Sprung a leak !! - help

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
big cheesy

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Sprung a leak !! - help

Post by big cheesy »

With all the heavy rain recently I have noticed a leak in the roof and hopefully someone can suggest a cause or fix. I have searched loads of the leak posts but not seen anything on this one. It is behind the drivers shoulder side where the roof fabric meets the body, the water seems to be building up and weeping in, hence the cloth. If that makes sense. A couple of pics attached. The roof has not that long been given the once over with BMW waterproofer and there is nothing obvious to me. Any ideas folks ? big cheesy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by AndyBass »

AFAIK there is a "gutter" attached to the bodywork behind/under the rubber seal you can see on the outside, the one that the roof compresses slightly when the tension is on. I believe it's purpose is to channel any water away that gets past the rubber seal. The idea is that the water should run down where the seal and roof meet and away but some will inevitably get past and that is what the "gutter" is for. It was fitted to models from a certain year on. This may be your problem if the outlet from this gutter is blocked. Sorry I can't be any more specific and I can't find anything on realoem to back up my theory but that's where I would start from. Good luck.
We all have a photographic memory, just some don't take the lens cap off!
big cheesy

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by big cheesy »

Thanks AndyBass, will check it out over the weekend and let you know.