water where it shouldn't be

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

water where it shouldn't be

Post by rayboy »

Hi all

I have water in me zed! When I pull away from rest there is a sloshing sound of moving water to the left rear of my car. I think water has got in through the rear of the roof. Anyone know where the drainage holes are? It's not the battery box or the spare wheel area. Could it be in the sills? Over to you guys.

Rayboy
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: water where it shouldn't be

Post by Badman gee »

hello sir,

not wet or damp in the car then?

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you look in the two wells - left and right in the area of the micro-switch connector and under the two covers - L&R - which can be removed by gentle persuasion. You will see a 110mm x 60mm box which is meant to gather any water from the roof and allow it to drain out through a small "rubber tube drain". If this is blocked it may account for what you are hearing if the left side is blocked. Yo have to remove the moulded rubber fill piece to expose this little well. The piece is essentially wedged in there, but on it's front (towards the door) it has a hole which engages over an 8mm threaded bolt which protrudes into that area as if from the door frame side. Getting it out is tricky and maybe others here can explain a clear method action. I recently (last week) posted an enquiry which you may find under "stock exchange" as I was looking for exactly that moulded part to replace my existing one which is US'd. I have an idea that my enquiry was for the "part number required" heading. Emek actually posted 2 pics of the L&R side parts I am referring to. Anyhow, you should have a fair idea of the area I'm referring to.
I imagine you've already checked the door on the left ?? If not open the door and lie under the bottom edge and check that the drain holes are open there too.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

Cheers Badman

I'll have a poke around and see what occurs.
Haven't been able to make the East Coast Crew's Cruises of late. Moved house and busy work-wise. Which when you are self employed is no bad thing.
Hope you all have a blinder at Silverstone.

Thanks again

Rayboy
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

:dunce: :head: :oops: Sorry should have thanked Southernboy but message to East Coast heroes still applies.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

My guess is that the well on the passenger side of the boot is full of water. If you remove the left hand side trim, there is a well behind the wheel arch. The bottom of this is the usual location for the alarm tilt switch. Water in there normally comes in through the third brakelight or the cable gromet for the bootlid wiring.

Cheers R.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc