New exhaust needed. What's best?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

New exhaust needed. What's best?

Post by rayboy »

The time has come to replace the exhaust back box on the zed (1998 1.9).
What's the best replacement in zedder's opinions?
Don't want boy racer noise but a nice burble would be nice!

Thanks for any advice.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Exhaust

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It depends on what you mean by a 'Nice burble!' It depends on your taste. My hearing is damaged enough already!

The best (rear silencer - which I presume is what you want) is without doubt by Eisenmann, but at a current price of £650 it is expensive. Cheaper types, such as Scorpion, are about £450. Eisenmann are built like the proverbial brick toilet, and fit perfectly, which is more than can be said for a lot of after-market silencers.

I am now fitting a complate 3 litre exhaust system, and selling my Eisenmann, as I prefer silence - I will be putting it in the Stock Exchange forum next week, for £250, collected from Worcester. It has straight-cut 76 mm tailpipes.

The information plate states that it is suitable for the 1.9 and 2.8 Z3, being made to fit over a 60 mm exhaust pipe.

The 1.9 (according to some people) has a 55 mm pipe, which would require a reduction pipe - a piece of 60 mm pipe with a 2 mm wall thickness) which would be easy enough to get hold of.
PooBear

blank.gif

Post by PooBear »

This is my supersprint exhaust, has a nice quite tick over and quite ride, but when you pull it through the rev range it sounds amazing.

If you want I will try and get a recording sometime.

Al
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

I'm seriously contemplating swapping my backbox as it's about due, fairly rusted underneath and blowing slightly.

Anyone had any experience with Exhausts UK's Z3 direct fit which I believe is 'Cobra Sport' ?
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

Thanks chaps
Supersprint looks nice. Is there one on youtube to listen to?
How much are these and who stocks them?
Thanks again
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

Found Supersprint's website. Comes in around £500 including flange.
Anybody know any good deals anywhere?
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Hayward and Scott did a great job for me. They custom make and fit whatever you want and are significantly cheaper than the top name brands.

They're in Chelmsford, so a bit of a trek, but the right side of London.

Do a search on here and check out their website.

A.
PooBear

blank.gif

Post by PooBear »

rayboy wrote:Found Supersprint's website. Comes in around £500 including flange.
Anybody know any good deals anywhere?
I got mine from Demon Tweeks a few years ago for about £400 +VAT

Al
PooBear

blank.gif

Post by PooBear »

rayboy wrote:Thanks chaps
Supersprint looks nice. Is there one on youtube to listen to?
How much are these and who stocks them?
Thanks again
Without recording it this Europen motor with one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A82m66Gom0M
flames247

M roadster S50

Post by flames247 »

Get a custom one built - cheaper that buying an 'off the shelf job' and you can choose the noise you want & what style of exhaust tip's you want.. Race - Mid-Sport - quite are the sound options. Fully stainless steel with lifetime guarantee. And made in the UK!

www.mijexhaust.com

Had a quad system custom made for £500 looks & sounds awesome.

Regards,

Adam
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

The one on youtube sounds about right. Thanks for the link.

R
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

YouTube

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The problem with sound clips on YouTube etc is that there is not datum for the noise level - if you keep the volume turned down it may sound acceptable, but judging from the predominance of low frequency noise, this is just another noisey system for deaf enthusiasts.

In fact, it sounds like my Eisenmann 'silencer!' It all depends on what you want.
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Standard 1.9 exhaust from GSF is fine (was approx £225) www.gsfcarparts.com/
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Back in the old days i had a Remus backbox/system. very good quality and nice sound.
Still modifying
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

Well folks I went ahead and got a back box made up by Powerflow in Norwich. Watched it being built and fitted. Build quality brilliant,looks fantastic BUT for me it's too noisy :0(
I probably should have known better as it's basically a straight through system all be it their "quietest".
So with less than a week on the car it's coming off and being replaced by a standard back section.
Anyone interested in a stainless twin pipe back box for a 1.9 around £150? Cost £290!
Will post pics if anyone interested.
Sadder but wiser

R
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

markrnorton wrote:Back in the old days i had a Remus backbox/system. very good quality and nice sound.
i totally agree with you Mark. your old one sounds great on mine and looks the part too. :wink:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

rayboy wrote:Well folks I went ahead and got a back box made up by Powerflow in Norwich. Watched it being built and fitted. Build quality brilliant,looks fantastic BUT for me it's too noisy :0(
I probably should have known better as it's basically a straight through system all be it their "quietest".
So with less than a week on the car it's coming off and being replaced by a standard back section.
Anyone interested in a stainless twin pipe back box for a 1.9 around £150? Cost £290!
Will post pics if anyone interested.
Sadder but wiser

R
Powerflow in Norwich is that SCA Race and Rally ?
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

rayboy wrote:Well folks I went ahead and got a back box made up by Powerflow in Norwich. Watched it being built and fitted. Build quality brilliant,looks fantastic BUT for me it's too noisy :0(
R
I am quite surprised that they were unable to make something quieter for you. I had a cat - back Powerflow system fitted to my MGZS 180 a few years ago. The suppliers asked me how I wanted it to sound and I told them that I didn't want it any louder than standard.

When I picked the car up, it was excellent. The exhaust was a little deeper than standard, but no louder.

Would it be worth asking them if they can do something with it, maybe by extending it to the cat, to make it quieter? Having already spent as much as you have, your combined loss on the Powerflow together with the cost of something else, may make the question wothwhile.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
allenmnmn

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by allenmnmn »

Hi, I had a powerflow exhaust fitted just after xmas, it is louder than standard, but quite acceptable (doesnt wake the neighbours up when I am on earlys) and looking at it its cat back with twin boxes, maybe worth taking it back and asking them to fit a second box, oh and mine was £300 fitted. HTH
Allenmnmn
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

Noise is a subjective issue. One man's meat etc.
The main problem is that at average cruising speed say 55 - 60 it "drones" and to my ears spoils the zed driving experience i.e smooth and relaxing progress.
The fitter installed a restricter to try to solve the problem and now it sounds more like a Midget or Sprite at idle and during acceleration. Nothing wrong with Spridgets by the way but not right on a zed in my opinion.
Powerflow say they've done all they can and they don't consider it too noisy.
I thought the customer's opinion was the important one but so far this is not the case. I have had a better response from their head office and am awaiting a decision from them that will please everybody involved.

As I said if anyone wants a bit more rumble for their roadster then I've got just what they need. :pc