How much do you like your Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: How much do you like your Z3

Post by Bertie »

My Z 3 3.0i is the culmination of a lifetime's obsession with older cars . Morris Minor tourer , MG B , two ground up rebuilds 1947 Singer 4 A B ,
1949 Rover P3, Rover P6 B V 8 [a silly little car full of complex engineering solutions to non existent " problems" ]
1962 E type Jaguar , a real heart breaker and bottomless money pit
1973 Jensen Interceptor 11, The Black Country's answer to Aston Martin. A gorgeous Brick Outhouse of a car , huge Chrysler V 8 with a 12 mpg thirst if you enjoyed the performance !
1979 Fiat 124S convertible ,the car which MG should have built.
Now I have a 2001 Z 3.0 i ,[ Buggerlugs } bought from the the original owner with 200,000 km; mostly highway miles on it , with a file of bills going back to purchase .
A three hour pre purchase inspection showed no problems, the garage freed the driver's seat which was stuck in the fully raised position.
I marveled at the super clean underside with NO oil leaks , and bought it for a little more than the Fiat sold for .
My wife gave it the ultimate complement , " Just like a two seat convertible Jensen !"
Older son said " 3 litre Beemer , they'll have your licence in no time " younger son wondered why "Any one would need A/C in a convertible ?"
I think it's a classic in waiting ,handsome from all angles,sons both declare it to be " the ultimate chick magnet" , well engineered [ 48 fuses and counting , eat your heart out Joe Lucas } , fast, luxurious , goes like clappers and corners like I dunno what ,power top which is storm proof,etc etc
I could bore for Canada talking about this car
I do have a few gripes
The rear view mirror is too big , the interior is like a black bag , pathetic instruments ,non adjustable steering wheel ,only Germans could design leather seats which look as if they were made from Russian PVC .
This one is a keeper !
Cheers
Bertie
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I love mine :D

Started off with a 2.8 back in 2005 and then changed to a S54 M Roadster in 2006, still got that car and no thoughts of parting with it :D :D :D :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
DanHolman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DanHolman »

Post removed for breaking forum rules on acceptable content. Any form of abuse or derogatory comments aimed at any part of society will not be tollerated.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi Dan. I am afraid that is you that got it wrong - not the Z3's fault at all.

I very reluctantly sold my W plate 67,000 miles 2.0 litre Z3 Auto in Topaz Blue Metallic because of the difficulty in getting out (prosthetic left knee -when some ******** or other did not leave me room to get in after parking up and pissing-off).
I would have another one tomorrow.
The car was immaculate and was sold to the first guy that saw it.
Very tall drivers would/could suffer with banging their knees on the steering wheel - at 4'10" I did not have an issue.
Driving the car and using the manual side of the auto box could produce as much fun and clothing 'skid marks' as required.
The Mohair manual roof on my car never leaked and it had seen many miles of atrocious weather,the only real 'let-down was the rear window which was extremely prone to crazing even though the BMW blanket was correctly used every time the roof was lowered.

Yes the greatest shame was that the steering column was only adjustable for reach and not for reach & rake.

Never once did I feel that I was 'sitting on' the Z3 - possibly because of my shorter stature;never once did the car feel unstable or that I was in danger of being tipped out.

I was running my Z3 on the BMW Z3 staggered with appropriate rubber - not elastic bands.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.