Techno Classica, Essen

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Techno Classica, Essen

Post by TJS »

My second visit to this huge event on Friday. Very little Z1 content this time, just two cars, a very tatty red Z1 being offered by a Dutch dealer for 70k and one of only 50 rare, stunning, hugely desirable and valuable Dream Black / Light Grey displayed on the BMW Group Classic stand, complete with non standard steering wheel. Ok, so I am biased !

What is impressive about this show is the effort and pride Mercedes and VAG put into their displays, each take and customise an entire hall to display classics from their own collections alongside restoration projects from their factory approved restoration partners. BMW, meh ... the corner of a hall with cars supplied by the various owners clubs. I believe BMW did show the 1970 Richard Longman 1275 GT Racing Mini (70th Mini anniversary) and a couple of motorcycles given the logos on the BMW Group Classic truck in the car park. The BMW M1 on the stand was for sale, maybe via a dealer unless BMW Classic have followed the Jaguar model and now buy in, restore and sell on classics under the factory restored BMW Group Classic banner. Answers on a postcard please in respect of the asking price !!

Also had a long chat with Rob Vos, president of the BMW Z1 Club e.V who were displaying the Z1, it would be good to perhaps share a future event, maybe a technical day / weekend tour.

TJS

Z1 roadster

Re: Techno Classica, Essen

Post by TJS »

petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

A chap I know from BMWCCNE was telling us at the monthly meeting last Sunday that he had been to Techno Classica (flew over from Newcastle I believe), but had the same sentiments as TJS, where were BMW? Big presence from Mercedes and VAG. Just makes you think that BMW are only interested in selling new cars these days.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Just heard from some of my German Z1 friends
They were also disappointed with BMWs presence.
Not sure that BMW are listening. As far as new cars go there are several current and new models that I would not put on my drive.
In Florida at present and seen some of the new monster SUV. Oh dear I need several strong drinks!

Pat
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Planning to return to Essen this year, the first of a summer of scheduled events .... unless of course ...

felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Likewise, expect to be there Thursday and Friday, coronavirus notwithstanding. The Geneva motor show was cancelled; will the Techno Classica go ahead? Latest update is dated 26 Feb. http://siha.de/tce_images/Corona-gb-TCE ... 6feb20.pdf
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

I betting the show will be cancelled. A trade show booked for 10-13 at the Messe Essen has been postponed to the autumn. The German Minister for Health has said today organizers of events with more than 1,000 participants should call them off and ""Consider also what in your daily life is so important that you can't do without it for the next three months, whether that's an evening clubbing, a family birthday or a club meeting" The worst hit area of Germany is North Rhine-Westphalia. Guess where Essen is?
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Nothing on the official website, however ...

https://www.autotimesnews.com/techno-cl ... ronavirus/

Flying to / from Frankfurt with a meeting on Thursday pm, Essen on Friday. The meeting could be postponed, however, if flights and hotel cannot be refunded I may head to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart on Friday instead of Techno Classica.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Finally officially postponed to tbd.