Alpine White III 2.8 Eaton M62 build

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Alpine White III 2.8 Eaton M62 build

Post by Daz3 »

After not having anything to do today i decided to take pretty much all the panels off my zed so i can sand down and prep them for spraying at my own leisure! The reason i decided to do this is mum drove my car into the house and scuffed the front bumper, also the sills have rusted quite bad behind the front wheel. On top of this the rear quarters have been stonechipped quite bad and pretty much every panel has a mark on it.

I'm going to stick with arctic silver for colour as i quite like it.
Any tips or advise on other bits to do would be very welcome i have marked round bolts on panels and put all the screws in labelled tubs etc so i dont loose any or forget where they go. I have some z3m mirrors to put on as well. Heres some pics:

Looks like ive got a bit of work to do :D :D
Last edited by Daz3 on Fri 04 Apr, 2014 19:51, edited 15 times in total.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

the missus just looked at the pics...and went :shock:
and has just said shed be having kittens if i did this :shock:
anyway good luck you crazy fool :wink:
progress pics please?
the badness makes me do it...!

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

lol bit of a bad time to do it really with all this nice weather but id be ashamed to take it anywhere with the bodywork the way it is! Will keep posting up as i progress! Did you ever get your central locking sorted btw?
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

wow fair play to you!! look forward to seeing the progress
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Its the best way of going about it, good luck, will be great to see how you get on :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

shantybeater wrote:wow fair play to you!! look forward to seeing the progress
Thanks i just dont like tatty paintwork and now i dont use my car everyday for work and the rust has slowly progressed i've finally bit the bullet and thought bugger it i'm gonna sort it out :D
I have a friend at work who is a sprayer by trade and he's going to help/advise lol!
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Daz3 wrote:lol bit of a bad time to do it really with all this nice weather but id be ashamed to take it anywhere with the bodywork the way it is! Will keep posting up as i progress! Did you ever get your central locking sorted btw?
pm..dont want to jump on you thread :wink:

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Here's my bolt tub :D
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

ps...im not as bad as you.......look what you did :shock:

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

True i just ain't figured out if its sad or not yet :D
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

Just had my sills resprayed and when i removed them found the bolts to be very rusty, went to bmw to get price for new ones they are only 12p each ! worth the money if your going to all the trouble of taking them off :)
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Yeah thanks for that jayson i need to get some bumper fixings so will probably get those too if there that cheap.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Daz3 wrote:Here's my bolt tub :D
I just used one large jam jar.

I've still got a load of fixings and screws left over :shock: .
Pingu
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

pingu wrote:
Daz3 wrote:Here's my bolt tub :D
I just used one large jam jar.

I've still got a load of fixings and screws left over :shock: .
Ha ha i'll probably still have loads left over even doing this! :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: My 2.8 Arctic Silver Progress (The Stripdown)

Post by Jonttt »

Daz3 wrote:Image
I do that to clean the wheel arches :twisted:

Seriously, your braver than I am. I still remember respraying the front wing of my first car and then the embarassment of driving around in it for a couple of months whilst I saves up to get to done properly. We even stuck kebabs on it one night to make it look better :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Daz3 wrote: Image

Looks like ive got a bit of work to do :D
Looks pretty neet as it is, doesn't it? :twisted:
O_7777 :drive:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Now thats what i call the rat look! 8-)

You`ll love it when its done and get so much satisfaction out of it :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Daz3 wrote: Image
Looks like ive got a bit of work to do :D
Daz - I think you may have missed the concept of convertibles....
Rather than taking all the panels off to keep cool, the hard roof is deigned to simply unscrew and lift off.
You may find this much easier :twisted:

(PS Good luck and well done) :thumb:
Image :devil:
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Damn wondered what them levers were for behind the seat :D
Thanks to everyone for the support i think i'll need it! hopefully going to get a few panels sanded down this weekend if i have time so will keep posting up as i progress :rtm:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Daz3 wrote: hopefully going to get a few panels sanded down this weekend if i have time
Well there's not going to be much (else) on TV ...............
Image :devil:
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Hi Daz3 Can I ask if the rear wings were easy to remove, as I have a tiny piece of rust on the rear wing :(

I was thinking of removing the wing and spraying it off the car, when I get around to doing it :?:

Cheers
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Fender2004 wrote:Hi Daz3 Can I ask if the rear wings were easy to remove, as I have a tiny piece of rust on the rear wing :(

I was thinking of removing the wing and spraying it off the car, when I get around to doing it :?:

Cheers
You'd need to remove the plastic wheel arch.

Theres a few screws down the door shut which involves removing the trim panels and kick plate, a couple at the rear where the bumper mounts. Then you'll have to remove the boot aswell as it's attached to the rear wing. Then one near where the rear of the sill mounts i think.

Quite involved really you may be better spraying the panel on the car.
I've done mine like this as i'm spraying alot and didn't think my neighbours would appreciate the silver overspray going on there cars :twisted:
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

cheers thanks I`ll have to have a bit of a think
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Received these today i bought them off ebay last week there pre facelift aerodynamics sideskirts although i don't think there is a lot of difference between these and standard items. I think they do give a bit more visual depth but the are not deeper its just the vertical edge is longer. What do you guys think? They dont seem to flare out or look as dramatic a change as Naeem or Yaldens cars which are post facelift.

I've also purchased some:
M Mirrors
M Bootlid
M Rear bumper
M Side grilles

Although i didn't really want this car to be an M replica it seems to be heading that way as i can't seem to find much stuff out there that doesn't look kak like big fiberglass stupid bumpers lol!
I'm still undecided on the front bumper however so I'm open to suggestions.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Go Buy an M :wink:
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Lol i'd love to but i just can't stretch that far at the minute it's a straight 6 come on :D
The only reason i've bought all these parts is because they have all come to light at very cheap prices so seen as though i'm spraying the car anyway i thought i'd go for it! Hope i'm not going to get shot down now by the M Boys lol
hornel Z3M

blank

m

Post by hornel Z3M »

you will be fine with us as long as you paint it Estoril Blue 8-)
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Ha Ha is that what colour the skirt is? I am tempted i must admit and now is the time to do it :colourful:
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

If you are re-painting then go white, they seem to fetch much more on resale (at the moment) too.

Also the ///M front bumper looks the way to go to me, although a 1.9 is easy to get the front lower spoilers for too.

Looks like a great project I am jealous of everyone who buys bits for their cars and actually fits them as I never seem to get round to it!

Well done mate
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Yeah i have thought about white too as i love white cars and when washed they look cool! Trouble is it would mean spraying the engine bay and thats a bit more work although i think it would be worth it! I'd like to get hold of an M front bumper but they are hard to come by! Have you fitted some M mirrors to your car yet you sold enough sets :D they make such a difference!
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

I was never brave enough.... and as Cloz has just found out that they don't fit LHD it looks like I never will, at the Surrey cruise last week I was in front of a Z3MR and I kept looking at the mirrors, I really am sad!

I really wish I could get a pair on, but at the moment I can't

Really looking forward to seeing your finished article

best of luck
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Thanks for the support buddy! Can't wait to get cracking now
If you ever do get chance bang some mirrors on the coupe will look awesome with a set
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Done a bit more today i have changed the rear bumper carrier to a z3m one to mount the m bumper. The only difference between the 2.8 and m carrier is the hole cut out for the numberplate light thought this might come in handy for someone. I also stripped out the carpet in the boot ready for spraying Took a few pics as well!

M

I'm going for a new quad exhaust when its all fitted up as the exit for the 2.8 is slightly different hence the bumper out of shape :D

Boot and Grilles :wink:

Carrier Mountings Theres also one on the underside of the car near the exhaust
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Was also chuffed as the boot has the carpet section attached to it which the 2.8 doesn't have.
I've also decided on a colour its going to be Alpine White I think the code is 300? I want it to be like the new bmw white have the codes changed at all or is there just different shades of alpine white III?
This means spraying under the bonnet and in the boot but i think it'll be worth it although im sorry to leave the 'primer' crew :( :D
Naeem.m

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Naeem.m »

Looking good Daz. You've gone with a great colour and really looking forward to the end result , I'm sure you are too :lol:
I checked on here for the different variations of white and in think 300 is the white found on newer BMWs.

The white and the blue leather interior will look cool. 8-)
Keep up the good work pal :wink:
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Cheers naeem i'm getting excited now about having a go at spraying i've done a few bits before like my brothers quad and used to do a bit at my last workplace :D My mate at work has great confidence in me and has said he will spray it for me if i can't get the knack. I'm sure it'll be fine with his guidance! When it's sprayed i'm going to see if i can source some estoril M seats to match the dash and console i may have some door cards though. Like you say i think it'll go nice with the white. If you come across an M front bumper let me know as i'm desperate to get one. Thanks Daz
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Good color choice mate, can't wait to see the end result
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Thanks shanty really happy today managed to source a Z3M front bumper big thanks to Naeem although my heart was pounding until I completed the payment through eBay lol!
Naeem.m

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Naeem.m »

Glad to be of help Daz. :wink:
I was excited when I spotted it and was just waiting for your reply saying you've got it lol.
Can't wait to see the progress.
8-)
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Yeah thanks again i'm well happy now i didn't think id get one or be waiting for ages, let alone get one at that price :D hopefully will make a lot of progress soon just waiting for a compressor to come and a few other bits.
Amz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Amz »

wow, cant wait to see the progress, artic white sounds amazing

i had a similar project in mind, a pearl white z3m replica....

all the best
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Right people just wanted a bit of an opinion do I fill the 'm' badge holes in the boot an side grilles or do I leave them? I know it's not an m and originally I was going to fill them but I'm not so sure now? I've started prepping panels now and got all my paint on order so should see some real progress in the coming weeks! Cheers Daz
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

It's a NO from me.

It isn't one, so shouldn't...

HTH, Gary
Naeem.m

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Naeem.m »

I second that :)
Think it will look so much more cleaner without any M badges. :wink:
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Cheers guys thats what i thought the answer would be and tbh i do think it'll look better smoothed. Best crack on then :D still sticking with alpine white and also having a few anthracite touches will get some more pics up soon. Thanks Daz
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Yeah in agreement about the M badge, I actually think it will make the boot/side grills nice and clean and make it look more modern
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Finally got my hands on an aerodynamics pre-facelift spoiler i saw it pop up on ebay so put an offer in. Also cracking on with the car now, i have the front and rear bumpers prepped along with the skirts and boot hopefully going to get some primer on this weekend :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Post by Guest »

Looks like they broke the screw off in the insert, should come out easy enough with a stud extractor.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Good choice on the spoiler, i've been toying with getting that one myself but never seen it for sale. I was thinking about smoothing it into the wings/boot for a M3 CSL style look.

Look forward to seeing it fitted
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Cheers shanty that's the second one I've seen come up in 3 years think they are quite rare so didn't want to miss it. I did think about smoothing it in but I'll see how it looks first. Not really worried about the screw Im sure I can sort that! can't believe how jammy I've been getting the parts i want for the zed :D