Insurance and Strut Braces

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
benelvin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Insurance and Strut Braces

Post by benelvin »

Grrr.... Just been told by diamond that they won't cover me for a strut brace. I can fit lowered springs, a fat noisy exhaust, UV lights, whatever. But not a strut brace, after I explained that it wasn't any of the above.

What the hell is that about? Have I been the victim of a retarded call centre worker or have other people had this experience?
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I have never heard of that. Could be a mistake. Call them again and speak to a different retard. You may get a different answer.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
benelvin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by benelvin »

that's what i'm trying now - on hold at the mo ;) suprise!
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Good luck. It seems we have a dead heat with post count! On no I'm one ahead now :wink:
benelvin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by benelvin »

hmm the retards in wales seem to be less retarded than the ones in bangalore.

Anyway - £73. Ouch. Not sure about that!

PS. I've caught up ;)
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Seems a lot! When I was insured with Tesco the strut was no extra cost. Forgot to tell my present insurer better get on the phone myself.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Strut braces can be notoriously difficult to insure, mainly coz the numpties on the other end of the phone have no idea what you're talking about, so it's just easier for them to say "NO!".

Also, there is the belief that a side shunt at the front end will damage BOTH sides of the car, making any repair far more expensive. There are lots of threads on here about it.

Some companies don't charge, some charge an admin fee, some charge big bucks, and some just plain refuse.

Admiral used to refuse, but now charge an admin fee to add it as "Suspension - Other". About £20 I think.

Ask to speak to a senior person and try to explain that it's a safety feature because it improves the handling of the car and makes it less likely that you might lose control and crash.... Also point out that many new cars now have them fitted as a standard safety feature.

Failing that, change your insurer.

But IMHO, resist the temptation to fit one and not declare it. It could get your policy voided.

A.
benelvin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by benelvin »

Yeah - I'll sit on it for a few days and see how I feel, was kinda hoping for a 20 quid admin charge given that diamond don't seem averse to modifications.

Unfortunately changing insurer isn't an option - diamond were 50% of the cost of the next cheapest policy.
tom_deas

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tom_deas »

yeah, bell / admiral / elephant are all the same. when i declared the strut brace to my Puma, despite the fact I'm a plucky 19 year old Bell still just charged me the flat £23 admin fee, which is a pretty sweet deal.

i think all cars should come with strut braces. or manufacturers should just design their cars better to begin with. hmpf.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Personally, I think the ones who insure strut braces are the numpties.

If a car without a strut brace had a knock on one wing, only that side of the car would be affected. If you have a strut brace, the forces will be transferred to the other suspension tower, damaging the other side. Also, the strut brace may buckle up, further damaging the bonnet, or buckle down (unlikely), damaging the engine.

The argument "it makes the car safer" is a very dodgy one IMO. It suggests one of two things. Either the car is inherently unsafe, or you plan to take the car beyond its design limits.

Not that any of this matters, because if I could get one insured, I'd fit it :twisted: .
Pingu
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

In my insurance policy, it states that strut braces are not allowed because they are seen as a performance enhancement. In other words, you can take corners quicker so therefore you are more likely to have an accident etc etc ... :head:

Had a good chat with a-plan a few weeks ago, might give them a call at renewal as they had no issues with mods and were cheaper then my current one as well (churchill)
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

pingu wrote:....or you plan to take the car beyond its design limits.
Not really the point. You could legitimately find yourself 'on the limit' for whatever reason, without intention or fault, and the improved handling provided by the strut brace might make the difference between steering out of it....or not. That's why I reckon you could describe it as a safety feature.
8-)

A.
srvz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by srvz3 »

asked Sainsbury's insurance about fitting one and they said that it was not a problem as its a safety feature and just to tell them when i fitted it so as the could note it, and no charge..........e-tech strut brace arrives tomorrow.
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighfishing »

that could be good news for me as im with esure which im quite sure sainsbury's insurance are are part of, so it should be the same for me.
i've been thinking of getting an e-tech strut brace so im very interested to see what difference it makes for you. can i ask where you have ordered yours from and how much it cost.

thanks, paul.
srvz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by srvz3 »

No probs bigfishing.
ordered it from here over the phone

http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/buy-car ... ml?ref=232

cost £125 plus about £6 for post, I think these people are up in your area. ordered it last Thursday and it will arrive today so will fit it at the weekend. by the way i have recently fitted a full set of powerflex bushes and they have transformed the handling of the car, as it now rides better and feels a lot more "planted" so to speak.
Will update this thread next week after fitting the strut brace.
ZedMatt

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ZedMatt »

Out of interest, do you have to declare the powerflex bushes? Afterall they're not OEM. Just how rediculous are insurers when it comes to small changes? :dunce:
srvz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by srvz3 »

Hi Zedmatt.
dunno about that one, i sort of forgot about it as they are not too visible. how do you get on with brake discs and pads, and exhausts. a mate of mine sells brakes and says that most aftermarket brakes are made of the same material so what constitutes a "performance" brake on a road car if you are using the stock calipers and other brand pads. on a road car the most important parts of the braking system are your tyres. and now i come to mention it what about tyres??? why do insurers not bother about the make of tyre fitted to 99% of road cars, or have i just let the cat out of the bag, i could go on but i ought to do some work.
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighfishing »

thanks for the info srvz3, yes directcarparts are only about half an our away from me and i'm due a trip that way soon as my parents are moving near there but i will wait to see if the brace makes much difference for you first.
i have been thinking about doing the bushes as well but i think it will be a lot more costly and time consuming so i will try the strut brace first, did you fit the bushes yourself or pay someone to do it.
srvz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by srvz3 »

due to time constraints, ie i have very little, i decided to get them fitted by my local garage, so i guess the next question is how much. well i also had new discs and pads fitted at the same time so its a little complicated. i was quoted £150+vat to fit the set of bushes, and £60+vat to do the brakes. when finished they charged me £170 all in so i was well pleased. the strut brace arrived yesterday so it will be fitted before the 2 for 1 run with spokey a week on saturday
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighfishing »

that's a good deal, i wish all garages had calculators like yours does. hope the strut brace makes a difference, i shall wait and see.

thanks, paul.
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Deano1712 wrote:I have never heard of that. Could be a mistake. Call them again and speak to a different retard. You may get a different answer.

Mark, I am with LV and I think you are?

Did the retard there charge you any extra for having a strut brace?

I am thinking of getting one.

Cheers P :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
maxman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maxman »

I am with LV ,no extra charge for a strutt brace.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

maxman wrote:I am with LV ,no extra charge for a strutt brace.
LV were funny with me. They would allow me to continue my previous insurance, but because I've got a new job (and suddenly become a more risky driver), they wouldn't allow me to start a new policy :shock: .

When I had te Z3, Sainsbury wanted an extra £60 for a strut brace.
Pingu
tom_deas

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tom_deas »

pingu wrote:
maxman wrote:I am with LV ,no extra charge for a strutt brace.
LV were funny with me. They would allow me to continue my previous insurance, but because I've got a new job (and suddenly become a more risky driver), they wouldn't allow me to start a new policy :shock: .

When I had te Z3, Sainsbury wanted an extra £60 for a strut brace.
didnt you know? the instant you step in an office apparently you instantly feel the need to take your anger at life out by driving dangerously, right? ;)

Sainsburys are sh*t for everything. I know, back some years I worked there, was my first job. They're ignorant fools.
srvz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by srvz3 »

strut brace fitted last night, took less than 30 mins and all i can say is that if you dont have one fitted then get one, my car has been transformed, and that is no exageration.
the only critisism i would make is that the E-tech unit is a little low on quality of manufacture, discoloured welds and a few tiny dinks on the beam, but it works fantastically, and as it was made in Taiwan i suppose it has to be expected. if you want to show off your purchase then spend a little more and get the strong strut unit which does look beautiful, but the most important thing is just get one and you will not be disappointed.
tom_deas

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tom_deas »

i hold so much faith in strut braces that im going to buy one BEFORE i buy my Z3, and fit it immediately :)
Caledonian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Caledonian »

When I had the Z3, I had to change insurance companies from Esure to Adrain Flux when I had an intention of fitting a strut brace as Esure wouldn't touch it. (In the end I sold the car before I got round to it, so I can't comment on how good or otherwise it makes the handling.)

One thing to note is you had to declare on a form who fitted it and how they were qualified to do the work.
Rubber-Ducky

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rubber-Ducky »

Caledonian wrote:When I had the Z3, I had to change insurance companies from Esure to Adrain Flux when I had an intention of fitting a strut brace as Esure wouldn't touch it. (In the end I sold the car before I got round to it, so I can't comment on how good or otherwise it makes the handling.)

One thing to note is you had to declare on a form who fitted it and how they were qualified to do the work.
Qualified to fit a strut brace? Something along the lines of "I have two hands and know my ar$e from my elbow" should be sufficient to cover that one.

Seriously, what planet do these people live on?
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

srvz3

Hi

Was it the Etech BA206 strut brace for BMW Z3 6cyl that you got and where from please.

Thanks
srvz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by srvz3 »

Hi johnz3.
yes it was BA206, one of my entries above gives a link to the direct car parts website. :wink:
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighfishing »

I will be buying one soon, going to check with my insurance company (esure) first though.
srvz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by srvz3 »

the weather is pants in staffs today but had to get out in the zed just to convince myself that i was not imagining the difference the brace has made, also mrs srvz3 wanted to see what all of the fuss was about. mrs commented that the car is so much better to drive almost easier in a way because it goes where you want it to not where it wants to. i could even feel the difference the new powerflex bushes have made from the passemger seat as the car now rides so much better, good luck with the insurance muppets.
tom_deas

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tom_deas »

Rubber-Ducky wrote:
Caledonian wrote:When I had the Z3, I had to change insurance companies from Esure to Adrain Flux when I had an intention of fitting a strut brace as Esure wouldn't touch it. (In the end I sold the car before I got round to it, so I can't comment on how good or otherwise it makes the handling.)

Qualified to fit a strut brace? Something along the lines of "I have two hands and know my ar$e from my elbow" should be sufficient to cover that one.

Seriously, what planet do these people live on?

so full of sh*t. adrian flux really arent that great. the only thing they're good for is they WILL insure ANYTHING you can POSSIBLY imagine
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

Alternatively (not something I condone) fit strut, if you crash, take it off.
tom_deas

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tom_deas »

Alex L wrote:Alternatively (not something I condone) fit strut, if you crash, take it off.
heh heh heh ;)
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

Okay I might be being a little blonde here (no offence to blondes intended :D ) but how would you know that a strut brace wasn't a standard item on the car? To be honest I'd never heard of a strut brace until I came here..............I know I'm a woman and most of us don't know a great deal about the fine workings of an engine but could that be to our advantage?
Hypothetically: I buy a car on the looks not the performance and being a woman I know 'nufink' about what an engine looks like (that’s not that untrue really :wink: ) so phone for insurance, "any mods to the car madam" No I reply, well I'm not lying because I've not been made aware of any in the 1st place. :D
Or have I just had too much Shiraz and the world seems so much simpler :lol:

:D
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Sorry B, ignorance is not a defence as it would still be an undeclared mod.

There are so many mods like oversized tyres, exhausts,wheels, metal aftermarket pedals to name a few and I would imagine even these Fuel Boosters would/could be classed as a power mod.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
tom_deas

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tom_deas »

you could argue the ignorance defence, bat your eyelids, you might get away with it
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Bex....

These days, ignorance is no defence. Not knowing doesn't mean you can't be held responsible.

Sadly, the UK insurance industry is effectively unregulated, so expect no sympathy or leniancy if you 'don't understand' the intricacies of your purchase....

If you made a large claim, they would check the manufacturer's spec about everything, including a strut brace. Plus, those on Z3s would always be aftermarket anyway, but Z4s would take a little more research.

Insurance companies will try every little thing to get out of paying you...that's their job, so don't expect them to be sympathetic and understanding when you have to make a claim.

IMHO best to declare it and sleep at night.

A.
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighfishing »

srvz3 wrote:strut brace fitted last night, took less than 30 mins and all i can say is that if you dont have one fitted then get one, my car has been transformed, and that is no exageration.
the only critisism i would make is that the E-tech unit is a little low on quality of manufacture, discoloured welds and a few tiny dinks on the beam, but it works fantastically, and as it was made in Taiwan i suppose it has to be expected. if you want to show off your purchase then spend a little more and get the strong strut unit which does look beautiful, but the most important thing is just get one and you will not be disappointed.
finally got one of these etech strut braces fitted myself today and i can only back up what srvz3 says about it, it is the best £127 i have ever spent. there is no tramlining and it just glides over bumpy surfaces now and handling is much tighter, you will only notice anything on the very worst of surfaces, if you have'nt already got on then get one you wont be disappointed.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Just checked, by coincidence, the other day with Admiral about adding aftermarket alloy wheels as well as a strut brace to my insurance. Extra cost of £60 for both, in total.
Last edited by Justin Time on Sat 14 Jun, 2008 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighfishing »

i was speaking to esure the other day when swapping my insurance to a loan car for the day and thought i would ask them about the fitting of a strut brace but they didnt know what one was so i said i would ring back when i had more time to explain. i bet they would know what one was if i had an accident and put a claim in.
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

I have fitted a strut brace to both my zeds - in neither case did the premium rise. They told me there would only be an increase if the mod was something whih affected the engine in some way.

burmagirl
cowboybebop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cowboybebop »

My old insurance company wouldnt even insure me when i asked them about fitting a strut brace.... :shock:
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

That's completely mad - did you tell them it was a safety feature?

burmagirl
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighfishing »

which insurance companies are you both with.
cowboybebop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cowboybebop »

Yeah its crazy

They just classes it as a modification

my old company was bells

im now with halifax
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

Bell just charged me an additional £46 to insure my aftermarket wheels
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

I'm not at all surprised that your insurance company declined to cover you for a strut brace.

When I had an Eisenmann stainless steel exhaust fitted in September 2006, my then insurers, Zurich, flatly refused to continue insuring me, even though it was an exact replica of the original BMW system (save for slightly larger tailpipes) and did not enhance performance.

The problem is that when you ring a mainstream insurance company, it is impossible to speak to anybody with a brain. These call centre people are sat in front of a computer, and if the computer tells them that they don't accept any kind of modifications then that is the end of the story.

The insurance broker I deal through was as amazed as I was at Zurich's attitude, and managed to get me covered with Norwich Union (who, ironically, I had been with previously before being tempted by Zurich's slightly lower rates). Needless to say, Zurich have now lost all my insurance business.

Incidentally, when my cover was due for renewal I got a quote from Adrian Flux, so they obviously accept modifications although in the end I stuck with Norwich Union.

All this shows how vital it is to declare even the smallest modification, because I am sure that, if I hadn't, and I had needed to claim, Zurich would have turned round and refused to pay out if they found out about the exhaust. When I see boy racers running around in Vauxhall Corsas or some such vehicle with body kits, blacked out windows and tailpipes fashioned out of Cadbury's cocoa tins I often feel like going up to the driver and saying: "I hope you've told your insurance company about that, because if not you're effectively not covered."
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

my insurance company is Tescos - are they underwritten by Norwich Union or have I misremembered that? I had to explain (both times) what a strut brace was, & I pointed out that Z3s were known for chassis flex & the strut brace firmed the chassis up & made it safer. Once they were certain it didn't increase horsepower or anything like that, they said there was no charge. And it does appear as a modification on my policy.

burmagirl