New Z1 owner introduction

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
HankLloydRight

Z1 roadster

New Z1 owner introduction

Post by HankLloydRight »

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself to this community of Z1 owners.
Last week I bought @Budget M3's black Z1 (VIN: 00140). Thank you Mark! (who also goes by "ZFirst1").
I've been obsessed with these cars since I first saw a green one at the Greenwich Concours in Greenwich, CT several years ago.
I'm thrilled to finally own one, and a spectacular one at that.

This is the 6th BMW I've owned. I've previously owned:
1995 325i
2002 E39 M5
2010 Z4 sDrive 35i

Still own these:
2009 335i Convertible
2016 X6M

I look forward to participating in this community here and on Facebook.
-Hank
acaciolo

Z1 roadster

Re: New Z1 owner introduction

Post by acaciolo »

delorean, tesla, and now z1! I'll be seeing you at lots of events. Congrats on the car. Post some pics.

tony c
HankLloydRight

Z1 roadster

Post by HankLloydRight »

acaciolo wrote: Tue 14 Mar, 2023 21:01 delorean, tesla, and now z1! I'll be seeing you at lots of events. Congrats on the car. Post some pics.
Now if you tell me you also collect Breitling watches, we must have been twins separated at birth. ;)
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Welcome Hank :)
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

Welcome, Hank. As you've probably already noticed in other strings of correspondence, there's a huge amount of knowledge and help available in this group.
HankLloydRight

Z1 roadster

Post by HankLloydRight »

Ok, I'm looking for the two gas struts that hold the trunk open. BMW Part#: 51242290535

I'm fine with paying $50 each for those, but these seem like pretty generic gas struts.

Has anyone found a generic replacement strut that works? Thanks.
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Hi
Stabilus is OEM supplier and usually a good start to find cheaper replacement
Like this one
https://www.ap.works/stabilus-1665bu-14 ... t-gasfeder
You have all specifications so you might be able to find another brand in the US with those details
HankLloydRight

Z1 roadster

Post by HankLloydRight »

Thanks!

Remarkably, I had just found these on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803439979199.html

I never thought the market for Z1 specific parts would make it to Aliexpress, but there you go.
Correct part number and all. Yes, I know they are not OEM, but for $28/pair including shipping, I'll give it a shot.
HankLloydRight

Z1 roadster

Post by HankLloydRight »

I have a few more new owner questions for the group. These aren't too important, but I'm curious about them.

1. What some easy mods are available to boost the power of the motor a bit? ECU tuning? I do not want to go as far as race cams or bore/stroke or exhaust mods.

2. I want to install a stealth/hardwired RADAR/Laser detector unit. Where would there be space to install the control boxes? Typically they go behind the dash, but I don't know if there's room back there for two small control boxes and a speaker (and wiring). Any other suggestions for where to install these?

3. Along those lines, is there an accessible/existing hole in the firewall that I can use to pass the wiring through into the cabin?

4. I saw one or two Youtube videos that appear that the owner has a remote control/key fob to open/close the doors. Is this add-on available anywhere, or were they one-off units they built/installed themselves? Any web pages with more info on this?

5. Is it possible to remove the seat panels/shells without removing the seats? If so, how? I want to have them wrapped.

I'm sure I'll have more, but this is a start if anyone can offer some tips or suggestions. Thank you!
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Hi

Can't provide feedback on everything but here few tips

2/ I do not know such equipment and size of thoses boxes.
Anyway, you have some space available :
- below heating buttons/mirror switch, behind ashtray
- in center console, next to handbrake
- above pedals
Btw, If you go for half din radio without cd/tape then you free some extra space behind the radio which can be useful

3/ yes, there is at least 1 available close to fusebox

Hope this can help
HankLloydRight

Z1 roadster

Post by HankLloydRight »

Thanks! "Half-DIN"?? I didn't know such a thing existed. Of too research that now!
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Half DIN is maybe the wrong wording, not in height but depth ;-)
When there is no CD or tape mecanism, new devices have usually half depth... i discovered that recently :D