Chrome Pedals

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Chrome Pedals

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

Just a quick one before I start the turkey in urnest lol :P

Looking at adding either the M-tec or AC pedal set but just wondered are the existing pedals ie brake and clutch metal with rubber covers or all rubber, sorry I haven't checked lol. I'm just thinking for drilling them as I only have a ginormous Masonary/hammer drill and was thinking of buying a small rechargeable drill to do the job and would make it less fiddely, would this be OK to drill the pedals if they are metal?

Thanks for any advice,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Pedals

Post by Guest »

Peel off the rubbers, and yoiu will find the brake to be steel, and the clutch a plastic/resin casting.

Use a Black & Decker 'bullet nose' drill (from B&Q) as they do not wander on the curved surface.

Don't forget to inform your insurer, as they will be interested in the safety aspect - do the metal pads have rubber inserts, how are they secured, etc.

It's not nit-picking, as accidents have been caused by badly-fitted pedal pads coming loose and swivelling around, and also by pads without any anti-slip rubber inserts.

The people who sell such cosmetic toys never tell customers this sort of thing, but after an accident things are different.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Pedals

Post by TitanTim »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Peel off the rubbers, and yoiu will find the brake to be steel, and the clutch a plastic/resin casting.

Use a Black & Decker 'bullet nose' drill (from B&Q) as they do not wander on the curved surface.

Don't forget to inform your insurer, as they will be interested in the safety aspect - do the metal pads have rubber inserts, how are they secured, etc.

It's not nit-picking, as accidents have been caused by badly-fitted pedal pads coming loose and swivelling around, and also by pads without any anti-slip rubber inserts.

The people who sell such cosmetic toys never tell customers this sort of thing, but after an accident things are different.
Mike,

Thanks very much for the advice, the replacement pads have have the correct rubber inserts as opposed to my VXR which are all metal :shock: these can be a little slippy when wet sometimes which doesn't install confidence.

Will certainly have a look at the Black and Decker drill so thanks for the pointer, I didn't want anything too cumbersome as its not the easiest job too do with a large drill.

Cheers,

Tim.
ROBBELL

Z3 roadster 2.0

chrome pedals

Post by ROBBELL »

HI Tim
I also had some ACS pedals for xmas, had a quick look at fitting brake pedal but at first glance it looks like the pedal is smaller than the new ACS pedal, did you manage to fix yours OK ?

Robin
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: chrome pedals

Post by TitanTim »

ROBBELL wrote:HI Tim
I also had some ACS pedals for xmas, had a quick look at fitting brake pedal but at first glance it looks like the pedal is smaller than the new ACS pedal, did you manage to fix yours OK ?

Robin
Hi Robin,

I haven't bought mine as yet, I still don't know if to go for the AC or M pedals :roll: I'm sure I have heard on here before that the AC pedals are over large but not a problem. I did a quick search on here but couldn't find where it was mentioned :roll: If I find it will let you know.

Cheers,

Tim.