Soft top, how to tell if its electric or manual?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dapc

Not specified

Soft top, how to tell if its electric or manual?

Post by dapc »

As the title above really? Because I had a hard top i really dont remeber if it was manual or electric. or are they all electric? It looks like its a manual but i want to double check.

Thank you!

Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Soft top, how to tell if its electric or manual?

Post by Gazza »

Check in the boot, LH side behind the trim there should be a pump.

Easier than that, have you a roof switch on the console ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

The car has been scrapped, this is how I collected my parts so I really cannot remember if the thing had a electric roof.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Ring bmw with the Chassis number, it should be on the build list?

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

If you don't have the hydro/electric motor gear to sell does it really make any difference? Surely the actual soft top would be the same regardless how it was raised and lowered. Unless there are extra brackets to accommodate the motors. If a car needs them they are there, if not you wouldn't need to use them?
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi All, As Tony says there is no difference between the hood/frame assembly between manual or power operation to my knowledge. I am thinking of converting my manual hood to power (simply for poseur value!) and when looking at what is involved I found the wiring loom for the motor/pump already present. Also the micro switch, it's cover and wiring loom is also present on the hood frame.All that is needed to convert is the pump / ram assembly together with a mount for it which was spot welded to the nearside inner wheel arch in production. Obviously the operating switch on the centre console will be needed too. So to sum up I think (certainly on my 2002 car) the hood on manual or power operation vehicles all have the wiring loom and micro switch fitted. . . . . unless anyone knows different!!

BB
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The roof IS identical regardless of whether it was electric or manual. Where the electric roof is fitted with a hydraulic ram to raise and lower it, the manual roof has a gas strut to assist with the opening and closing. The only telltale that might be left on a roof removed from the car is a microswitch in the hinge above where the passenger (left-hand) door would have been.

Edit: Beaten to it! :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

As far as I know the electric roof was an optional extra on the 1.9 whereas I think it was standard on the 2.2 and 3.0 (postfacelift). On mine the original owner was a bit tight :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I converted my wife's Zed roof from manual to electric.... a doddle... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

I would like to say thank you ever so much for all your reply's. so basically, the hoods are all the same whether electric of not. its just the rest of the stuff which the car should already have to make it work. excellent

and iv just checked the chassis number and yes, it says eletromech. thanks guys!
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

So, have had a look at where my roof hinges and I see no microswitch sender and dealership confirms no electric roof etc..

To refit, I "assume" that the connection to the foot pedal is part of the loom?

So its a case of adding pump & bracket, adding the "button" by the alarm and changing the strut over of course….

On what I have picked up from the threads, it would be case of finding the wires to feed up the hood frame and adding the microswitch of course….

Then, with hood back, foot on brake and button pressed, the hood will drop back….(i.e. hood back so that microswitch is uncompressed etc…)…

Ian
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You are almost correct.

The foot-on-brake detection is done using the normal brake pedal switch. This should already be wired into the car's main harness.

The roof microswitch comes off the same piece of loom as supplies the heated rear windscreen. On cars fitted with a manual hood and no hardtop, this is normally found taped back on itself behind the passenger (left-hand) lateral trim panel (where the strut is/ram goes). You will need both the microswitch AND the cable that leads up to it - about a meter long.

The loom for the pump motor should already be threaded through to the boot - look behind the left-hand trim panel for this.

Cheers R.
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-2002-BMW ... 0112027%26

Ok…so is this the long wire seen here on the damper?

Thanks
Ian
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

fish wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-2002-BMW ... 0112027%26

Ok…so is this the long wire seen here on the damper?

Thanks
Ian
those are not wires, they are the hydraulic hoses that feed the ram from the pump. They are normally filled with hydraulic oil. There are no electrics to the damper/ram

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Interesting additional photo of a third brakelight on the above ad! :-?

I forgot to mention that you will need to thread the hydraulic hoses for the ram through to the pump in the boot. This is what is pictured - the ram with two hoses attached.

The microswitch should have a base and lever piece and be attached to a length of two core sheathed cable, preferably with a connector on the end. Though the wiring isn't difficult, getting something to operate the switch at the correct angle would be. You could of course bypass the microswitch completely, but if you can get the parts, it is simple enough to fit.

Cheers R.
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

ok, so the final piece of the puzzle being (I assume) is that the wires from the microswitch go back to…

A) the pump
B) the wires on the car, that are in the same loom near the heated rear window….

ok..just seen on post above…"The roof microswitch comes off the same piece of loom as supplies the heated rear windscreen…"….

ok, all kind of makes sense…I see on Real OEM that that the nuts and bolts are hollow to allow the fluid to pump the ram etc….

Folding top micro switch 1 54348407250

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=54&fg=10

My 2002 2.2 Sport does not have the microswitch built into the roof….