new MAF

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

new MAF

Post by cosmosblack »

I have unplugged my MAF and it seems to be running fine so i have started to look on ebay their are some second hand ones, siemens are these ok?? and is it a case of taking the old one of and putting the new one on D.I.Y??? cheers :)
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: new MAF

Post by BonBon »

It is trivial to swap - but beware - I purchased an aftermarket MAF on ebay that did not work. (It was replaced by the vendor)
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

was yours a siemens? where did you get yours fromo in the end and how much did you end up paying., i have seen 2 on eurocarparts, one for 99 ish and one for 200 ish what would be the difference cheers
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Don't remember - It was a cheap POS (not Seimens or Bosch)
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

do you think i would be ok with a siemens its only £20 second hand,
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

worth a shot
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Bosch probably make the one you saw for £200 +. Bosch MAFs have a strong reputation for quality, the one for my M44 costs significantly more than £200. MAFs are one of the more expensive sensors in the car. In my view, a secondhand one from a decent maker is better than a cheap unbranded one made somewhere in the far east. You can also try cleaning MAFs with something like Halfords Electrical Contact Cleaner which costs around £4. I keep 2 Bosch MAFs, one in use (one bought secondhand for £15 as a spare). I've cleaned both with the above and they both work perfectly.

Changing your air filter regularly with a good quality OEM standard one with also help to prolong the life of your MAF. No point in caring for the MAF if a load of contamination is being sucked past it.
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

I thought the 2.0 were seimens MAF as standard. Aslong as the numbers match up it should be fine.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

Update : my mums car broke down so called the AA out today while he was here i thought i would be cheeky and ask if i could borrow a torx scredriver thingy to get my MAF of so he came over to the car and pointed what i wanted doing and he said that is the TPS, and thats what i had disconnected, so it wasnt the MAF after all, i didnt know the TPS would make the problems i was having :P
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

A little knowledge can be dangerous! Buy a book and read it!

It may be worth having the TPS adjustment checked, rather than replacing it in the hope that it will make things better.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

Wow Mike you have been very negative on a few threads that i have just read...all that French plonk giving you a bad head?

Give some people a break!!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I'm not 'negative,' just trying to be realistic with this problem, but if someone does not know which bit of the car is which, he should find out before spending his money trying out other people's guesses. To say otherwise would be to do him a disservice - is there any other way to say it? A check on TPS position would be a lot more useful to him than buying a new one just to satisfy a guess - and it would still have to be set up properly anway.

The gent who seemed to lack the courage to clean the grit of his engine - well, the answer could have to have told him that it was a silly question . . . and you know the answer to that!

As for le vin, I haven't had any for a few weeks now, having built up an intolerance to French wine - German wine is far better!

Maybe I should takle a course in pleasant waffle . . .
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The gent who seemed to lack the courage to clean the grit of his engine - well, the answer could have to have told him that it was a silly question . . . and you know the answer to that!
For the record, I have absolutely no issue with cleaning anything, I was simply wondering if it was normal for that much to build up on top of the engine when that seemed to be the only place it was gathering.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I too have noticed an increasing lack of tolerance and sharpness.
If everyone was an 'expert' we wouldn't need a forum, and people wouldn't need to ask for advice.

Maybe we should have a sticky for general Z3 problems, it just needs to say..... "buy a book" :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
mfckeith

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfckeith »

[quote="Mike Fishwick"]A little knowledge can be dangerous! Buy a book and read it!

It may be worth having the TPS adjustment checked, rather than replacing it in the hope that it will make things better.[/

some people seem to have an opinion on every subject and come across as a bit of a know it all :roll:
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

new MAF

Post by g8jka »

gookah wrote:Maybe we should have a sticky for general Z3 problems, it just needs to say..... "buy a book" :D
I'm stuck on which book to buy though anyone have any opinions? Or should I know the answer to this already ;-)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

At the risk of being branded as a 'Know It All' by certain twisted people, have a look at the Haynes E36 manual - it is not very good (like all of these books) but will at least give you an idea of where the various components are. Do not buy the Bentley manual, which is a waste of space!
mfckeith

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfckeith »

far from being twisted i find it amusing that someone can think his opinion is always more valid than others. eg; don't buy the Bentley manual it's rubbish.I expect sales of this book will now plummet after the oracle has spoken
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

wierd i mentioned this on a another thread recently regarding the same person. He knows more as he lives in France and has nothing to do??
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Mike Fishwick wrote:At the risk of being branded as a 'Know It All' by certain twisted people, have a look at the Haynes E36 manual - it is not very good (like all of these books) but will at least give you an idea of where the various components are. Do not buy the Bentley manual, which is a waste of space!
So you recommend we should read a book first.... that is rubbish according to you ??

I'm lost here :dunce:
Still modifying
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

If you can get a Bentley book second hand and at a low price, I think it is worth it but certainly not at full price. Mine was cheap and I've found it useful in some cases and useless in others. Like most manuals, it has errors but at least it is so thick that you can use it to chock a wheel when jacking up the car. Bear in mind that it is an American publication and the 2.0 wasn't sold there so there is no mention of it in the book and you have to work round things using 2.8 information. I haven't tried the Haynes manual but I think it is a lot cheaper and they used to be very good (at least for a Twin Cam MGA).