Leaky Z1 and I don't mean the roof

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
survivalist

Z1 roadster

Leaky Z1 and I don't mean the roof

Post by survivalist »

Attempted to take the Z1 out a couple of weeks ago (it had been a while - due to work and family commitments I've not had much of a chance to use the Z1 so far this year), only to find that there seems to be a noticeable amount of fuel leaking from the front of the car :-(

Looking like this weekend will be my first chance to look into this issue in more detail. My assumptions (or possibly hopes) at this stage are that it's a leaky connector, rubber hose or fuel filter, rather than a fuel pump or fuel tank leak - based mainly on the basis that the leak seems to be coming from the back of the engine bay / gearbox area.

As I say, going to have a look next weekend, but any experiences / pointers from someone who has experienced something similar would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has a diagram of the fuelling system that would also be invaluable.

Jet - been away for work, but noticed I have a message from you. Will give you a call in the next couple of days.

Thanks in Advance

S
Jet

blank

Re: Leaky Z1 and I don't mean the roof

Post by Jet »

Hallo S, anytime.

Re fuel leak, chaps at JKC had the same problem, a faulty fuel gauge led to fuel running out the overflow pipe, give that a try.
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Re: Leaky Z1 and I don't mean the roof

Post by F.Brossaud »

Hi,
It looks like the typical problem of our 25 years old cars which fuel hoses must be replaced because they are dried and prone to leak. I replaced all of them last year when I started to have a light leakage at the connecton with fuel pressure regulator.

You can have a clear view of the system (+ parts number for ordering) with any online ETK
Hoses in the engine bay are easy to change (once flow meter is removed), you have 2 of them. Don't make any confusion between them or the car will never start again :D
Ones close to the rear drivetrain (around the fuel filter) are a little bit more tricky especially the upper one.
I strongly suggest to change all of them + fuel filter at the same time so your fine again for 20 years :)

Cheers