Next time im washing it myself!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
AlanDam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Next time im washing it myself!!

Post by AlanDam »

Decided to take my car to a hand car wash hoping it would look as good as new. But when i got back i was pi*&ed off

Its always problems after another and money wasted.

So im asking ppl if they know any recommended and affordable :D sprayers near Rainham, essex.

Thanks

Alan
jamila

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by jamila »

OMG, I'd be going back there if it was me. I always go to car washes but this has really put me off.

Sorry to hear about that :( hope you get it sorted.

Jamila

oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Next time im washing it myself!!

Post by oakley6691 »

AlanDam wrote:Decided to take my car to a hand car wash hoping it would look as good as new. But when i got back i was pi*&ed off
To be fair i would be pissed off, but looking at the picture it looks like that bumper may have been painted before and whoever did this may not have prepared the surface properly of may have wet on wet painted it, no hand wash or even a power wash should take the paint of unless the user was totally careless...this only my opinion, i could be wrong
AlanDam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AlanDam »

oakley6691 wrote:
AlanDam wrote:Decided to take my car to a hand car wash hoping it would look as good as new. But when i got back i was pi*&ed off
To be fair i would be pissed off, but looking at the picture it looks like that bumper may have been painted before and whoever did this may not have prepared the surface properly of may have wet on wet painted it, no hand wash or even a power wash should take the paint of unless the user was totally careless...this only my opinion, i could be wrong
I been using hand car wash at least once a week, i never had the bumper resprayed. It might of been the hot weather that day i took it for a wash???
But still i have to respray it. :head:
The Colonel

Z4 M roadster

Post by The Colonel »

AlanDam wrote:So im asking ppl if they know any recommended and affordable :D sprayers near Rainham, essex.
You could try I. D. Morris, in Dagenham.

1 Selinas Lane,
Dagenham,
Essex
RM8 1QH

020 8592 1919

At the Whalebone Lane end. They did some work for me many years ago, a tricky colour too, and was very happy with the results and cost.

Besides, you should always wash your car by hand yourself. It is theraputic and the wife keeps a million miles away.

Marvellous.

:lol:
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

like all things, if you want it done properly, do it yourself. Otherwise getting others to clean it for you will have more of a chance of ending in disaster as they have no personal connection to the car, and ultimately don't really care.

Learnt that one the hard way, although it was on my focus thankfully
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
AlanDam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AlanDam »

The Colonel wrote:
AlanDam wrote:So im asking ppl if they know any recommended and affordable :D sprayers near Rainham, essex.
You could try I. D. Morris, in Dagenham.

1 Selinas Lane,
Dagenham,
Essex
RM8 1QH

020 8592 1919

At the Whalebone Lane end. They did some work for me many years ago, a tricky colour too, and was very happy with the results and cost.

Besides, you should always wash your car by hand yourself. It is theraputic and the wife keeps a million miles away.

Marvellous.

:lol:
Just gave them a call, they quote me on the phone £150. Sounds like a fair price??

Alan
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Sorry to hear about this. I would never bring mine anywhere to get it cleaned. I always recommend folks do car cleaning themselves.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
AlanDam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AlanDam »

Justin Time wrote:like all things, if you want it done properly, do it yourself. Otherwise getting others to clean it for you will have more of a chance of ending in disaster as they have no personal connection to the car, and ultimately don't really care.

Learnt that one the hard way, although it was on my focus thankfully
Yup i learnt it £150 the hard way :lol:
The Colonel

Z4 M roadster

Post by The Colonel »

AlanDam wrote:Just gave them a call, they quote me on the phone £150. Sounds like a fair price??

Alan
Sounds good. A couple of years back Mercedes charged me £110.00 to have my SLK's front skirt and bonnet leading edge preped and sprayed, but while they were also doing some warranty work, otherwise it would have cost £180.

Hand?

Post by Guest »

Hand wash? It can only be damage caused by a power washer. The French are addicted to power washers, and we see lots of this type of damage on quite new cars, where the HP water has caught a deep stone chip, and lifted the paint.

The problem is aided by BMW's lack of adequate priming - in the old days all plastic parts on their motorcycles were treated with a white primer before anything else. this used to really stick to the plastic, but since about 1985 they stopped using it, with predictable results. Needless to say, their cars are now as bad.
AlanDam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Hand?

Post by AlanDam »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Hand wash? .
Yeah they used the power water machine thingy.
Justinitus

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by Justinitus »

Sorry to hear of your woes AlanDam :(

If operated correctly, even a stone chip shouldn't prove an issue even on a plastic bumper if the machine is used correctly. They may have set the water temperature of the washer too high (should be no more than 40 degrees on plastic parts and most washes set theirs at 50 for getting rid of heavier grime).

I am guessing this is either bad training of the guy who was using the washer or just laziness - the most common cause of this type of damage in the summer is putting the jet too near a painted bumper to remove fly squash... any commercial machine will be operating at 1500psi or more and going too close with the jet WILL cause damage. Combined with too high temperature.... :shock:

I work for one of the leading manufacturers of washing equipment and this type of damage is commonly an operator error. Tip: Look for the hand car wash with the longest queue (they queue for a reason...!) and never use a supermarket car park one.

I have used power washers to clean all my vehicles for the last 5 years and TBH a washer will keep paintwork looking better than just handwashing due to the fact that it rids the paintwork of most of the grit before a sponge goes anywhere near the paint and hence reduces abrasion. One should not use a hot water power washer over 40 degrees C on alloy wheels either, as it dulls the laquer very quickly.

Still, i have to admit that cleaning the Z4 by hand is very therapeutic!! :wink:
Regards

Jus

RIP: '06 Z4 2.0i Sport, Montego Blue, Heated Black Leather
Justinitus

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by Justinitus »

Justinitus wrote:Sorry to hear of your woes AlanDam :(

If operated correctly, even a stone chip shouldn't prove an issue even on a plastic bumper if the machine is used correctly. They may have set the water temperature of the washer too high (should be no more than 40 degrees on plastic parts and most washes set theirs at 50 for getting rid of heavier grime).

I am guessing this is either bad training of the guy who was using the washer or just laziness - the most common cause of this type of damage in the summer is putting the jet too near a painted bumper to remove fly squash... rather than scrub by hand. Any commercial machine will be operating at 1500psi or more and going too close with the jet WILL cause damage. Combined with too high temperature.... :shock:

I work for one of the leading manufacturers of washing equipment and this type of damage is commonly an operator error. Tip: Look for the hand car wash with the longest queue (they queue for a reason...!) and never use a supermarket car park one.

I have used power washers to clean all my vehicles for the last 5 years and TBH a washer will keep paintwork looking better than just handwashing due to the fact that it rids the paintwork of most of the grit before a sponge goes anywhere near the paint and hence reduces abrasion. One should not use a hot water power washer over 40 degrees C on alloy wheels either, as it dulls the laquer very quickly.

Still, i have to admit that cleaning the Z4 by hand is very therapeutic!! :wink:
Regards

Jus

RIP: '06 Z4 2.0i Sport, Montego Blue, Heated Black Leather
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

That's terrible - I've had small scratches due to hand car washes, but never anything like that fortunately. I can't see how any car wash, even the petrol station car washes could do that damage regardless of how hot the weather has been, unless the paint had already been flaking off and more was taken off as it was washed! Regardless I feel for you and hope you get it sorted. £150 sounds reasonable as long as they do a good job!
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

Shame you aren't further North, i've just had my front and rear bumpers resprayed for £215 and they look amazing. 8-)
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

God - prices seem so much more reasonable outside London or even Greater London!
big cheesy

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by big cheesy »

Calbens, where did you go to get that price ? Sounds pretty good as I might have some needing done soon.
capone11

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by capone11 »

I got my car washed a car washing place and they jethosed the seals between the windows and roof from about 2 inches away! they broke them!

Wankers!
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

big cheesy wrote:Calbens, where did you go to get that price ? Sounds pretty good as I might have some needing done soon.
It's a contact of the owner of the small local garage that we have gone to for the last 8 years in Standish (Wigan).
I must admit I would be lying if I wasn't nervous about having it done by somebody I had no info on but then I trust the garage and we take our four cars there for all the servicing, waxoyling, problems etc, so I guessed that we are one of their best customers and they wouldn't want to lose us lol. I also threatened them with their lives when I dropped her off which might have helped. :D
The colour match was perfect, which was one of my worries with it being Mora Red but it's that good I'm planning on getting the bonnet done.

Labour Rates

Post by Guest »

If you need paintwork doing, why not combine it with a holiday in France? Our local VW dealer's paint shop works for 40 Euro / £25 per hour! If they can handle the current VW/Audi paint, BMW paint is not a problem. I think this is typical, as average earnings in France are only about £12k a year.

I'll be having them respray my LH door and rear wing soon, after being lightly attacked by flying floor tiles in Switzerland, when a truck shed its load. I'll report back.
csquire3

blank.gif

Post by csquire3 »

I've used these guys twice on new cars. Very good work, good rates and a Volvo approved repairer, always seems to be good quality cars been worked on.

Don't just take the cheapest quote, make sure they have all the proper equipment (e.g. low bake ovens) - if they don't look professional walk away,the hassle of getting a bad repair fixed is more annoying than the original damage.

Dennis Bros
85, Douglas Rd, Hornchurch, Essex RM11 1AW Tel: 01708 749250

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
The Colonel

Z4 M roadster

Post by The Colonel »

csquire3 wrote:the hassle of getting a bad repair fixed is more annoying than the original damage.
That's a very good point.

Alan, keep a million miles away from Dagenham Motors, on the A13!

No, not a million. Think of the distance from the Sun to Pluto. Multiply it by a million, treble it, then and 29 zeros, and you'll still be too close. Just don't go there.
AlanDam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AlanDam »

The Colonel wrote:
csquire3 wrote:the hassle of getting a bad repair fixed is more annoying than the original damage.
That's a very good point.

Alan, keep a million miles away from Dagenham Motors, on the A13!

No, not a million. Think of the distance from the Sun to Pluto. Multiply it by a million, treble it, then and 29 zeros, and you'll still be too close. Just don't go there.
Did you mean keep away from I.D morris in Dagenham??
The Colonel

Z4 M roadster

Post by The Colonel »

AlanDam wrote:Did you mean keep away from I.D morris in Dagenham??
No, no, no. I. D. Morris, very good!

Dagenham Motors (as in the Ford dealers on the A13, opposite the former Princess Bowl), very bad.