Z1 Side Repeaters

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
GaryK
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Z1 Side Repeaters

Post by GaryK »

I have finally decided I need to fit the correct side repeaters to my Z1 rather than the 'Heath Robinson' LED's that I fitted 'temporarily' 13 years ago!
The current ones are wired to the rear lights (as access was easy) but i would like to connect the repeaters correctly. Does anyone know where they are connected to when the dealers did them and or have a wiring diagram? Their exact position also doesn't seem to be consistent, some close to the wheel arch and others near the door. Any comments regarding their position?

Thanks

Gary
Jet

blank

Re: Z1 Side Repeaters

Post by Jet »

I didn't think the Z1 was ever issued with side indicators by TUEV in 1980s Germany, most UK owners use the E30 as a guide when positioning. Mr Kossyk?

Using the front lights as your source is much easier given the shorter distance, easy access and its just 2 wires.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Jet,
Can you give some background to this subject please?
Or is it just addressed to Michael?
Pat
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Gary,
All the UK Z1s had side repeaters fitted in production in Germany. These to the best of my knowledge were only fitted in one position.
It followsI that any of the cars you see in the UK with correct side indicators fitted in unusual (or upside down) positions are retrofitted imports.
Pat

PS Apologies Jet. For some reason my computer did not produce Gary’s post the first time I looked!
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi,

sorry for my late reply...

Here is the indicator part of the Z1 wiring diagramm. H7 and H8 are the additional indicator bulbs. I don't know if there is a different wiring harness for the cars they delivered with side indicator or if thex just made a quick modification and connect the wires to these additional indicators to the original wiring harness.
Indicator_BMW_Z1.jpg
(101.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
About the position I have no informations, but I think there where 2 different pairs of side panals available.

The parts-no. for the side indicators are

Left indicator: 63132297091
Right indicator: 63132297092

These parts should be available and the price ( from the shop of Leebmann24.de ) is 35,- Euros

I hope that helps?

regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
GaryK
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by GaryK »

Thank you for all your replies.
Unfortunatley I didnt get them until i had already fitted the lights on Saturday am!
I still wasnt sure if the forward or back position was correct for original UK cars (mine went to France originally) so in the end I offered the lights up and decided where I felt they looked best.
I decided on the forward position, just behind the front wheel arch as the angle on the front of the light followed the line of the wheel arch.
That being said I didnt actually install the BMW repeater but a small round light with a smoked lens. This required a smaller hole than the BMW unit so if I ever sell the car the BMW unit can be installed in its place.

I much prefer the look of the car without the repeaters and the round light was a s close to no light as I could get.
When I get a moment I will photograph so people can express their own opinion.

Wiring was simple enough with the front wing and headlight off just tapping inito the feed for the front indicators.

Thanks for you help again.

Gary
GaryK
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by GaryK »

As promised attached are photos of the side repeaters.
Off to get an MOT today , hopefully!
Z1 repeaters.jpg
Z1 repeaters.jpg (249.8 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Z1 repeaters 2.jpg
Z1 repeaters 2.jpg (186.03 KiB) Viewed 2380 times