Driving in the snow

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
PhilB

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Driving in the snow

Post by PhilB »

Just driven home on a thin layer of icy snow - first time out in slippery conditons since I got the car.

Was expecting light weight, rear drive and wideish tyres to feel pretty slidey(?) but it felt very secure. Looks like it will be fun when I've got more confidence in it :) :)
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Leave it in the garage - Zs are not designed for the snow. All rear wheel drive cars are awful in the snow particularly high powered ones.
If you must go out take great care.
I'm sure the other guys will agree ---------------------
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well I've just driven mine home in the snow - three hours up the ruddy motorway - but it hadn't really settled on the carriageway. I was more concerned about the ahole tailgating me in a blizzard as if I had had to brake hard he wouldn't have had a hope in hell of stopping.

There was a bit of fresh snow on my street, but it wasn't deep enough to bother the car. I have driven it on much deeper fresh snow and it was an interesting experience to say the least and not one I would like to repeat if I can help it.

My only problem is that if I do have to go out in the snow, my other car is also rear wheel drive and a lot lighter, so the zed does occasionally see the white stuff.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

No choice for me.The wife has the Voyager and my car's the Zed.So if it snows it'll be fingers crossed.
Still it's gotta be better than last year when I rode my Kwak ZX9r right through everyday the worst winter in 10years. :?
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Keep to high a gear as possible...and everything in slow motion....agree with RobertT it's the other drivers you need to watch out for.....
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Keep to high a gear as possible...and everything in slow motion....agree with RobertT it's the other drivers you need to watch out for.....
FreddyK

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by FreddyK »

I've just driven the Z3 in the snow to work. Very slippery indeed.

It's amazing how much the ASC light came on. Simply releasing the clutch made the dash look like a flickering christmas tree. And although the rear slightly broke away every time the lights turned green, it was easy to compensate.
Overall the car felt secure enough in the snow (when handled by a responsible driver that is 8-) ).
Freddy

estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Phil wrote:Leave it in the garage - Zs are not designed for the snow. All rear wheel drive cars are awful in the snow particularly high powered ones.
If you must go out take great care.
I'm sure the other guys will agree ---------------------
Absolutely. Be very gentle on the pedels, or quick-as-a-flash you could find yourself facing the wrong way or worse.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Gio

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gio »

My Z'd is my daily car so have no choice than to to drive in the snow :| , but will be taking it very carefully, so should everyone else, as all the above comments apply to any car.

Well apart from the Saab 900 which I used to own, which was unbelievable in the snow.
I was able to plough straight up the outer lane of the Bristol Road (in Birmingham) which was covered in half a foot of snow that everyone else had stayed out of.
I've never got home so fast in rush hour traffic. :)
ImageImage
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Gio wrote:My Z'd is my daily car so have no choice than to to drive in the snow :| , but will be taking it very carefully, so should everyone else, as all the above comments apply to any car.

Well apart from the Saab 900 which I used to own, which was unbelievable in the snow.
I was able to plough straight up the outer lane of the Bristol Road (in Birmingham) which was covered in half a foot of snow that everyone else had stayed out of.
I've never got home so fast in rush hour traffic. :)
I ran SAABs for 20 years (pre GM variety),and they could certainly deal with any weather.Even current FWD offerings aren't as stable in snow and ice as the old SAABs and they were pre ASC. :shock:

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
dooby

M roadster S50

Post by dooby »

We had about 6" of snow where i am in Essex. dug the car out. But couldn't even reverse off the drive !!! .. Strange thing is my dads 3 series was fine.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

well i couldnt even get in my car this morning, all locks were frozen solid. couldnt get key n at first, then when i could they wouldnt turn so gave up. couldnt suss it with a hangover lol
Arctic Silver 1997 (r) 1.9 z3
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

This morning my Z was covered in 7 inches of snow.. Doors opened, started as normal. Brilliant car..

I decided being brave that I would use the back roads to avoid the "c0cks" on the motorway and it was the best fun I have had in a car since I was 17 with a new girlfriend ! Not one other car on the road, fresh snow, lots of sweeping corners.

I must say that the DSC in the Z is the best I have ever known. It let the car go to about 15 degrees, but no matter what I did it wouldnt go further. With it off though it was a little more hairy than Hagrid.

Who says Z's are a summer car. . Jealous people thats who ! 8-) :P
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

_wendy_ wrote:well i couldnt even get in my car this morning, all locks were frozen solid. couldnt get key n at first, then when i could they wouldnt turn so gave up. couldnt suss it with a hangover lol
I had this with my petrol filler cap a while back - couldn't get the key in at first and even lock deicer wouldn't shift it properly - I gave up and filled the car up later in the day. Did your central locking not operate on the remote? I would have thought that would still work if only the lock barrel was frozen.

Cheers R.
Gio

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gio »

_wendy_ wrote:well i couldnt even get in my car this morning, all locks were frozen solid. couldnt get key n at first, then when i could they wouldnt turn so gave up. couldnt suss it with a hangover lol
Had no problem getting into mine this morning. Oh hang on we had no snow, that might explain it :)
I'm actually quite jealous, was looking forward to some fun driving in the snow :lol:
ImageImage
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

i dont have a remote for my car. all done by key. we hardly had any snow but it was wet and very icy, guess the water had got in and frozen. was annoying cos it was all locks - both doors and boot.

even more annoying cos our other had already been given up on as it doesnt seem to like starting in cold weather anymore. so we have 2 cars and couldnt use either
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

skeete wrote:.............. avoid the "c0cks" on the motorway and it was the best fun I have had in a car since I was 17 with a new girlfriend ................. it was a little more hairy than Hagrid
Have I read this correctly ? :devil:
Image :devil:
pianoman3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by pianoman3 »

As I've only had my Z for 5 weeks I didn't really want to take it out in the snow, and left it 'tucked up' in the garage, my kids (adults really!!) reckon it's looked after better than them!! From what I've seen in previous snows the rear wheel drive cars seem to have problems particularly on any sort of hill, so I didn't think with wide tyres it would perform very well. In some ways I'd have been interested to see how it would have performed, but the real problem is all the other cars on the road that might slide into you!, so I shall be begging to use the good lady's Kia Picanto if the snow continues!
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

Titan wrote:
skeete wrote:.............. avoid the "c0cks" on the motorway and it was the best fun I have had in a car since I was 17 with a new girlfriend ................. it was a little more hairy than Hagrid
Have I read this correctly ? :devil:
I reserve comment....
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

I've driven mine through every Ohio (USA) winter since 11/00 (this being its 10th winter season). As a result of having fitted dedicated snowtires/wheels (225/50 x 16), it steers and stops better than any of the AWD vehicles that my wife has driven through the same conditions: 02 X5 4.4, 05 X5 4.4 and her current 535xi. All three (3) of those vehicles were fitted with "all season" tires, not summer or winter specific types.

I do however, carry additional ballast in the trunk; one (1) or two (2) fifty-pound (50#) bags of whole corn (I use it to feed the ducks in my creek).

Snowtires and hardtop, will travel...

_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

my locks were still frozen solid this morning, hubby wanted to use car :? as his wont start, so he managed to get into car by using hot water. does anyone have one of those heated lock deicers that you keep on keyring? just wondered what they were like? not had a car where ive had to use key for few years so not had this prob
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

On US spec cars, if you partially lift the outside door handle, it energizes a heating element in the lock, and after a few seconds, it's thawed enough to insert the key and unlock.

Check your owner's manual, as that may be a feature on your car too.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

just looked through manual and cant see any reference to this. just tells you not to use deicer in locks if frozen as acts as degreaser
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The real reason why Randy strengthened his boot floor :lol: ...
Randy_Forbes wrote:I do however, carry additional ballast in the trunk; one (1) or two (2) fifty-pound (50#) bags of whole corn.

I had some real fun in Leicester with the snow. My van wouldn't start so I was doing multi-drop in the Smart car. Yee-haa :D .
Pingu
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Absolutely hate driving in the snow, to me its not fun so will always leave the cars at home when possible. Most people just drive too fast and haven't a clue so don't really fancy some bonehead rear ending me unecessarily. Glad it didn't snow lat night as it was forecast :)

Roll on the summer :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Lived in Switzerland for over nine years and drove a 325 convertible and a 525 touring all the year round. My son was at school in the Alps. We used to visit him every month and in the winter, despite heavy snow, both cars had no problems in getting up and down the mountains. The trick, steel wheels, snow tyres, not with studs, and a good set of chains. The wheels were put on at the beginning of every winter. If I was a bit late the normal alloys and P6000’s made driving in the snow virtually impossible.

With the Z’s, I am sure they would be fine in the snow with the correct wheels and tyres. However, the frequency of snow in this country means that it is not a financially viable proposition. Therefore in the bad weather they stay in the garage. I do still have the steel wheels and snow tyres for the 530 touring and those are great in the winter, even in the dry. If things really get bad then chains enable me to move even when four wheeled drive vehicles can get stuck. My main concern is other cars travelling too quickly, too close on the wrong tyres.

Roll on the spring for some top down driving.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

if you get stuck turn off the ASC.. worked for me when I could not get up the hill into the village.
Last edited by muppet on Sun 27 Dec, 2009 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I got stuck going backwards off my parents drive. :dunce:

Have been braving 8 inches of snow up here in the Lakes - my zed is managing better than my Dad's 1er on its low profiles. Have had the traction control light blinking like a Christmas tree at times, but it has mainly been absolutely fine. Most roads are clear up here now and have ventured out up to Ambleside in search on an internet connection - need my fix of ZR. :lol:

A few tips - be very gentle in reverse and set off in 2nd or even 3rd to avoid wheelspin - and brake like a fairy, as the ABS on the zed is quite sensitive.

Cheers R.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Robert T wrote: Have been braving 8 inches of snow up here in the Lakes - my zed is managing better than my Dad's 1er on its low profiles. Have had the traction control light blinking like a Christmas tree at times,
8 inches .. soft southerners.. we have had over a foot and as I said turn off the traction control when it gets bad and rely on your own senses.. remember to turn off the radio and even open the window so you can hear what is happening
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
danieltharris

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by danieltharris »

Mine has been fine on the icy roads, as long as i've been taking it easy.

With actual snow on the roads it's a little different, but safe enough for short, essential drives. It's my only car anyway so I have no choice to take another.

Mines only 1.9 M44 so the power isn't much of a concern, I don't have ASC+T in mine. Just good o'l ABS for stopping lol.
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

pingu wrote:The real reason why Randy strengthened his boot floor :lol: ...
Randy_Forbes wrote:I do however, carry additional ballast in the trunk; one (1) or two (2) fifty-pound (50#) bags of whole corn.
[__blush __] ;)
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

danieltharris wrote:Mine has been fine on the icy roads, as long as i've been taking it easy.

With actual snow on the roads it's a little different, but safe enough for short, essential drives. It's my only car anyway so I have no choice to take another.

Mines only 1.9 M44 so the power isn't much of a concern, I don't have ASC+T in mine. Just good o'l ABS for stopping lol.
Funny, but I'd prefer the snow, as opposed to the ice.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There was still ice an inch thick on my parents street at lunchtime today. I got the hang of getting the car out onto it over the last few days and it is really just a case of keeping it moving until the front of the car is also onto the street, then just set off in second being gentle on the clutch - no drama, no wheelspin, no problem! :D

I popped into the local BMW dealer from some more screenwash as I get through gallons of it driving on the mway - their forecourt was like a skating rink. Not the best place to do a skating on ice impersonation with lots of expensive motors to crash into. :shock:

Just got home now and there is hardly any snow or ice left here now. Will have to wait and see if the snow that was forecast makes it this far north, but the midlands looked like they were going to get another coating.

Cheers R.
PhilB

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by PhilB »

I agree about rather being on snow - the polished ice we've got on village roads plus a bit of rain is pretty slick.

So overall what we seem to be saying is that sensibly driven the zeds are surprisingly good in the snow - and a bit of fun too when things are quiet :)