True or false ?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

True or false ?

Post by TJS »

The original scheduled production run for the Z1 was 4,000 cars, however, the final 8,000 was ultimately determined by the body moulds which were worn out ?

skip to 3.10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24nxV7cvMfw
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Re: True or false ?

Post by bluejay »

Never heard that that was the case. I always understand that the cost to produce was to high, but of course if you have to replace body moulds every 4000(?) units that would make sense too...

Robert
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

I doubt that figure of 4000 is true, I’m sure BMW Would’ve sold more than 8000 cars if the demand was there.

The car was expensive at the time Porsche 911 money? Didn’t Mercedes just release the new SL at the time?

Taken from Wikipedia (not always correct) :roll:

Initial demand was strong, with BMW receiving orders for 3,500 vehicles before production began.[4] However, demand dropped significantly around 1988 and BMW ended production in 1991. There is speculation that the drop in demand was due to the early inflated demand from speculative investors.[16] In 1988, however, BMW was quoted as saying that they had 35,000 orders for the Z1.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

I'd go with false.

My understanding was that the demand for production facilities for the 'new' E36 was so high that the Z1 became a casualty. Its production line was slow and inefficient in terms of use of space and number of cars + profit per car that it did turn out. The 3-er by comparison was built to a price, in ultra high demand and very profitable.

You have to remember that when the E30 and then E36 cars were current, they were head and shoulders above their rivals in a way that is not the case with the F-whatever it is equivalent. Audi, Mercedes and even Jaguar and Alfa build cars that are all pretty dammed good. That was not the case in 1990 and BMW wanted to fill their boots...
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog