Exhaust smoke?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Exhaust smoke?

Post by TAV »

Noticed over the past few weeks alot of white smoke coming from my exhaust, particularly at night as I pull away with a car behind with it headlights on. I realise its cold and this is normal, but there does seem to be quite a bit of it. (At least it looks that way from the passenger door mirror)

I have to admit, the car is used daily for a 2.5 mile journey to work and back again, + 3 times a week to the gym and back (same mileage).

I noticed the smell from the exhaust smelt slightly of petrol. Seems to a quite thirsty as well. Am getting about 50 miles on £10 (although all on short journeys)

Its had FSH, and had the oil changed about 2 months back. Done 73,000mls and has been pretty much good as gold so far.

Does this signify a problem, or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks in advance.
Z3 1.9 Facelift / Atlanta Blue

Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

I think your worrying over nothing.Sounds very normal this time of year. When dark and looking in the rear view mirror it always looks worse in particular when lit up by the following cars headlights,and for short runs the fuel consumption sounds about right.
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Probably a good idea to take the car out for a good run at least once a week though...2.5 miles a timewouldn't allow proper heating up etc.
TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TAV »

Thanks guys. Think you are probably right. Have noticed other cars doing the same (probably only been running a few minutes too)

One of my friends said give it a good 20 mile run now and again to blow out all the cobwebs :D

Never really done a long journey since i got it, so makes sense.
Z3 1.9 Facelift / Atlanta Blue

Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

It's not really the distance travelled that counts, it's getting the engine up to full running temperature, and then giving it some 'stick' to clear out the carbon and other deposits.
The oil needs to be up to temperature - I'm not sure if the 1.9 has an oil temperature gauge (the second most important gauge!), but 10 minutes of normal running will be enough.
Pull in somewhere where there are no neighbours and run the engine at 6,000rpm for a minute or two.
Once a month will liven the response and keep the engine in good order.