Rust spots on silencer... should I be overly concerned?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
NeilGezAd

Z1 roadster

Rust spots on silencer... should I be overly concerned?

Post by NeilGezAd »

Evening all,

Please see photos of rust spots on rear silencer. I know the silencer is “double skinned” and I suspect this has been caused by previous owner/storage company running the car for thirty minutes or so, to top up the battery, resulting in water build up in exhaust? I’m thinking of sanding down, applying rustolem, and spraying with high heat gunmetal paint. Good or bad idea! Thoughts welcome. Many TIA. Neil
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Re: Rust spots on silencer... should I be overly concerned?

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Neil,

I am sure many of us have had the same rust spot problem, and my treatment was roughly the same as you propose. Luckily my chosen MOT man is a classic car fan and understands the silencer construction.
I believe that the rust, and even a hole, on the outer skin of the standard exhaust does mean a leak, nor is it necessarily under pressure from exhaust gases.
Somewhere I have seen a cutaway photo of the silencer box. If you can find it I anticipate that it should satisfy an unfamiliar (!) MOT tester if you have a problem!

Pat
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Re: Rust spots on silencer... should I be overly concerned?

Post by Green Genie »

Pat Slade wrote: Fri 23 Oct, 2020 17:18
Somewhere I have seen a cutaway photo of the silencer box. If you can find it I anticipate that it should satisfy an unfamiliar (!) MOT tester if you have a problem!

Pat
I think this is what Pat is referring to.

http://www.bmwz1.co.uk/z1silencer.htm