Alarm help pleeeeeeeaaassseeee

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dumpertruck

Z3 roadster 2.8

Alarm help pleeeeeeeaaassseeee

Post by dumpertruck »

Hi all. I've got a 98 z3 2.8. I've searched the forum but can't find a answer. My alarm randomly goes off. I've tried disconnecting the various switches etc but still triggers. The alarm is armed and disarmed from the main bmw key. No extra fob. If I lock it using the key it doesn't set the alarm and it's fine. What I want to know is how to disconnect the alarm or disable it so I can still make use of the remote locking from the key without the bloody thing setting the alarm :cry:
Any help will be very gratefully received. Thanks guys
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Alarm help pleeeeeeeaaassseeee

Post by Robert T »

Short answer is you can't.

The usual suspect for the alarm going off is the bonnet switch. To test, just disconnect it. If that doesn't work try disabling the interior movement sensors by pressing the lock button a second time. If you leave the window down, you should be able to test that they are disabled. You can then put the window up and try it again overnight. If it still goes off, look at the stereo anti-theft switch and door switches.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I thought on some Z3's you could turn off the alarm
under the bonnet with a key :?
You could on my old 1.9 Z3
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Boysie, that turns off the siren, not the alarm, and only applies to the early alarm with the housebrick remote. :wink:

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
cooknerkid

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cooknerkid »

I have a 2000 2.8 , and suffered with the alarm going off at random- sometimes a month or more between alarms and sometimes 10 minutes. I had a local indy put it on their diagnostic, and they felt it indicated that the internal sensor which sits in front of the gearstick under the console was faulty. If this is the issue, you can set the alarm with remote, then within a few seconds hold down remote button again for 5 secs, and this disables the internal sensor.( as if you were leaving the top down)--
It is a free method of testing it- hope it works.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

cooknerkid wrote:...you can set the alarm with remote, then within a few seconds hold down remote button again for 5 secs...
You don't need to hold the button down for 5 seconds, you just need to press it for a second time within 5 seconds of the first press. You can tell if this has worked by watching the way the alarm tell tale light flashes when you press for the second time.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Dave L2 wrote:
cooknerkid wrote:...you can set the alarm with remote, then within a few seconds hold down remote button again for 5 secs...
You don't need to hold the button down for 5 seconds, you just need to press it for a second time within 5 seconds of the first press. You can tell if this has worked by watching the way the alarm tell tale light flashes when you press for the second time.

Why are non of these instructions ever written down in any manuals? :head:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Fender2004 wrote:Why are non of these instructions ever written down in any manuals? :head:
They're in the one that came with my car! :rtm:
BMW Z3 Owner's Handbook p36 wrote:Locking, deadlocking and switching off the tilt alarm sensor* and interior movement detector*
Locking and deadlocking: press button 2.

Note that if the car is locked from the outside, anyone remaining inside the car will be unable to unlock it.

Switching off the alarm tilt sensor* and interior movement detector*: after locking the car, press button 2 a second time.

Further details: see page 39
Page 39 goes on to describe the telltale and tilt sensor.

Cheers R.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Fender2004 wrote:
They are, but your car probably has the other type of alarm where the dash led is also the button to disable the sensors.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
Fender2004 wrote:
They are, but your car probably has the other type of alarm where the dash led is also the button to disable the sensors.

Correct at least I'm not going mad :D my car is a 1997 model with the brick alarm, and to be fair I haven't had any bother with it. (touch wood)
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Fender2004 wrote:.......Correct at least I'm not going mad :D my car is a 1997 model with the brick alarm, and to be fair I haven't had any bother with it. (touch wood)
If `touching wood' stops working, then let me know as I have a copy of the Supplementary Owner's Handbook for the 3G EWS which I believe covers your system. Original BMW order no was 01 21 9 790 474.

Cheers