Mystery Z1

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Miha4x4

Z1 roadster

Mystery Z1

Post by Miha4x4 »

Hi Everybody,
IIn my recent trip to Quebec I discovered a Z! that was stored for 17 years in the barn. The car missing VIN plates from usual places . No vin plate on radiator support area or computer box/bulkhead area.
Any other locations for VIN number? The owner got a car with the barn , I don't think car can be stolen because they never came to Canada due the importation rules.They may removed the vin to put a Canadian E30 vin to get it registered in Canada, I don't really know. I am interested to buy the car but the missing vin is my concern. I Looked at the dated on the seat belts and its is late 88, so the car is probably 1989 year model.
Any info regarding vin location will be greatly appreciated .
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Mystery Z1

Post by pingu »

Can you interrogate the ECUs on a Z1?

The VIN is logged on the ECUs of Z3s and newer. I don't know enough about Z1s, but it is worth asking the question.
Pingu
Miha4x4

Z1 roadster

Post by Miha4x4 »

It's E30 ECU , I believe to read vin off ECU it needs to be OBD2 car
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

I didnt think there was any other place, Ivor might know as he has stripped these bare. Is it missing, as in removed, are the vin plate holes visible? The previous owner of the barn is he contactable?
Miha4x4

Z1 roadster

Post by Miha4x4 »

The vin plate holes are visible and other number has been cut from the shassi.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Ivor you were right, lurking in the ECU chamber.

Miha4x4

Z1 roadster

Post by Miha4x4 »

Yes this number is missing from mystery car
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

Try removing and looking on the ECU, mine has the last 7 numbers of the serial number written on it.

Regards

Ivor
Miha4x4

Z1 roadster

Post by Miha4x4 »

Pulled the ECU from my red Z1 and found the vin on it.
But Green Z1 does not have number on the ECU, the sticker with number is also missing.
I got the car to my shop already , want to put s52 in it, still looking for the VIN )-:
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

When you say "pulled" the ECU, just to confirm the above picture and VIN is visible on my car without removing anything.

Its possible they changed it on later cars after feb 1991....
Miha4x4

Z1 roadster

Post by Miha4x4 »

The vin spot on the green car has been cut, as the Ivor suggested I pulled the ECU on my red car and it does have sticker with vin but, no sticker on the green car ECU .
The car is early 1989 build according to seat belts and date on instrument cluster.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

For a car to have all its ID removed points to an Insurance fraud. Stored in a barn for a few years out of sight - sounds dodgy to me :(
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Gazza wrote:For a car to have all its ID removed points to an Insurance fraud. Stored in a barn for a few years out of sight - sounds dodgy to me :(
I tend to agree. Does the Z1 not support any of the BMW diagnostic software that could read the VIN from the ECU?
Miha4x4

Z1 roadster

Post by Miha4x4 »

All North America including Canada may have 20-30 Z1's so I think insurance fraud can't be an issue with this Z1.
I can request a local police to issue a replacement vin but would rather find a real identity of this car.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Miha4x4 wrote:All North America including Canada may have 20-30 Z1's so I think insurance fraud can't be an issue with this Z1.
I can request a local police to issue a replacement vin but would rather find a real identity of this car.
Time will tell, why else would the cars identity have been meticulously removed and then the car stored out of sight ?

Hopefully the Canadian Insurance Company won't snatch the car back like they would over here if it does turn out to have been a fraud claim.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Miha4x4 wrote:All North America including Canada may have 20-30 Z1's so I think insurance fraud can't be an issue with this Z1.
I'm not sure that follows. Hide the car, claim it's been stolen, wait for the insurance money. Meanwhile remove all identifying marks in case anyone finds it. History is littered with similar stories, on much rarer cars.