A French TV series about restoring a car model

Today, BMW Z1.

https://1fichier.com/?dtv84m2iiwkqu6u8m3ot&af=105612

High speed download

Language: French

@S@P under the sun without Covid19 ...

TJS

Z1 roadster

Re: BMW Z1 @ Vintage Mecanic (TV series)

Post by TJS »

Thanks, interesting video.

So ... I guess replacement of the original rubber driveshaft universal joint (26111225624) is now a preventive maintainence task. Doesn't look to be a solo DIY task. Asking my wife if she fancies rolling around on the garage floor for a couple of hours may have elicited a positive and productive response 25 years ago but now results in a raised eyebrow, even if I can convince her the floor is clean.

Anyone replaced this? How long does it take ? Maybe an agenda item for the next socially distanced technical day.

a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

TJS wrote:
Sun 24 May, 2020 10:22
Thanks, interesting video.

So ... I guess replacement of the original rubber driveshaft universal joint (26111225624) is now a preventive maintainence task. Doesn't look to be a solo DIY task. Asking my wife if she fancies rolling around on the garage floor for a couple of hours may have elicited a positive and productive response 25 years ago but now results in a raised eyebrow, even if I can convince her the floor is clean.

Anyone replaced this? How long does it take ? Maybe an agenda item for the next socially distanced technical day.
Maybe a job to tackle while on partial lockdown...

I have replaced the joint and am fortunate to have the luxury of a ramp.
It’s involved but opens up opportunities to replace other items.

The exhaust needs to be removed along with the differential so that the torque tube can be moved to access the rubber.

I would fit a new gearbox rear oil seal, selector shaft seal
and selector joint.
With the differential off you are closer to be able to remove the petrol tank allowing access to the fuel pipes that are getting old.

So it’s a marathon session on your back.

Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Tony,

Love it!

If Ivor has made you reconsider the advisability of tackling this major job can I respectfully suggest that it might be easier to persuade the wife to roll around on your, no doubt incredibly clean, garage floor.

A report will do, don't require the video!!!

Stay safe and keep entertaining us.

Pat

F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

I really enjoyed this Vintage Mecanic as it seems that job was perform seriously.
To come back to the point of enjoying change of driveshaft universal joint :D , I never had any issue on previous BMW even sold at 300 000 km nor on my other babies from the 80.

I think such part is really ageing bad with shearing effect if car is driven roughly as rubber is absorbing shock at each gear change