Auto wipers?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
gina2201

Z3 roadster 1.9

Auto wipers?

Post by gina2201 »

Something I have noticed lately with all this rain is that when I switch the wipers on (as in full, not intermittent) they go intermittent by themselves when I come to a stop or slow speed. Is this normal for all Z3's? As soon as I move off again they come on properly.

Very handy but unexpected!
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

yep standard to my knowledge.

it is a nice feature
ZedMatt

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ZedMatt »

I think it's a BMW thing, used to have it on a 3er I had a while back. I love this feature and wish it were on my Vdub too!
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

They are called Speed Sensitive Wipers and I believe they were on all Zeds, although I may be wrong. I too just happened to be slowing down and resting at lights when I noticed them myself a couple of days into my Oxford Green II 2.0 Z3 ownership. It sure didn't seem to rain as much in Belfast 3 years ago. :head:
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Only in Europe do we get the intermittent wipers that change interval based on your speed.

In the US you set the interval by activating the intermittent switch twice to set the period.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
coetzejg

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by coetzejg »

Hey estocks,

In the US you set the interval by activating the intermittent switch twice to set the period.
How do you do this? I'd be interested to know as the intermittend speed is only a single speed. I'm aware that on all setttings it does slow down when you have stopped. I'd liked to know how you otherwise then set the speed on intermittend. Could you inform us please if you know?
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Hi Coetzejg....you cant change the intermittent - its only US market cars who dont get the speed sensetive wipers....SA BMW's are all euro spec...
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
coetzejg

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by coetzejg »

Great thx Rob, was hoping there'd be a way. Having had rain sensors, it's a bit of an irratance on this car.

Jaco
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

coetzejg wrote:Hey estocks,

How do you do this? I'd be interested to know as the intermittend speed is only a single speed. I'm aware that on all setttings it does slow down when you have stopped. I'd liked to know how you otherwise then set the speed on intermittend. Could you inform us please if you know?
I read it on a Ron Styger page where he retrofits the EU Wiper controller module.

Try thislink.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

The only problem I have found with this is if it is raining really hard and you come to standstill at a junction for example - the bloody wipers stop, just when you need them most!
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

If you have the Euro ones which are speed sensitive, you can also adjust the intermittent interval too.

You do this by flicking the wipers to intermittent, then to off - wait the interval you require, then switch wipers to intermittent again. The interval achievable is approximately 1 seconds to 20 seconds - I've not really measured it on mine - but I find it quite useful when the default interval is not quite right for the rain conditions
www.PCandMacIT.com

Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

I was happy with my wiper operation until I read this thread now I am apprehensive, mine seem to work perfectly either moving or stationary the only time they stop is if I leave them going when the screen is dry then the extra resistance kicks in and they stop which is what was intended.
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

And_101 wrote:If you have the Euro ones which are speed sensitive, you can also adjust the intermittent interval too.

You do this by flicking the wipers to intermittent, then to off - wait the interval you require, then switch wipers to intermittent again. The interval achievable is approximately 1 seconds to 20 seconds - I've not really measured it on mine - but I find it quite useful when the default interval is not quite right for the rain conditions

Was this ever an option on UK cars? Wasn't standard that for sure.
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

SpunkyM wrote:
And_101 wrote:If you have the Euro ones which are speed sensitive, you can also adjust the intermittent interval too.

Was this ever an option on UK cars? Wasn't standard that for sure.
Not an option just standard - not in the book though. A friend who'd owned an older 3 series told me to try it. If you've got the intermittent wipers that adjust the interval depending on your speed, then you can also adjust the interval yourself using the above method - try it...
www.PCandMacIT.com

SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Just have - doesn't work.. always about 7 secs interval when on the move.
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

SpunkyM wrote:Just have - doesn't work.. always about 7 secs interval when on the move.
Did you switch intermittent on, then as soon as the wiper starts to move, switch the control back to off - then wait the time you want, then move the control back to intermittent?
www.PCandMacIT.com

SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Maybe I wasn't quick enough switching it back off again. But certainly just switching it from intermittent to off to intermittent doesn't effect anything. No matter how long you leave it in the off position.

I'll go try it again and this time switch it off again the instant the wipers start to move...
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

:D :D :D :D :D :D You know when you've owned a car for over 4 years, and then all of a sudden you discover a new feature.... :D :D :D :D :D

IT WORKS!!!

All this time, and I never knew it could do that. As you say, no mention in the handbook. Thanks for making it known.
benelvin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by benelvin »

And_101 wrote:
SpunkyM wrote:Just have - doesn't work.. always about 7 secs interval when on the move.
Did you switch intermittent on, then as soon as the wiper starts to move, switch the control back to off - then wait the time you want, then move the control back to intermittent?
You sir, are a jedi.

I can't wait to get home and try this - wrong wiper speed really winds me up :D
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

:thumb:
www.PCandMacIT.com

Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Does this feature work on s50 ///M? As I tried this on my drive just after reading this with no luck.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Been driving my Z this week in the rain :shock: and wondered if you could adjust the interval timer.

Seems that you can so will have to try it next time :D

when you are driving in the rain:

1) switch the wipers on to intermittent position
2) the wipers will wipe the windshield once
3) switch them off
4) wait until you need to wipe the windshield again
5) switch the wiper stalk to the intermittent position again, but this time leave it on.

The time between wipes will be equal to the time you waited between turning the wipers off of intermittent operation until the time you switched it back on again (max 20 seconds)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Jonttt wrote:Been driving my Z this week in the rain :shock: and wondered if you could adjust the interval timer.

Seems that you can so will have to try it next time :D

when you are driving in the rain:

1) switch the wipers on to intermittent position
2) the wipers will wipe the windshield once
3) switch them off
4) wait until you need to wipe the windshield again
5) switch the wiper stalk to the intermittent position again, but this time leave it on.

The time between wipes will be equal to the time you waited between turning the wipers off of intermittent operation until the time you switched it back on again (max 20 seconds)
There are 2no: types of wiper modules for the Z, the older model cars do not have this function like mine :head: I do not have the change over date for the module but I beleive the newer wiper module can be retrofitted onto the older models to allow this function.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

The variable intermittent timing is standard on my wifes' 2001 Corsa C by switching on/off/on but my Passat has a seperate toggle switch on top of the wiper stalk with 3 settings of intermittent timing.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The part number for the adjustable relay is 61358369474

RealOEM say it is fitted to these Z models (ie seems all of them)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do? ... &series=Z3

BUT there are two version of the relay. One for cars fitted with the headlight washer system and one without headlight washers (part number 61358366381).

Its not clear if the other relay has the adjustable feature but that may explain why some people can adjust and others can't ie depends on whether you have headlight washers or not?

Perhaps someone without headlight washers can confirm ?
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Intermittant wipe

Post by Brian H »

I can confirm that I do not have this feature on my feb 98 built Z, I recently looked at this for a possible upgrade.