Front Brake Pads.

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Front Brake Pads.

Post by TJS »

The Z1 once again sailed through its MOT but the front brake pads (the originals) are getting thin at 25k miles.

Recommendations?

OEM, EBC, Pagid, Brembo, CL with prices ranging from £14 to £300. The car for road use only and I am not a heavy braker.

TJS
Jet

blank

Re: Front Brake Pads.

Post by Jet »

Brembo Calipers from the 2003 Porsche Boxster, brackets from Uwe, braided hoses, Pagid pads and 312x25 Mitex discs. :thumb:
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hey Jet,

In your major mod suggestion you forgot the necessary replacement bake pressure relief valve!

I'm in the same position with original pads and 26k miles. So far I have got away with leaving extra baking distance when driving amongst "moderns".

Pat
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Pat Slade wrote:Hey Jet,

In your major mod suggestion you forgot the necessary replacement bake pressure relief valve!

I'm in the same position with original pads and 26k miles. So far I have got away with leaving extra baking distance when driving amongst "moderns".

Pat
I wonder if Mary Berry knows about these baking distances, and if she has said relief valve on her oven? :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

For gentle summer use the 25 year old 25k mile bake pads would probably be ok but having woken the Z1 from its winter hibernation, taxed, new Mot and driven back to Mary Berry's Buckinghamshire through the 300ft high East Anglian mountains I came to the conclusion that a new set of front pads may not be a bad idea before experiencing the slightly higher Pyrenees next weekend.

The local BMW dealer took 3 days to call me back with a quote to supply and fit ... in two weeks time .. pads sintered with titanium and diamonds. Meanwhile the local village garage will fit a new set and give the system a check over on Monday morning with a days notice.

Jet ... no replacement servo ! I seem to recall a seven series servo was a useful direct fit upgrade
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

TJS et al,

Ahead of the Pyrenees trip I have changed all the oils, including PAS, the coolant, and naturally, the baking fluid.

I hope those we meet on the Spanish border will have no objection to my half baked approach!

PS My understanding was it's not the servo that is changed when putting big brakes on the front but the pressure apportioning valve.

Cheers

Pat
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

For info, the servo is fine as is. It is the master cylinder that you change for more beefy pedal feel (along with everything on Jamal's list, of course :D ). I didn't change the apportioning valve, located by the diff as I seem to recall. My Z1 stops as if it has hit a brick wall and doesn't seem overly keen to lock one end before the other.

Looking forward to the Pyrenees trip next week :)
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

TJS wrote:The Z1 once again sailed through its MOT but the front brake pads (the originals) are getting thin at 25k miles.

Recommendations?

OEM, EBC, Pagid, Brembo, CL with prices ranging from £14 to £300. The car for road use only and I am not a heavy braker.

TJS
To answer your question,(sorry about that) I use Pagid on 3 cars. Tried Brembo and EBC, didn't notice much difference for the extra cost. Would like one that gives off the least dust, maybe thats at the high end of the scale?