What are your Covid 19 Z1 related isolation projects ?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

What are your Covid 19 Z1 related isolation projects ?

Post by TJS »

While checking the fuel hoses it was apparent the rear wheel arch liners have come to the end of their working life. They are now super brittle and the material around most of the fixing points has shattered.

So .... having fitted new liners to the front arches 3 years ago my isolation project is to replace the rears.

If ordering a set via BMW UK you will have to pay £473 up front, in full, on a no return, no refund basis. I am told any parts which need to be shipped from Germany via BMW UK can only be purchased on this basis. Personally, I suspect this is more to do with the quality of the parts which is ... extremely poor!

They carry a manufacturing date of 3/2019 and were made by Auria Solutions GmbH with what seems to be a rubber solution poured into a mould. The mouldings are certainly not symmetrical or a left / right mirror image which may or may not be correct.

However, unlike the blank front units the rear panels are supplied with various rather large fixing holes and an aperture for the rear damper so should be relatively simple to fit. Famous last words !

Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: What are your Covid 19 Z1 related isolation projects ?

Post by Gazza »

Here’s a suggestion, get them copied in fibreglass :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

• Need to repair a hangoff point on the front. Trying to source a part from Germany!
  • Front indicators need drying out and the orange paint removed, fitting a orange blub if not already in there
  • Installing the DAB antenna, last part for the new DAB+ radio
Seems enough for the moment....
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Gazza wrote: Sat 21 Mar, 2020 18:53 Here’s a suggestion, get them copied in fibreglass :D

Is fibreglass flexible enough when it comes to removing the rear wings for door maintenance? The road facing gel coat would need to be waterproof Another option may be to strengthen by sandwiching the original moulded thermoplastic items in two layers of clear paint protection film, assuming you could remove them without huge damage.

Bluejay, what radio are you fitting ? The new Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 looks interesting as a potential Z1 retro fit
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

I fitted the Pioneer, 7200DAB

Robert
MrClaptrap

Z1 roadster

Post by MrClaptrap »

Finally it looks like I mght get some time to fiddle with the Z1!
I need to sort out the whole central locking / door switches issue.
Not sure where the faults lie, but i can only close the doors from the inside handle, whereas the out side button will happily open them?
The Boot doesn't seem to be connected to the central locking at all. I need to just work my way through everything and it looks like I have a bit of time on my hands !
I bought it in the middle of last year and as yet haven't really dug into it.
I'm sure I'll come back with loads of questions for eveyone!
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

MrClaptrap wrote: Mon 23 Mar, 2020 16:43
The Boot doesn't seem to be connected to the central locking at all.
Hi and welcome to the forum, That is normal they are all like that, you have to use the key to unlock the boot.

You will find lots of help here on Jets website http://www.bmwz1.co.uk/
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Hi Tony

Good to see your keeping your self busy in these bleak times.

My front wheel arch liners are ok, but I'm in the same situation as you are re the rear inner wheel arches, they are both cracked and very brittle.

Disappointing that the quality of the replacement items isn't up to scratch!

One thing you may want to check out when you have the rear shockers down is the bump stops. I've been advised on one of my service visits that my bump stops are worn and need replacement, this would be a good time to replace them (doubt they'd be that costly) and another job off the list.

Do the rear wings need to be removed to replace the liners?
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Hi Keith

Thanks for the heads up on the bump stops, I was also considering replacing the lower damper bushes, subject of course being able to get the parts within the next couple of weeks.

Do you need to remove the rear wing to fit the replacement liners, hmm, very good question ! Hopefully not, however I am not too keen on pulling the rear wing about too much in case it splits so removal may be safest option. The old liner took 10 seconds to remove, it simply shattered and fell apart as the fixings were undone.

Fingers crossed the new liners don't need too much fettling and the fixing holes line up. The small cover which overlaps the bottom panel and wing gap doesn't follow the moulding of the new liner so may need to be tweaked with a hot air gun.

TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

So ... one down, one to go.

You can install the new liner after taking off the damper without removing the wing. The best way is to insert the outer edge of the liner into the rim of the wing first to avoid putting pressure on the wing and its mountings.

I cleaned and reused the fittings with thread lock. It took 3 hours to fit, remove, modify and refit (x 2) using the four chassis mounted fixings as the principal datum points. The remaining fixing points have some flexibility in positioning, however, I was unable to use the one of the fittings in the roof of the liner as the moulded hole was 3 cms out of alignment. The profile of the curve on the lower front edge of the rear wing is pretty poor and I needed to trim and re-profile the liner around the exhaust mounting.

Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Tony,

Well done! Very useful comments and great photos to encourage many of us who will face this job sooner or later.
The rears are definitely easier than the fronts.

It is clear that with our delicate plastics patience is a virtue!

My isolation Z1 jobs are less ambitious. Oil service, and a couple of electrical mods. Fitting a lights on warner, and "comfort" indicators.

Pat
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Hi Pat, hope you are well.

The only slight difference with the offside liner is to make sure the fuel filler overflow pipe is threaded through the hole in the bottom rear adjacent to the spire nuts and fixings; tape a piece of string to it and pop through the centre hole while mounting the liner.

The increasing fragility of the liners may become an issue for servicing. My recent discussions with those BMW dealers willing to service the car included one who not only knew what a Z1 was but also what needed to be done, to the extent they refused to take on the work due to not wishing to accept any responsibility for breakages to the front wheel arch liners when removing the front undertray. I suspect it was a case of once bitten, twice shy. The front liners are trickier to fit, not helped by being supplied blank with no holes for the suspension strut and fixing points. Using the old liner as a pattern isn't going work if it shatters into many pieces. Hopefully BMW have now rectified this omission.

Don't worry about disposing of the old liners, both easily fitted into a carrier bag !

MrClaptrap

Z1 roadster

Post by MrClaptrap »

Green Genie wrote: Mon 23 Mar, 2020 18:34
MrClaptrap wrote: Mon 23 Mar, 2020 16:43
The Boot doesn't seem to be connected to the central locking at all.
Hi and welcome to the forum, That is normal they are all like that, you have to use the key to unlock the boot.

You will find lots of help here on Jets website http://www.bmwz1.co.uk/
Thanks for that, I will start to delve into it all over the next couple of days, wish me luck!
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

MrClaptrap wrote: Mon 23 Mar, 2020 16:43 The Boot doesn't seem to be connected to the central locking at all.
Have a look at https://z1z1.de/frames/z1-zubehoer_fs.html or https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... er_fs.html
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Hi Tony

Looks like you've been busy on your car recently, well done you.

I've recently had an Inspection 2 service carried out and whilst the car was in the garage decided to bite the bullet and had both rear arch liners changed, mine were badly cracked and literally falling apart. Not cheap as you well know.. but at least the parts were available.

So that's another couple of old 1990's bits of plastic gone from my car, what's next?
bjorno

Z1 roadster

Post by bjorno »

I just got my Z1 in September and decided to do a full check up.

What I have allready done:
- Checked the engine and changed all seals, a couple water hoses underneath the inlet, Time belt, waterpump, a full maintenance and a clean up.
- Re-done the brake calipers (seals, cleaned and resprayed), new flexibel brake lines and new brake fluid.
- changed the Right front and left rear inner liners, other one's where stil okay.
- Replaced both covers underneath the engine.
- Changed the oil cooler (old one was in terrible condition) and re-done the oil filter housing.
- Changed the Power Steering fluid hoses and new fluid.
- Took of all the bodywork for an inspection.
- Took both doors of for a proper clean up.
- Took off front and rear suspension, wil have the springs re-coated and new rubbers and bumpstops and a clean up.

Stil do to:
- Cleaning up the interior
- Put all the bodywork back on and give it a hand polish
- But suspension back on.
- And a couple other small things