Leaky Brake Light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Leaky Brake Light

Post by Rocketbike »

Hi
My boot brake light is leaking, even after putting in a new gasket. With no gasket in the light clips up nicely and sits quite tightly to the body work. With a gasket in, its hard, but possile to clip the two parts together, but the centre part, which by design only has a clip on one side, bows out. I think its just because its old, and theres not much I can do, but before I resort to the gasket and silicone, am I missing something, have others had the same problem and theres something else can do?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Leaky Brake Light

Post by BladeRunner919 »

They are incredibly difficult to clip together with a new gasket. Even though you think it's clipped together, it will probably go a bit more. I had this problem and it really did take a lot of effort to get it to sit correctly.
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Never did get mine to clip together enough to seal properly despite many attempts using a fair amount of force.I even tried in the end to clean up the plastic lugs as I think with age they lose their grip especially the centre ones.It is a pity when it was designed that there was not a few screws in the middle as the ends fit together fine.
I ended up using the gasket but also used a little clear silicon but apply sparingly as it does not take much to fill the gap and even then it can get messy!!!
All well now and no more swimming lessons for the battery.
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Take a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31600 - a lot of people have had the same issue, the trick in my case was to make the plastic clips "more springy" by heating them.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

Thanks for the replies. I was getting all set up to fix this as per the responses and threads, got myself a heat gun and so on, and not being in a rush left it 2 or 3 weeks, and it just stopped leaking without me doing anything else. The gasket is quite an odd spongy thing, and I just wonder if it settles and expands after it's fitted. Anyway, cured for now!
Cheers :)
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

3rd brake light gaskets are available to buy.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

t-tony wrote:3rd brake light gaskets are available to buy.
Isn't that what this thread is about? He bought a new one and had trouble refitting the light with it in place!
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Oops.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"