Trouble resetting airbag light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Trouble resetting airbag light

Post by baretto »

I have the airbag light on the dashboard. I have bought a SRS reset tool, but I cannot clear the light. The fault code I am getting is code 02,04 Firing circuit, drivers airbag. Does anybody know how I can fix this without taking it to the dealer?
Thanks
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Trouble resetting airbag light

Post by Bench »

unfortunately it will only reset the light, if the fault is still there it will trigger again.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

Any idea how to fix the fault - Firing circuit driver side airbag?
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Best you can do is check carefully all the wiring and particularly the connectors. If need be, unplug them (ignition off first!) and clean the connectors with a contact cleaner which you can get from Maplins or most likely Amazon/Ebay. Then clear the error code and cross your fingers. :) I've got to do a very similar job on my daughter's Mini as she was quoted nearly £400 for a new airbag by the main dealer: I found out that after they reset it the light didn't come back on until the next day, which IMHO a faulty airbag would trigger the error straightaway.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, I'm looking at the Mini on Sunday afternoon if it's not raining too hard.
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

Yesterday I removed the airbag and checked all the connections and they are all fine. I used some contact cleaner on the connections as well as unplugging and cleaning all the connectors under the seats. The light still won't reset.
I think it may be the clock spring behind the steering wheel but I didn't have the confidence to remove that.
I think the airbag light on is now a MOT failure and mine is due next month!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I was told by my tester this week that he had a VOSA visit and the air bag light is NOTto be tested.

But, if it is on, it may be a fail. I know this is hypocritical, but if the light is not on, the car won't fail - so if I were an unscrupulous owner I would remove the bulb for the MOT.

Airbag systems are not being tested because it is easy to link the bulb to a timer circuit and fool the MOT tester.
Pingu
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

What was the final diagnosis?
I have the same problem since yesterday and the indy told me it is the slip ring.
Is he right?