Bodybrace warning

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Bodybrace warning

Post by domross »

Just thought I'd mention....have a butt-strut and body brace fitted to my Z3 which does improve handling fantastically...as others have mentioned you do get the occasional bum clenching grounding of the body brace...have just been crawling under the car (as you do) and noticed that in a few places the underseal has been scraped off where the brace runs along the floor pan,so out with the waxoyl....just to warn others that this can happen cos the last thing you want is the shell to merrily rot away under the brace.... :head:
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

well worthwhile warning :wink:
is there anyway of protecting the underside from it?
the badness makes me do it...!

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Clearance

Post by Mike Fishwick »

My Body Brace has a small gap between it and the body - perhaps you need to add a washer to lower the Butt Strut a shade.

Don't worry about the smal gap, as the Body Brace's main function is not be stop the car from bending in the vertical plane, but to stop the rear suspension crossmember mounting studs from being bent backwards and forwards under cornering loads by connecting them to the 'X' brace under the engine.

This prevents the rear wheels from 'steering' in response to cornering loads.

Even if the Body Brace does ground a few times, it may be saving the floor pan from doing the same . . .
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Thanks Mike...I'll have a look at that....even with the grounding wouldn't be without the bodybrace as it makes such a difference.