LED Lights

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
PaulC

Z1 roadster

LED Lights

Post by PaulC »

Hi

I am looking to replace all the lamps and headlights with LED equivalents. Has anybody done this before and do you have any any "tips"?

Thanks
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Re: LED Lights

Post by bluejay »

Nope, but interested as well, let me know what you find out!!

Robert
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

The Z1 has a somewhat unique flasher relay. This mofication should do the trick - https://zroadster.org/threads/modified- ... -to.15927/ (go to post 73 for the pdf) but I have yet to try it. The relay is located inside the steering column covering so the steering wheel needs to come off to get to it. I have some of the necessary diodes - £1 each posted in the UK.
PaulC

Z1 roadster

Post by PaulC »

Many thanks for your feedback.

I have now fitted the LED's on all the rear clusters and side indicators and they all seem to work fine without any additional resistors. I purchased the LED's from www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk and are Osram.

I did try replacing the H1 headlamps and when connected worked fine. Due to the size of the heat sink on the rear of the bulb, could not fit the cover back on. One alternative would be to modify the cover but decided against this route.

I have been basically overhauling the lights and it is interesting that the front running light / Indicator lens gasket and bolts are still available. Only the whole assembly is available if you want a new lens. I am replacing the number plate lens' at a reasonable price as the old ones are a bit cracked due to old age.

The rear light assembly is still available in the region of £580 pounds per unit, so will put that on my Christmas wish list.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

PaulC...

I was in Aberdeen recently, should have contacted you!!

Interesting to add the LEDs...
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Rather than buy a complete light unit from BMW UK you can purchase a new front indicator / sidelight kit which include the plastic lens, rubber gasket and two new coloured plastic fixing screws from www.leebman24.de @ c.200 euros each plus delivery.