LSD - @Ivor

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

LSD - @Ivor

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Just out of curiosity Ivor, does the green car still have the LSD fitted?

If so, do you notice any benefits in the way it drives compared to the red one (which I assume doesn't have one)?
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Re: LSD - @Ivor

Post by a1z1 »

Yes the green car still has the LSD fitted. The diff ratio is different so you tend to change gear quicker than if you where in the red car. Bindy has been known to use the rev-limiter between gear changes.
The two cars are different drives especially with the twin can exhaust on the green car.
That could be why you thought the green car was a 2.7.

Are you thinking of a little upgrade for your car.

I have a spare LSD that I was going to fit to the red car.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Re: LSD - @Ivor

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Interesting - thanks. Yes, now you mention it, the green car used to whip around to its limiter with an that the black one doesn't possess. Wasn't thinking of adding an LSD (although now you mention it...) but there's a debate raging over the fact that the M135i (one of which I now own) doesn't have an LSD and whether or not one would improve it. Which got me thinking that I couldn't necessarily tell much difference between the way the green car and black cars handled other that I think the green car was always more, ahem, tail-happy - you could slide the back with ease even in the dry. That could be tyres (the black car has Pirellis whereas the green one was on Toyos I think) but could I suppose be the diff.

Is it still the same custom exhaust I had made? The 2.7 suggestion came from one of the principals at Munich Legends when it was in for a service. He'd done the road-test and noticed it felt unusually perky for a Z1, so asked if it was a 2.7. My response was that ML hadn't sold it to me originally as a 2.7 so I assumed it was not!
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1