Hosepipe bans

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Hosepipe bans

Post by TitanTim »

Just wandering if anyone will be subject to a hosepipe ban this week and if so how do you plan on keeping the Zed clean?

I'm in Severn Trent's patch who have said there will be no bans.......for now.

I been thinking of one of these which might prove quite useful should a ban be enforced.

http://www.nomad-direct.co.uk/index.php ... /i_11.html

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Re: Hosepipe bans

Post by macca »

Yep, I'm in a hosepipe ban area. I use a bucket to wash the Z so it doesn't affect me.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

macca wrote:Yep, I'm in a hosepipe ban area. I use a bucket to wash the Z so it doesn't affect me.
what, no hose? :shock: :shock: :shake:

Tim.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Ban for me too, I usually rinse the car first, bucket wash then hose rinse
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

As soon as they announced the hosepipe ban, the Summer was doomed :roll:
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

I have plenty of water up here . :lol: ....you could connect your hose to my tap and run it down to you :D
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Well I've only ever washed the M twice since November with a hose.. Just use detailer and micro fiber cloths in between.. :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

I've got an outside tap with a Hozelok fitting with a 6" piece of hose pipe attached to it. If I turn my tap on does that constitute a criminal action? Will the mean aged neighbour report us.
If it isn't an offence, what about 9" of pipe? - or 3ft, or 5 yards? When does it become an offence?
Personally, I'm pretty sure my jet spray would use less water than a number of watering cans to clean the car.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Z3cade wrote:Well I've only ever washed the M twice since November with a hose.. Just use detailer and micro fiber cloths in between.. :wink:
same here. water not needed :D

The 'BEAST' 666
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

TitanTim wrote:
macca wrote:Yep, I'm in a hosepipe ban area. I use a bucket to wash the Z so it doesn't affect me.
what, no hose? :shock: :shock: :shake:

Tim.
Yup, no hose, no water, just a bucket..... :wink:
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

I'm in a dry area too. Have just bought a "hand pump" water hose thingy- couldn't justify one of the £180 power versions.

Re the detailing fluid and micro fibre cloths- does this remove the wax coating on the car??
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Z3cade wrote:Well I've only ever washed the M twice since November with a hose.. Just use detailer and micro fiber cloths in between.. :wink:
What do you mean by using a detailer? I think that is different from something like showroom shine which is specifically a waterless product. So you clean a dirty zed using a detailer :shock:

Tim.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

TitanTim wrote:
What do you mean by using a detailer? I think that is different from something like showroom shine which is specifically a waterless product. So you clean a dirty zed using a detailer :shock:

Tim.
I'm with Tim on this one, surely you are increasing the chance of scratching the paintwork dramatically?. Less lubricant, nowhere for the grit on the mitt/cloth to come off to(when you dip in the bucket and rub off the dirt inbetween wipe downs) so essentially you are rubbing the grit over the paintwork?

I've only ever done it at shows where the car had been washed a few hours previously
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

shantybeater wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Tim.
I'm with Tim on this one, surely you are increasing the chance of scratching the paintwork dramatically?. Less lubricant, nowhere for the grit on the mitt/cloth to come off to(when you dip in the bucket and rub off the dirt inbetween wipe downs) so essentially you are rubbing the grit over the paintwork?

I've only ever done it at shows where the car had been washed a few hours previously
James youre correct, the waterless products have emulsifants which are supposed to ecapsulate the dirt and lift it away from the paintwork, designed to be used where you dont have water, never been brave enough to try it though. A detail spray is basically a watered down wax so its easy to use quickly. If used on dirty paintwork your just rubbing the dirt over the surface :shock:

Tim.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I believe you are allowed to wash commercial vehicles.

There would be a lot of overspray when I wash my van :D .
Pingu
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Jetwashes are considered business premises, so I will just take mine to the tyre place round the corner. :D

Cheers R.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Robert T wrote:Jetwashes are considered business premises, so I will just take mine to the tyre place round the corner. :D

Cheers R.

I'm sure I read this morning that water companies are looking to apply for drought orders to cover car washes, swimming pools etc but this takes 11 weeks and requires a public inquiry :lol: I'm surprised it takes 11 weeks though as I thought this Gov't were all for closing bussinesses down.

Tim.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

TitanTim wrote:
Robert T wrote:Jetwashes are considered business premises, so I will just take mine to the tyre place round the corner. :D

Cheers R.

I'm sure I read this morning that water companies are looking to apply for drought orders to cover car washes, swimming pools etc but this takes 11 weeks and requires a public inquiry :lol: I'm surprised it takes 11 weeks though as I thought this Gov't were all for closing bussinesses down.

Tim.
"bussinesses"?
5 bleedin' 'Ss' (note, position of apostrophe)
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S54

Post by Southcoaster »

Glad we didn't fill the well in! It's been laying dormant for 30 years - not any more.

15m deep with 4m of water, draper pump and 25m hose - bingo!

Checked with SWA and as long as it is my water source, I can use it "with" a hosepipe/ pressure washer.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Southcoaster wrote:Glad we didn't fill the well in! It's been laying dormant for 30 years - not any more.

Checked with SWA and as long as it is my water source, I can use it "with" a hosepipe/ pressure washer.
I should bloody think so - not that I would have dreamt of asking their permission.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

Southcoaster wrote:Glad we didn't fill the well in! It's been laying dormant for 30 years - not any more.

Nice, maybe i will just dig a well in the garden...groundwater cant be that far down :shock:
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hosepipe ban? What hosepipe ban? My car show next Monday at Gawsworth Hall (near Macclesfield) has been postponed due to the field being too wet! :(

Wettest drought on record! :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Just been onto http://www.hosepipeban.org.uk and someone asked if they could use a hose to remove dog muck from their patio. Answer was if you can prove it's an 'Elf & Safety issue then you are allowed to do it.

So if I use the hose to remove the bird poo I get on my car do you think I could get away with it?...after all I'm very concerned about getting Bird Flu .
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

I'll just leave this here...

:roflmao:
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

XVar wrote:I'll just leave this here...

:roflmao:
thats a summers day in Glasgow aint it 8-)

did you know in the last 30 years of hosepipe bans being introduced not 1 person has been successfully prosecuted for defying the order ...or if you work from home .its classed as business premises .you can use your hose legally during a ban :head: