from trying to sound by pressing the unlock button on the remote, or by putting the key in the ignition and turning it to position II.

Assuming that the siren is not working, then if you locked the car with the remote, you armed the alarm. If it sat and flashed its hazard lights all night, that might have been enough to drain the battery.

In the short term, try locking the car with the key so as to avoid arming the alarm. This will hopefully preserve your battery and anyway the alarm is of little use if it doesn't make any noise.

If the hazards still flash when the car is locked with the key (or potentially whilst driving), then suspect the tilt switch in the boot. If not, then bonnet switch (as said), stereo anti-theft switch, door switches (interior light often stays on if these go), boot lid switch/wiring loom and the interior movement sensor could all be suspects.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Doublebass

blank

Post by Doublebass »

Thanks very much for that. I'll try the test tomorrow when people's kids aren't in bed!
Doublebass

blank

Post by Doublebass »

Hi guys,
Did the test. Hazards but no siren. I presume someone disconnected it if it kept going off!
Car is locked with remote ( alarm armed) hazards not currently flashing.
Will investigate why alarm is temperamental and how to reconnect the siren.
Cheers!
Doublebass

blank

Post by Doublebass »

Hello again,
Hazards not coming on today. Car has been used more.Going to get battery tested. Looked in boot on nearside to find that aerial is leaking water and have ordered a new grommet. Am I right in thinking that the tilt switch should be mounted by the aerial ? There isn't one. There is a spare plug on the end of many wires which comes from the front of the car. Has someone removed the tilt switch?
I would like to see whether the siren has been disconnected. Please could you tell me where it is mounted?
With continued thanks!!
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Doublebass wrote:Hello again,
Hazards not coming on today. Car has been used more.Going to get battery tested. Looked in boot on nearside to find that aerial is leaking water and have ordered a new grommet. Am I right in thinking that the tilt switch should be mounted by the aerial ? There isn't one. There is a spare plug on the end of many wires which comes from the front of the car. Has someone removed the tilt switch?
I would like to see whether the siren has been disconnected. Please could you tell me where it is mounted?
With continued thanks!!
This what a submerged tilt switch looks like:-

ImageIMG_20160108_143512243

I wouldn't be surprised if yours has been removed, mine looked like it had been under water for a very long time :bawl:

This is your siren- it's underneath the fusebox. The circled bit is the plug that has been pulled out to stop it working as I'm guessing mine was causing the same problems with the tilt sensor for the previous owner. I won't be bothering to make the alarm work again as I have a disclock to keep it secure :)

ImageIMG_20160301_170254893
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

When you order the grommets you have to order both the above and below ones and make sure when you put them in that they are seated properly. They are about £7 each from BMW and the part numbers are 65.21.8.411.561 and 562. Sounds like you may be getting to know Eric in the parts dept at Stephen James as well as I do :D. If you order them before 1700hrs they get them overnight and you can pick them up from 0800hrs.
Doublebass

blank

Post by Doublebass »

If that's a tilt switch, then I've got one! Sorry, a photo I saw on the net looked different! Not submerged but damp. I had sprayed wd40 on it anyway!
Had battery tested, ok. Will look at siren tomorrow. I've ordered a grommet from eBay for £13 but it only looks like one piece! Will try to replace from above as people advise on net. Put new battery in remote. Still no further hazard flashing.
Your patience much appreciated !
Doublebass

blank

Re: seat recliner

Post by Doublebass »

Dear all,
My driver's seat won't stay in the upright position. When brought to fully upright it stays, but any further back and it is not staying in position, it just goes back. I've got the seat out but I can't see what's wrong. Any ideas?
Thanks.