Loaded and ready to tour

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Loaded and ready to tour

Post by Z3andZ4 »

Not sure I've remembered the photo bucket import, but off to France for 3 weeks tomorrow at 0530.

Boot rammed, luggage rack in full use.

Tyres 38 rear and 35 front.

Tonneau managed to slot behind roll bars, compressor in boot - no golf clubs!!

Will work out photo bucket when I get there and show some Nice and Cannes topless snaps (of the car of course).

Au revoir

Mod Edit: Image fixed for you - you just need to copy and paste the IMG box.
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Loaded and ready to tour

Post by Brian H »

Z3andZ4 wrote:http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/Z3and ... e.jpg.html

Not sure I've remembered the photo bucket import, but off to France for 3 weeks tomorrow at 0530.

Boot rammed, luggage rack in full use.

Tyres 38 rear and 35 front.

Tonneau managed to slot behind roll bars, compressor in boot - no golf clubs!!

Will work out photo bucket when I get there and show some Nice and Cannes topless snaps (of the car of course).

Au revoir
Have a great trip, just use the IMG link to the right of the photo instead of direct link :wink:
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Have a great time, and post lots of pics for us all :D Safe journey.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Ayez de grandes vacances :drive
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Fixed the image link for you. Hit "Quote" to see what I did.

Have a lovely time and look forward to seeing some photos of the places you visit. :drive

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Batchem1

M roadster S50

Post by Batchem1 »

Sounds like a great trip, and you're off a few weeks ahead of me.
Looking forward to hearing your experiences and seeing the photos.
Would also appreciate any tips, lessons learned on packing, etc.
I hadn't thought of trying the tonneau cover behind the roll bars - will give that a try!
Safe journey.
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Have a great time , sure your gonna enjoy it.
We are off with Billz & Zedwheels .
8 weeks today.8-)
Moz

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Good luck, enjoy the trip.
Pingu
joebuck

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by joebuck »

Bit late but dont forget your wet gear,France is not having the best of weather recently (3months that is) things can only get better. Bon route
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/Z3and ... 1.jpg.html

Bon jour,

Well here we are in French France - much to report for those who can stay awake and are interested.

First things first, I have changed the deflectors on the front now!! My son was aghast when he saw what I had done, they are now on the correct lights!! So now that embarrassment is over.

12 hours door or door from Cambs to Nantes. Euro tunnel was excellent read vehicle plate and sign in said welcome Mr XXXXX etc. Car did not bottom put on or off euro tunnel. Weather was excellent for driving and with stops it was just a very long cruise of about 550 miles I think - all done at a very economic 31 mpg. Weather been poor since here so lots of time in the car driving me :-), passenger :-( So,we are now at Chatelallion Plage just below La Rochelle for the week before heading south to Grasse on Saturday (600 miles). Super unleaded only 2 cents more than 95 :-)

The photo was taken at La Flotte on the Ile de Re, during a thunderstorm.

Car has been truly extraordinary. Comfortable on cruise and no back ache. Been bottoming out a bit too much in the small towns even with no luggage which is ultra annoying and sounds worse than it is, but not a good thing. Needs a jolly good hoovering inside and a polish, but they can wait till Grasse. In intend doing much topless cruising (did I say posing) onthe south coast and am going to Monaco at least twice if not more. Want to get a good video if passenger can stomach it!! The boomy baffle exhaust in the tunnel will be glorious.

This car is just so brilliant and with 3 Litres on tap at 31mpg what on earth more could one want?

The tonneau folded brilliantly into the empty space behind the roll bars and will obviously come into it's own down south. We did not go OTT on luggage, but could not have managed without the luggage rack for sure or I would only have had the clothes I am standing in for two weeks - yuk.

Seen no police, done very little night driving, and avoided the beer till safely back at base camp.

Weather picked up today but boy has it been grim till today.

Am really looking forward to the south coast for sure.......more anon.
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

Bon jour,

Well here we are in French France - much to report for those who can stay awake and are interested.

First things first, I have changed the deflectors on the front now!! My son was aghast when he saw what I had done, they are now on the correct lights!! So now that embarrassment is over.

12 hours door or door from Cambs to Nantes. Euro tunnel was excellent read vehicle plate and sign in said welcome Mr XXXXX etc. Car did not bottom put on or off euro tunnel. Weather was excellent for driving and with stops it was just a very long cruise of about 550 miles I think - all done at a very economic 31 mpg. Weather been poor since here so lots of time in the car driving me :-), passenger :-( So,we are now at Chatelallion Plage just below La Rochelle for the week before heading south to Grasse on Saturday (600 miles). Super unleaded only 2 cents more than 95 :-)

The photo was taken at La Flotte on the Ile de Re, during a thunderstorm.

Car has been truly extraordinary. Comfortable on cruise and no back ache. Been bottoming out a bit too much in the small towns even with no luggage which is ultra annoying and sounds worse than it is, but not a good thing. Needs a jolly good hoovering inside and a polish, but they can wait till Grasse. In intend doing much topless cruising (did I say posing) onthe south coast and am going to Monaco at least twice if not more. Want to get a good video if passenger can stomach it!! The boomy baffle exhaust in the tunnel will be glorious.

This car is just so brilliant and with 3 Litres on tap at 31mpg what on earth more could one want?

The tonneau folded brilliantly into the empty space behind the roll bars and will obviously come into it's own down south. We did not go OTT on luggage, but could not have managed without the luggage rack for sure or I would only have had the clothes I am standing in for two weeks - yuk.

Seen no police, done very little night driving, and avoided the beer till safely back at base camp.

Weather picked up today but boy has it been grim till today.

Am really looking forward to the south coast for sure.......more anon.

Mod Edit: Still no cigar. I'll point you in the right direction later. R.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Excellent, i wondered how you would go on getting on the train if lowered. You sound to be enjoying it which is great - Have a safe trip to Monoco and the south.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Batchem1

M roadster S50

Post by Batchem1 »

Well, I take my hat off to you!
I'm on my maiden Z3 trip, just up to Norfolk for a few days from Somerset, and I won't say we've struggled for luggage space but we couldn't have got anything more in and I'm fairly sure that there'll be stuff we need that we won't have brought.
We clearly have a lot to learn about packing - but I'm confident that we'll get there!
Enjoy your tour!!
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

In terms of packing we have the legally required stuff, triangles and alcohol checkers and bulbs. Car was hugely carefully checked for fluids and tyres before leaving . Tyre checking was started a fortnight before leaving in case of slow puncture. Bought a compressor from Halfords which will double as jump starter and for tyres checking and blowing up in emergency. Decided that spare was a waste of time and space as if did get terminal blowout it was either the wife of the 18 Inch alloy in passenger seat and didn't want to have to make that decision, as if not close to airport wife may struggle to get home.

Could have done better with a new gadget that apparently sucks all of the air out of plastic bags into which you put clothes first. Apparently it's a vacuum pack and you can save doodles of space. Not sure how large the actual gadget for sucking out the air is though - did not investigate this as only learned about it at the last minute.

It can be done, but only with military precision.

Weather shockingly bad again today so we'll have to go driving :-) :-)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Z3andZ4 wrote: Could have done better with a new gadget that apparently sucks all of the air out of plastic bags into which you put clothes first. Apparently it's a vacuum pack and you can save doodles of space. Not sure how large the actual gadget for sucking out the air is though - did not investigate this as only learned about it at the last minute.
I suspect you're thinking of something like this, where you use your hoover to suck the air out:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 753971.htm

Obviously I'm not suggesting you pack the hoover too - you'd need to borrow one as and when!! :D
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

we did a similar tour a few years back we had a week in a mountain village near Perpignan then a week in theole sur mer just outside cannes it was brilliant cruising around with the top down everyday take a boat to st tropez for a day they run like busses from theoul ser mer are cheap and it means you can have a drink with your lunch and the veiew coming into st tropez by boat is great
this thread made me look through me photo album deffo one of the best road trips we have done
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

theoul ser mer you say Paul.s We are here this very minute. Fantastic place and a great place to base yourself just been for a top down run along the coast for some lunch.

Was really happy with the Z3 performance / comfort just on 1000 miles door to door. Had an overnight just north of Lyon then took the Route Napoleon to Grasse, which was fantastic.

Have a great time Z3andZ4

Moray
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Thought you should know that your beam converters are fitted on the wrong lights! The dip units are the outer ones . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Thought you should know that your beam converters are fitted on the wrong lights! The dip units are the outer ones . . .

From the guru himself: :D

http://www.bmwccgbforum.co.uk/masking-h ... c7661.html
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/Z3and ... c.jpg.html

Thanks for advising re lights. Fortunately when I posted my first photo my son told me and as you can see they've been moved!!

Weather still poor but clocking up the miles :-)

Today close to Rochefort near the flooded Charente. No signs of damage where we were near Ile Madame.

Getting ready for the biggie Saturday 0700 La Rochelle to Grasse 595 miles - hopefully in 9 hours.

Weather surely better than here.......need to get my top off, especially as I have the tonneau behind the seats.

Suppose looking on the bright side I could be at work in Vauxhall sweating in 30 degrees with no aircon. :-(

Hope to have nicer photos soon.

So to the weekend......
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/Z3and ... d.jpg.html

Well now you can see they have been corrected!!

Grasse is 30 degrees next week :-)
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Hope to spot you coming up the Atlantic Coast on 4th July, as we head down to St Jean de Mont and then down to La Rochelle, a fortnight in all. Hope you are having better weather now. You have got good MPG at 31, our 2 litre Z3 did 35 last year. We are taking the Z4 this year as the boot is bigger and the mileage better at average 44mpg.
Envy you the time in Monaco, something we have always wanted to do. Hope you have a great time, waiting for the next lot of pics.
Mike & Sandy
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

Well all still going swimmingly well.

La Rochelle to Grasse accomplished in 10 hours with breaks. 30 mpg as was hitting it a bit towards the end as fatigue was setting in. 600 miles.

Got to villa in Grasse and grounded car badly on the way down to the villa and then could not get car back up!!!! Horrid noises and slightly burnt clutch, but car now parked up at top of hill!! Picked up considerable road debris damage on motorways and looks like front sill will be in for respray on return. Also then had a muppet hit rear bumper in supermarket car park, just a glancing blow, but respray needed there too now.

Went to Nice today. French drivers have got to be amongst the worst I have experienced. Their behaviour on the motorways is unreal, lane swapping all the time, no indication and when they see the Brit plate that seems to bring on auto road rage. The scooters also think they own the road. Had a couple of lovely moments today as they thought I should have left them space to squeeze past!!! I think non.

Monaco on Thursday - can't wait......only one sleep. Will ensure I get better photo's then.

Only 30 degrees today and top down all day.......how's the rain? It must be raining it's Wimbledon.

For those of you who use sports drinks along with Robinson's Britvic also have a Lucozade equivalent - Gatorade. Do try it is most refreshing and particularly good for those Ironmen and tri-athletes amongst you...
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

What a great trip!

Keep the updates coming if only to make us jealous.

That's a nice looking pizza delivery girl in your last photo :wink:

Oh, I've just noticed that your car is in the photo too! :lol:

Regards

Peter