Front Panel Hang up point broken

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Front Panel Hang up point broken

Post by bluejay »

When I was washing the Z1 yesterday I noticed that the Front panel hang off point was probably broken.

IS this repairable (e.g. using fiberglass or something), a new panel will cost abt 1500€ including painting...

Anybody had experience with this?

Thanks
Robert
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Re: Front Panel Hang up point broken

Post by Pat Slade »

Robert,

Not sure which panel you mean. Is it what is loften termed the front bumper?.That is the panel with the grille and number plate?
If that is the panel have a look at Michael Kabbert's Z1 On Line website. Have a look at Art. 90030.
Hope this may help.

Pat
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

Yes, it is...

IN the parts catalogue it is shown as front panel...

I'll have a look at that link, thanks

Robert
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

It appears this is indeed the part I need...

Unfortunately Herr Kabbert is taken ill with the Corona virus. I hope he will make a quick recovery and be home again soon!

Robert
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi Robert,

I hope you could fix the hanging points of your front panel with the parts I sent to you and I hope it works?

Regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

Have not gotten around to it yet, collecting some other parts before I start clearing the garage....

Robert
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

So over the last few weeks have been able to take of the front bumper cover and repair the hang-up points:

Parts were provided by Stoertie, and included brackets left and rigth, screws, cleaner and primer for the glue. He was also available for asssitance!! Thanks very much for your help on this!

I also took the opportunity to clean out the indicator lenses, the orange paint was flaking already and with some careful use of acetone (don't leave it on too long as it will eat in to the plastic) and a toothbrush cleared the lenses.

I also installed some nutserts in the bottompanel to allow the use of a bolt instead of parker screws. Still need to install these, but need to lift the front of the Z1 to have decent access, this will be done by friday.

Some tips:
  • You do need some replacement split nails for the lefthand and the righthand side, just below the indicator lights, and there are three "hidden" torx bolts under the bonnet/hood rubber between the indicator lights.
  • You need a 10mm deep/long socket to get to the hangoff bolts behind the wheel inner fender
  • Consider replacing the inner front fender while you are at it. Mine are showing their age (30+) and are getting brittle
Not a hugely difficult job, but take your time and it will come out fine.

(I had attached some images, but they don't show up...)
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

bluejay wrote: Mon 13 Jul, 2020 09:27 So over the last few weeks have been able to take of the front bumper cover and repair the hang-up points:

Parts were provided by Stoertie, and included brackets left and rigth, screws, cleaner and primer for the glue. He was also available for asssitance!! Thanks very much for your help on this!

• You need a 10mm deep/long socket to get to the hangoff bolts behind the wheel inner fender
Not a hugely difficult job, but take your time and it will come out fine.
Hi Robert,

nice to hear that everything works well and that you are satisfied with the parts and support. :)

To reach the bolts for mounting the panel it's also possibile and easy to take out the head lights.
Only problem is, that you have to adjust the lights afterwards.

Best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image