Brake Fluid Level Warning Light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mint

blank

Brake Fluid Level Warning Light

Post by Mint »

Hi All, just got my Zed back on the road after her winter lay off and have a couple of problems. The battery was completely flat so I dont know whether the problems have been caused by that.
1. The brake fluid level warning light is permanently on - I have checked the level and the reservoir is full.
2. The ASC+T light is permanently on.
There was no problem when I parked up.
Having looked on the Z3 knowledgebase it seems the ASC problem seems to be the wheel sensor(s) so I will look at these at the weekend but has anyone got any ideas about the brake fluid level light?
Thanks Dave
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Brake Fluid Level Warning Light

Post by Bench »

I would suggest before you do anyhting you take it for a drive. Some times these lights wheel just go off once the car is up to speed.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Thanks for your suggestion Bench, taken her out but light is still on.
ABS is working ok but not the ASC+T (I can spin the back wheels).
Upon looking in more detail the brake level warning light comes on yellow with the ignition on for 1 second, then turns red for 1 second, then back to yellow and then stays on all the time. Checked the master cylinder again, fluid right to the top. I'm baffled :(
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Check the contacts the connector on top of the brake fluid reservoir - a squirt of WD40 may help if they are damp. If no joy, then remove the cap and check that the float is operating freely.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Thanks for the advice Richard. Unfortunately there is a filter right in the neck of the reservoir which does not want to come out so I cant check the float switch. However if I disconnect the lead the warning light stays red so I guess the float switch is working as when it is connected the light turns yellow. I may have to get an indy to have a look at the fault codes for me...
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

EDIT

After reading again I suggest you check brake ware sensors and also switch. Had something very similar to mine and although the ware sensors were connected it still showed an orange light. New sensor corrected issue.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Cheers Bench, I'll have a check of the brake wear sensor as well. Thanks again.
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Update

I spoke to the local stealer to see how much it would cost to read the fault codes for me (£45) but he advised to run the car for a few miles first. So today after getting her back from the repairers (see my other thread 'Rear Damage') and the rain had stopped I decided to go for a run. The lights were still on at the beginning but after about 30 miles I suddenly noticed they had gone out :D

Bench - you were right, thanks

I could not get the front sensors out, they were really tight. With an extension on the allen key, the head of the bolt was moving but the threads were not, even after copious amounts of WD40. I never got round to looking at the rear :(

Still doesn't explain the brake level warning light...

I'm a happy bunny again :D