BMW front and rear logo replacement

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
PaulC

Z1 roadster

BMW front and rear logo replacement

Post by PaulC »

Hi has anybody replaced the BMW front and rear logo. The new design is not enamel as per original, any suggestions?
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Re: BMW front and rear logo replacement

Post by Green Genie »

Hi Paul

Going by your profile you have a Z1, you will get more response if you post under the relevant Z1 section. You've posted under "check your diary"

The badges you need are Front 82mm and boot 70mm I assume if you buy them from a main dealer they would be enamel (or whatever) as per originals, see here.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=51_0936

I would be surprised if they aren't available from BMW, there are of course various items on eBay of dubious quality.

I've not removed mine, but have read they can be removed with gently inserting dental floss behind the badge and using a plastic tool (credit card?) to lift out.

Avoid the temptation to use a screwdriver or anything metal.

Good luck :)

Well spotted, moved to appropriate section.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

I replaced my bonnet badge some years ago due to discolouration. This badge has two pins on the rear which fit into plastic inserts in the bonnet. I replaced the inserts as well as the badge. Additionally my badge was also secured with a bit of non setting black mastic.
The Z1 emblem on the boot lid has been unavailable for some time. BMW are planning to remake a quantity of these this year. However i'm unaware of the date so you need to check with your dealer.

Pat
PaulC

Z1 roadster

Post by PaulC »

Many thanks for putting me on the correct section.

I did purchase a badge from BMW dealer but they have changed the design so that the lettering and lines are raised. The badges on my Z1 has an enamel flush finish, hence my question. As far as I can see the Z3 seems to be the last model with this design.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks for the tips.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

I am confused by the posts here. I have never seen a Z1 with an enamel bonnet badge. The original has a smooth clear plastic finish, as do the badges on current BMW's (unless my sight is a lot worse than I think it is!).
If you look at the Real OEM site which Green Genie pointed you to, you will see that the 82 dia. BMW front badge has had 3 part numbers since 1978, two of which could have been originally fitted to the Z1. Those being 51141872324 produced up to March 1992 or 51148132375 produced from January 1990 up to the present time.
I expect your badge will have a part number on the rear. If it is the earlier one the chances of getting a 'new old stock' badge must be very low.

Pat
PaulC

Z1 roadster

Post by PaulC »

>Thanks for yur note Pat much appreciated
nang

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nang »

Just leave the cheap Chinese one's alone :shock:
Tony.