Carbon Pin for horn

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
acaciolo

Z1 roadster

Carbon Pin for horn

Post by acaciolo »

My horn stopped working and I tracked it down to a worn out carbon pin in the steering wheel. I "think" i ordered a new one, as most vendors list is as out of stock. It isn't like on other bmws where you have to drill out rivets and replace with screws, so I am not sure how this is removed. It is just pulled out or do I need to do something from behind?

thanks

tony c

ps. hope everyone is safe and doing well with this horrible virus.
felix

Z1 roadster

Re: Carbon Pin for horn

Post by felix »

What I found on mine was that the pin was binding and the spring couldn't overcome the friction. I can't remember what I did - might have sanded it down very slightly and/or lubricated it. That seemed to have cured it.
acaciolo

Z1 roadster

Post by acaciolo »

thanks! my pin is still spring loaded, but it looks very worn down. lots of little shavings inside the wheel hub too, so I think it just might be worn down too much. I am going to try sanding it a little though
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Hey Tony

I have had this on my old CSL, which is as you say a question of drilling out the two rivets. Not got there on the Z1 yet as no need. However, from what you describe you are able to get it out and get to the spring. Is there anything to be gained by packing the spring end of things so the spring seats further 'up' the barrel and thus the carbon protrudes a bit further/perkier (an OK adjective, since we are after all discussing the horn).

If that gets you anywhere I would also suggest cleaning the whole thing up with brake cleaner or similar and then lubing up with something light, such as WD40 or similar, perhaps even graphite grease if you can get any. I seem to remember with the CSL it was not so much a question of shavings, but it was all very dry and tired looking.

Hope this helps and keep safe everyone.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
acaciolo

Z1 roadster

Post by acaciolo »

I can't really see anyway for this pin to be removed from the front. there are no rivets, screws, brackets etc....so I was wondering if it just pulls out from the front or if I need to remove the shroud because there is some type of bracket from the back holding it. My looks like someone just filed it down..it is very shiny and lots of filings inside. As of now, I can't get to the spring because I didn't get the pin assembly out yet.

but with all the time with the corona lockdown (we are quarantined for another 30 days, it looks like I'll have time.)

thanks!
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Does it in some way pull out the back? (I mean toward the front of the car as you drive)
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
acaciolo

Z1 roadster

Post by acaciolo »

i have to take apart the shroud and a bunch of lower trim pieces to see. I haven't gotten to that yet because I was hoping someone would just say "pull it out towards the driver's seat and you don't have to remove the shroud."
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Hmm. OK then. Good luck and I am sure someone like Ivor's done this on a Zettie by now?
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog