Right hand door pull.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
MickaMills

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Right hand door pull.

Post by MickaMills »

Hi guys

The right hand side door pull has come away from the door card at the top, is this common / easy to fix?

Any help gratefully received, just need pointing in the right direction.

Regards
Mick
PeteW Surrey

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Right hand door pull.

Post by PeteW Surrey »

Hi Mick

The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. I am not sure there is a successful fix to the plastic connection to the door frame breaks. I ended up ordering a new one from BMW for £105 which ironically was cheaper than those on ebay. You will need your VIN number to confirm the correct colour. The part No. is 51418398734 for the o/s door.

You will need to take the door card off the door to install, one of the connections is a plastic stud that needs to to be heat welded into place, I used a soldering iron for this.

Good luck!

Pete
MickaMills

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by MickaMills »

Thanks Pete, I looked on eBay and guys are asking £135 for used parts so £105 is a better option for brand new, will give them a go.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Hi, I have successfully repaired it a year ago. Of course you need to take the door card off.
I used a two component Loctite Power Epoxy, as much as possible to connect the two parts again.
I guess they are getting broken in the same place for us, the hard plastic part. So, in order to make it even stronger, I also drilled a horizontal hole for a 3 mm diameter long screw, rather parallell to the door side. This screw is going from the front side of the handle, straight through to the opposite side, behind the electric button unit, where I place a nut. In this way, and in my case, I'm also connecting the broken parts to each other in a mechanical way, helping the Power Epoxy.
Actually, you can hardly see the head of the screw, because the head is disappearing into the "leather".
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

I noticed now that I actually also used a screw from the underside to the inside, through the broken plastic. Anyway, the combination of a couple of screws with nuts through the broken plastic part and Loctite power epoxy is getting strong enough. At least, it has been working one and a half year for me, feeling strong.