dropping Z3 prices

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Eastsix

Not specified

dropping Z3 prices

Post by Eastsix »

I was just having a mooch on ebay and I found this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-BMW-Z4-3 ... 4abc2b9249

86000 mile Z4 3.0 2003, for under £4k! Ok its no minter, but neither are the Z3's put up for sale generally. Its incredible to me, I dont understand whats happened to the market in the last couple of years. maybe in these tougher times its just seen as a bit of an unneccessary luxury second car by a lot of people. Wish i'd held off a bit before buying mine!
2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
cooknerkid

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: dropping Z3 prices

Post by cooknerkid »

I know prices have dropped generally, but you must bear in mind that to an extent the z3 prices are governed by the price of a z4, which have absolutely tumbled over the last couple of years- A friend of mine paid £22k 4 yrs ago for a z4 which is now worth £8k, and hes only done 13k miles, just over a £1 per mile in depreciation . If you reckon the depreciation is bad on these- My other car is an X5 !!!!!
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

I didnt really make my point in the first post - its not suprising Z3 prices are coming down if you can get a Z4 3.0 for that kind of money. On the other hand, maybe it means i'll be able to pick up a Z3M coupe for £5k soon! :drive
cooknerkid

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cooknerkid »

Eastsix wrote:I didnt really make my point in the first post - its not suprising Z3 prices are coming down if you can get a Z4 3.0 for that kind of money. On the other hand, maybe it means i'll be able to pick up a Z3M coupe for £5k soon! :drive
only if you get there before me !!!!!!
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Looking at some of the prices Z3s are going for I might be tempted to buy one just for spares!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

It was only to be expected that prices would drop once I bought one. :D Likewise the poor summer we had as I've never owned a convertible before. :D

However, even though I originally planned to buy my Z3 as a stopgap to getting a TVR, I think that I may be keeping the Z3 much longer than I intended, plus adding a few upgrades too. This way I get to have a reasonably powerful multicylinder convertible and keep my RS2000 as well (which would have to go if I want a TVR). So really my only regret is that perhaps I could have waited a bit longer and bought a Z3M instead. However I did make the concious decision not to look at Z3Ms because my Z3 has to sit outside and I perceived the M as being more likely to get pinched or messed with.

I've been insulated regarding depreciation having had company cars for over 10 years and the RS2000 for 16 years now (it's appreciating now it seems), but I bought the Z3 thinking that if I kept it in good condition (or slowly improved it) then the value would hold once the dealer's margin was knocked off. It seems I was wrong, but then hearing the compliments at the MOT station last week by the various mechanics makes me think that maybe I've got quite a decent example. 8-)
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Yeah thats always nice - my local BMW independent always says mine is the nicest he sees (presumably not including Gazzas Z3M, of course 8-) )
I'm leaving mine up for sale, but I just cant imagine selling it for the silly money they go for now. Not with only 65K on the clock, and the ear to ear grin i get whenever i open her up on a country road.
knoxvillain

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by knoxvillain »

There are a lot of sellers out there who seem to have an unrealistic view on what their Z3s are worth having just been in the market for buying one.

Even if you do understandably love your Z3, at the end of the day it's only worth what someone will pay for it. Remember the market for 2 seat sports cars is also more limited than 4/5 seat cars.
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

Price dropping! This 'V' reg 2 litre is for salle near me for £7995! OK so it's only done 16,500 miles but it's been for sale for some time now.
http://finance.autoexposure.co.uk/drill ... TV53284217
I bought mine in a private sale for £4600 nearly four years ago with 85,000 miles and have enjoyed it but with a few minor issues during that time.
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

This one is not that far from me. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4247242.htm
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Zedbedee wrote:Price dropping! This 'V' reg 2 litre is for salle near me for £7995! OK so it's only done 16,500 miles but it's been for sale for some time now.
I bought mine in a private sale for £4600 nearly four years ago with 85,000 miles and have enjoyed it but with a few minor issues during that time.
£7995! Thats why its still for sale :shock:
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
knoxvillain

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by knoxvillain »

Zedbedee wrote:Price dropping! This 'V' reg 2 litre is for salle near me for £7995! OK so it's only done 16,500 miles but it's been for sale for some time now.
Wise Buyer values it at £4600 retail, £3700 private.
Ragtop wrote:This one is not that far from me. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4247242.htm
Wise Buyer values that car at ~£6000 so its twice the price it should be.

Low mileage is great bit it certainly doesn't double the value of a car ;)
goldersboy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by goldersboy »

This is an interesting discussion I think prices will hit rock bottom in next couple of years I did buy a car as parts source and paid 520 for it and I am sure that has got to be bottom line, as the spares value will always be high,a good bonnet will cost 500 in todays money and that will increase in next couple of years.

There are only about 17000 z3's left and they are disappearing at about 1000 a year according to "How many are left" website and i am certain that people will start appreciating the car as a collectors car and a really fun and cheapish vehicle to own. As more old fella's like myself buy them to run around on sunny days people will always want to buy the genuine car and have access to reasonably priced parts.
shultz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by shultz »

Hi all, I'm new to the Z3 owners club but not new to the Z3. I have been in the Motor trade for over 25yrs and have had many Z3's through our Garage. I even sold these new when i worked at BMW in Bournemouth. The reason i joined the club is that a Z3 came on to our forecourt recently. The Model is a 1998 R' reg 2.8 with only 45k miles Full service history with BMW and in great condition with only two lady owners from new. The price i paid was 3,300 pounds. Apart from requiring a new rear screen it was faultless. So good i decided to keep it ! or the wife has....
I have recently sourced for a friend a 3.0 sport 2001 X reg with only 31,000 miles, FSH BMW, All extras, sports heated seats, h/light wash etc. Price paid 4600 with new tyres, battery, 12 mths mot, first aid kit still in the plastic bag..( you get the picture). Now regarding what dealers think of pricing it comes down to 2 things really, mileage and condition. a 100k 1.8 would be valued by us at say 1500 with a resale of 2695.(in the summer) and a 3.0 with 30k would probably sell at 5995. The Z4 will suppress the value to some extent, but i think like the VW Golf GTI mk1 will in time over take the later model. They are not the fastest sellers as we probably sell Mazda MX5'S five To one over the Z3. Will they ever be classic cars, probably not due to the numbers and variations made. Some dealers do not sign up to the Z3 as they are mostly 12 year old sports cars and sell better through a private sale. It's not really on peoples radar, unlike the Mazda MX5, ( still made even though they came out in 1989 /90)The Audi TTis still made and that was launched over 10 yrs ago as well.
Any way the site is a great source for information even for garages like us, keep up the good work and thanks.
Berso

blank

Post by Berso »

I suppose for zed owners that may someday plan on selling the price drop is frustrating. Also for those owners who cherish their zed and believe it to be near priceless it must be fairly irritating.

Either way for aspiring owners such as myself the price drop is good news. I've dreamed of owning a Z3 since I was in school in the late 90's.

The day is getting closer, next year hopefully.

When eventually the day comes you can expect a flurry of stupid question threads on the site!

Berso.

PS. This site is an excellent resource. Well done to the owners/moderators.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I think Z3 prices are still very good considering the age, a friend just sold a 1998 328i 3 Series conv for £900 :shock:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Tend to agree with Gazza. A friend of mine has a a MGTF and prices for those have plummeted. I'm sure the comment above is a crafty ploy by Mr Shultz to make Z owners depressed, sale their cars cheaply to him so he could make millions and retire to Spain at the age of 35! :wink:
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I just had a second look at the "How many left?" site.
Seems like at the peak there were 17,000 Z3s in the UK (I thought it was higher) and the disappearance rate is quite low IMO at ~300/year.
Seems like a crowd of people who must love their vehicles. :cheers