mildew on hood

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
oldfart59

Z3 roadster 2.2i

mildew on hood

Post by oldfart59 »

Anyone got any tips on how to get rid of a bit of green mildew on seams of my hood

cheers
cooknerkid

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: mildew on hood

Post by cooknerkid »

Hi when I bought mine it had green on it--- I used the Meguires Roof Cleaner from Halfords- It did the job well -I seem to remember it came in a twin pack- cleaner and proofer together, Cooknerkid :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Mild-ew green fairy liquid? :lol:

I use BMW cabrio-roof cleaner. You spray it on, then rub it in with a sponge and then wash it off. You'll be amazed at how much dirt comes out.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

There was a hose pipe ban here in Lincolnshire until July!
Normally I treat my hoods in May with Renovo cleaner, followed up by proofer but couldn't this year. :(
My daily driver lives on the drive and there are quite a few trees. Hence to say his hood was quite mildewy until last week.
Best course of action is to first scrape off with a knife...... boring and took me about two hours. Then hoover thoroughly to remove as much green powder as you can.This saves it forming a green river and penetrating the hood when you hose it. Hose it thoroughly. I used Fairy liquid and kept hosing it over and over and used a dust pan brush to rub the liquid in over about an hour. This got nearly all of it off. Then use Renovo cleaner the next day and hose off thoroughly. Finally use Renovo proofer and you should be in business. Rather painstaking but I did think I would need a new hood but this worked really well.

Happy hood cleaning! :D
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Another vote for Renovo.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

The Autoglym kit is pretty good as you get a natty sponge especially for the job to work the cleaner into the hood.

Shudder at using washing up liquid as it will kill your paint and rust the car, lots of nice salt :wink:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

I use Milton Fluid after cleaning off the visible mildew. It is very mild and will kill the remaining mildew spores. It can be got from any chemist or supermarket on the "Items for Babies" aisle.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

My hood was very "green" when I bought my Z and none of the proprietary brands of cleaner cleared it. I used a power washer and got a fantastic result. Be careful round the windows and rear screen if you try it. Followed that with a re proof and job sorted. This was a last resort as I was going to replace the hood if I couldn`t get it clean. 2 years on and it`s still ok. Good luck.