It was only a question of time until ....

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

It was only a question of time until ....

Post by TJS »

I am not optimistic about the longevity of a repair so need to look at replacement plus the inevitable repainting and matching of the metallic black.

Options ?
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Re: It was only a question of time until ....

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Tony,

The same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. Always super careful because aware of the fragility and the experience of others.
Bought an aluminium flap, with metal hinge, ready painted, from Marco Kuhnel. Well made and the paint was a perfect match. Think I found it by recommendation within German Z1 club but you can see details on z1z1.de. I got the stickers for it from BMW, but they are NLA. I think I have seen that replacements from a third party are available.
JB Weld excellent stuff!

Pat
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Hi Pat

JB Weld tackles most Z1 related repairs, but unfortunately not the filler flap! There is insufficient space to reinforce the curved break on both sizes and refit into the holder which means the leverage force when opening overcomes the repair.

Marco has kindly put me touch with Stephane Hennig regarding the supply of a redesigned aluminium replacement which also does away with the separate flap holder. I noticed new plastic replacements are still available from BMW but I assume they will be 30 plus years old, probably brittle, and still have the inherent design flaw.

Painting will be interesting, especially matching the metallic black. The Z1 specific tyre pressure and fuel stickers for the inside of the flap have been reproduced and available from Pukardesigns.

https://www.pukardesigns.com/

Regards

TJS
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

TJS wrote: Thu 04 Nov, 2021 09:28 I noticed new plastic replacements are still available from BMW but I assume they will be 30 plus years old, probably brittle, and still have the inherent design flaw.
Hi Tony,

yes, that's right, maybe you get an old part, but you have a 2 year guarantee (at least in Germany)
Our blue Z1 also needed a new flap shortly after we bought it ... The new one broke off after a few weeks, so we got a new one from BMW without any problems. :D

But Stefane's aluminum flap is made to last. :D

regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

I agree with Stoertie, a replacement is inkeeping with your car and providing your ultra careful when fitting, there is little to no pressure on the flap when vertical so should last another 20years.

I am onto my 3rd, broke the new replacement when fitting. 😩