Did you know that already?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Did you know that already?

Post by Stoertie »

Hello,

did you know that the McLaren F1 has the frontlights as the Z1? :shock:

https://www.bimmertoday.de/2022/08/04/m ... rsteigert/ ← sorry it's only in German but here is a deepl.com translation of the text:
McLaren F1: Unique specimen with BMW Z1 lighting technology to be auctioned off

Only a double-digit number of road-legal McLaren F1s have ever been sold, but some examples are even more exclusive than others, even in this highly exclusive circle. ...

Only a double-digit number of road-legal McLaren F1s have ever been sold, but some examples are even more exclusive than others, even in this highly exclusive circle. This undoubtedly includes the car with chassis number 059, as it uses the lighting technology of the BMW Z1 Roadster in addition to the fabulous BMW V12 in the rear. Yes, you read that right: This McLaren F1 was delivered from the factory with alternative headlight technology. The Z1 lights allowed the headlight housings to be made slightly shorter, but more importantly they were to test a solution to lighting problems on several of the McLaren F1s that were first delivered: The light output of the original headlights was simply not sufficient for night driving, so a suitable alternative had to be found quickly.

Apart from the unique headlights, the McLaren F1 #059 is "only" as fascinating as all the other 63 road-legal examples. The heart and power source of the super sports car with carbon fibre passenger cell developed by Gordon Murray is a BMW twelve-cylinder S70B61, which provided unrivalled propulsion with over 600 hp for a long time. On the example now offered for auction, the optional High Downforce Kit provides additional downforce and even more stability at high speeds - certainly not a bad investment when you have the top speed of around 390 km/h in mind.

In the latest photos by Patrick Ernzen for the renowned auction house RM Sotheby's, we see not only the exterior and the special headlights but also the interior of the McLaren F1 in rare richness of detail. A few more photos show the engine compartment and other technical components of the car, which for many years was indisputably the fastest production car with road approval.

If you are interested in the highly exclusive McLaren F1 or simply want to keep an eye on the price development, you should mark 18 August in your calendar: In exactly two weeks, the online auction will begin and run for 48 hours, at the end of which a new owner will be determined.

(Photos: Patrick Ernzen ©2022 Courtesy of RM Sotheby's)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
tg184

Z1 roadster

Re: Did you know that already?

Post by tg184 »

👍

This link https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/03/mcl ... y-auction/

- adds a head on picture of a ‘standard’ (!) F1 for comparison, in case anyone’s interested.
FOR: Balance
AGAINST: Yours will be in doubt at this price

- CAR Magazine's GBU summary of the Z1 in period
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

I knew about the pillar mounted mirrors and ignition barrel, but not this.

Hope you’re well Mr K
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi Jamal,

sorry for my late reply... ;)

Yes everything is well here! - Some small problems with my yellow one but enough time in winter to find out the reasons and to fix it. :D

regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image